Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #16
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I like the K3 just as it is with perhaps a couple of suggestions:

1- Get rid of the Facebook/Twitter thing

2- Improve PDF viewing (flow, anyone?)

Love, love, love the footprint - svelte, thin & lightweight. Display quality is outstanding. And Amazon - please do not incorporate a touch screen in future models!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Unolord
Unolord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch
1) ePub support
2) Better PDF support
3) View books by cover or just create a nicer looking menu system.
4) A "visible" mp3 player or scrap it

Great device but there are areas to improve. Don't expect ePub to happen since Amazon is about selling books and not providing free access to bestsellers...
Unolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I guess I do find the very limited mp3 player a surprise even if labeled experimental. Just plays in the order uploaded?? Very odd.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
+add ePub support via ADE.
+change the plastic housing and go with an aluminum housing.
+go with a 7" screen and make the wifi K3 the price of the wifi+3G and up the wifi+3G price the same as the current difference.
I+ would give the K3 folder support and collections
+give the K3 proper font support
+give the k3 Mobipocket support
+fix the Mobipocket renderer on the k3 to be as good as Mobipocket Reader for windows
+get rid of the social networking
+give full PDF support including margin removal
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unolord View Post
4) A "visible" mp3 player or scrap it
It already has one. Simply put the mp3 in the "audible" folder instead of the "music" folder. It will then appear as a listed book and when opened you get a visible player. This mode it there ostensibly for audio books but works for any mp3. It even remembers you place when you exit the "book" and return later.

More extensive application of display font size: For me, my biggest want is for the font size choice to function on the home/directory screen. I would prefer to be able to select a smaller font with more lines per page, though others may wish for the reverse.

Button placement: Another thing that would be an improvement for me would be to move the page change buttons further up the side of the device. When I hold my K3 in one hand with my thumb as high as practical on the "next" button it is still a bit top heavy. Balance would be better if I could place my hand further up the side of the device without loosing the ability to press the button.

PDF: I would like more zoom options, but the big thing we need is for every one to stop using PDF for eBooks. If you must create a PDF for use on an eBook device it needs to be formatted for the smaller display size.

One thing I don't want is a folder based Collections method unless it is in addition to the current method. I really like, and make good use of, the ability to assign any one book to multiple Collections. This is something that is impossible if Collections are purely folder based.

Last edited by dwig; 10-12-2010 at 09:00 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
lfb001
lfb001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Disable right/left hand page buttons

I would like an option to disable the right or left hand page buttons. Being a right handed I never use the left side page controls.
lfb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfb001 View Post
I would like an option to disable the right or left hand page buttons. Being a right handed I never use the left side page controls.
Welcome to MR!

heeheh that is something I never thought I would see. Most people dislike that the DX only has buttons on the right side, even though all you have to do is rotate the screen to get the buttons on the left.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Welcome to MR!

heeheh that is something I never thought I would see. Most people dislike that the DX only has buttons on the right side, even though all you have to do is rotate the screen to get the buttons on the left.
That is one of the things holding me back as well. I alternate the buttons often, so turning the DX would be a major pain and ruin the flow of my reading.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #24
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
What I'd like to see on a future model:

Dump Wi-Fi and the Keyboard. I just want to read novels, I don't want to surf the web or take notes or play games.

Call it a Kindle Lite or something like that. It would be cheaper ($99? $75) and lighter/more compact.

What I'd like to see added through firmware updates:

1) Add epub support, even if it's just non DRM. epub is just a better format for the most part. It's easier to work with.

2) Let me change the time for when it goes to sleep. Maybe it's my imagination but they seem to have lengthened it in 3.02. But when I first got it, it seemed like every time I put it down to do something for a moment, when I came back it was in sleep mode. Something that gets old quick.

3) Screensavers/Fonts. At least let me pick the images. I don't mind some of them, but Emily Dickinson really is disturbing. I thought people were being silly. But no, it really does look like she's about to jump out of the kindle and devour your soul.

(To be fair, I guess I'm really in favor of something more like the Kobo, and probably would have gotten one of those if it used the pearl e-ink. But it doesn't so I'm stuck with the K3)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfb001 View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, lbf001.

C'mon over and introduce yourself. Click on my link below......start a new thread and meet some folks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 AM   #26
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
  • Remove forced margins from PDF viewer.
  • Fullscreen view for PDF viewer.
  • Spacebar and shift-spacebar acts as next/prev page turner when no other letters are entered, which is useful in landscape orientation.
  • Go to... should include an option to specify a book percentage or the numbers of screens forward/backwards. It's too hard to use 'location' to achieve the same results.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #27
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Dear Mr Amazon, would you fix it for me that my K3:

1. Allows me to adjust how long it takes before the unit goes in to sleep mode?

2. That when it does go in to sleep mode, it allows me to choose a nice screensaver (even if this is limited to ones I have to download from your site)?

3. That I can change both the margin size and whether to have left or fully justified by simply having options in the settings, and not by having to get in to the pref folder?

4. That, if it does not blow your business model wide apart, I can read drmed epubs?

I know I will have thought of more in the morning, so I ask this of you now so that I don't seem too greedy.

Oh, and also what TheKindleWorm said about prices on your website.
Yeah...I would love an on and off switch for the sleep mode. I rather have none of it. I just want option. Same with screen saver, I want to turn it off or on and customize it. I would love it if we could put our own screensavers. Not these creepy dead people...Of all the screensavers here I only like the bird picture. All the others, nope. Also would like to be able to make subfolders within the collection folders.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #28
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Yeah...I would love an on and off switch for the sleep mode. I rather have none of it. I just want option. Same with screen saver, I want to turn it off or on and customize it. I would love it if we could put our own screensavers. Not these creepy dead people...Of all the screensavers here I only like the bird picture. All the others, nope. Also would like to be able to make subfolders within the collection folders.
You can put your own pictures for screensavers.. It's quite easy to do actually.
I think there are debug options to enable/disable/timedelay screensaver also.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #29
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Yeah...I would love an on and off switch for the sleep mode. I rather have none of it. I just want option.
DISCLAIMER- There is a method I've seen on various kindle boards but you need to take care when using a method like this because potentially it could mess up your kindle! So perhaps do some more research first before trying! I haven't tried it personally because I don't want to disable my screensaver - I'm just letting you know that this method does exist and that it's something that can be typed straight into your Kindle search box.

on google look up: ;debugOn ~disableScreensaver

or view the whole of this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99229
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I would like better PDF support, and (i know some of you will hate this) colour. I download cardmaking blogs RSS feeds via Calibre and the pictures in colour would be fabulous.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote