Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Your opinion - Top 10 Pern books/series from Anne McAffrey?

I'm just wondering what everyone here would consider to be the top 10 books or series from Anne McAffrey's Pern series? I myself can't think of a top 5, but my top three come from the Harper Hall trilogy. What about you guys?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I enjoy them all the way up to "All the Weyrs of Pern"....at that point the artificial intelligence/dolphins etc cost the series much of it's appeal for me.

I "made" my daughter start reading the Harper Hall trilogy this summer, they're certainly a favorite of mine as well.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
  1. Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern. Her best-written and best-plotted story, in my opinion, even if nowhere near my personal favourite.
  2. Dragonquest. Good expansion on the "mysteries" introduced in Dragonflight and addresses the change of status quo and cultural clash between Oldtimers who were accustomed to more deference and the newer dragonriders who've had to basically support themselves.
  3. Dragonsinger. Menolly may be a Mary Sue, what with her incredible musical gifts, 9+ fire-lizards, and ability to win over just about everyone with her winningest personality that wins over just about everyone, but at least she's an entertaining one.
  4. Dragonsong. Bumped down a bit because she whines and feels more sorry for herself in this one. Also, the obstacles against her are a bit more over-the-top.
  5. The White Dragon. Continues on from Dragonquest, with the stuff expanded upon there coming to a head. Jaxom annoys me, but I like Ruth, and it's nice to see things from the previous books resolved in a believable way.
  6. Dragonsdawn. How the colony got started, and how it adapted in the ways that would eventually produce "modern" Pernese society. Ranked lower because it's more of a set-up prequel than a "classic" Pern book.
  7. Dragonflight. Got everything started and a pretty good standalone sword-and-sorcery feudal barbarian warlords-type story in its own right.

Bumped a few places down because its "tone" isn't quite congruent with the books further down the line and can be a bit jarring if read back-to-back. Also, skeevy gender relationship issues which admittedly never disappear, but are more open and obvious in this volume in the series.
  8. All the Weyrs of Pern. My personal favourite. Yes, I know I have no taste. But I've always been a sucker for technological "uplift" stories.

Bookends Dragonsdawn in dealing with Thread. I pretend the series ended here, and every time I've let go of that pretense long enough to try a further novel out of morbid curiosity, I've ended up… not quite regretting it per se, but just wishing I'd continued to keep pretending.
  9. First Fall: The Chronicles of Pern. I make an exception for this, since it's mostly a collection of previously-written short stories. Good fill-in-the-blanks on certain aspects of Pernese history.

Post preview says the above list goes up to 9, so I'll add in Dragondrums for a 10th, even though I don't really like it all that much and Piemur is kind of annoying. But it provides a bridge between Dragonquest and The White Dragon which explains certain stuff about the Southern Continent and is better written than the back half of Renegades of Pern which pretty much repeats the same, but with extra "When will this book finally end?!".

Mind you, I did like the post-Thella/Jayge/Aramina bits where they rediscover Landing. But that's about it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Harper Hall Trilogy, hands down!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Nothing that Todd McCaffrey (yes, it's McCaffrey) got his sticky little hands on.
No mysterious spaceships, telepathic dolphins, or random ancestors.
No flying, rideable whers.
Moreta is right out -- it doesn't have anything to do with her description in Dragonflight.

Actually ... Weyr Search was my favorite. Dragonflight was good. Dragonquest, not so much. Dragonsong and Dragonsinger were decent, Dragondrums I could read again, The White Dragon the same, but most of the rest ... can we get a picture of a cow being milked here?

I used to wait at the store for them to come out of the UPS boxes (yeah, I'm that old); I haven't even looked at the last ones. Too bad, they started out great.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I like them all, but then I like the "Brain and Brawn" or "Brainship" series as well.
I find her "Elemental Masters" series a little harder to get into, though.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I'm just wondering what everyone here would consider to be the top 10 books or series from Anne McAffrey's Pern series?
I don't think I could come up with a "top 10" - not enough of them are outstanding. I've enjoyed them all; but most of them tend to clump together in terms of enjoyability.

If I had to recommend five... Dragonsdawn, the original trilogy, and All the Weyrs of Pern (tying the trilogy and Dragonsdawn together).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I like them all, but then I like the "Brain and Brawn" or "Brainship" series as well.
I find her "Elemental Masters" series a little harder to get into, though.
"Elemental Masters" is by Mercedes Lackey. I actually rather like those.

I believe that only the Helva storeis were wirtten by Anne McCaffrey; she licensed or loaned her name, and possibly suggestions, to other authors, but the stories are their own.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I rather liked them all, there were parts of each book I love and parts from those same books that I didn't really care about.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
Dragonflight, Dragonquest, White Dragon and Harper Hall trilogy. I'm with Ken M on the brain & brawn series though the Joat story (brain city that fought) was enjoyable.

I'm a glutton for techno-space opera and anything that I can immerse in for a while and forget how old I really am.
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
[QUOTE=Worldwalker;1156545]"Elemental Masters" is by Mercedes Lackey. I actually rather like those.
QUOTE]

Right, she also did the sequel to "The Witches of Karres" titled "The Wizard of
Karres", so I guess she has no problem with sharing a concept.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To me, most of her Dragon books were done in her "fat Elvis" stage...

I am a sucker for Decision at Doona.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I like the original three (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon), the Harper Hall trilogy, and Masterharper of Pern. The others I haven't been that impressed with. I read several, but wouldn't re-read them.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Right, she also did the sequel to "The Witches of Karres" titled "The Wizard of Karres", so I guess she has no problem with sharing a concept.
Yep, Mercedes Lackey has done a fair number of shared books, including many of the Bard's Tale books, back in her early days. There are times I think I prefer the shared ones (mistaken loves and abused kids don't seem to play such a prominent part). I didn't realize there was a McCaffrey connection to "Elemental Masters", though.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I can't remember, it's been that long since I read them, even then I think I only read the first two or three (I think that was all that had been written when I read them).

Coincidentally, about a month ago though I made myself a note to look for them in an ebook and read them again knowing there were more books now.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote