Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #19591
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now for Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer. Her 19th book. It seems strangely familiar. I'm wondering if I read it in paper some time long ago.
Probably. Or maybe just that a log of her books have a similar premise. But you'll enjoy it regardless, they're always fun.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #19592
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Power Play by Joseph Finder
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #19593
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Just finished A Dedicated Man, the second book in the DCI Banks series, by Peter Robinson. I liked it. Was surprised by who the murderer was, which seldom happens when I read mysteries.

Moving on to Past Caring by Robert Goddard. I have read all of Goddard's books (he's on my automatic buy list), but I read this one ages ago. Looking forward to it. I love historical fiction and mysteries, and this book combines the two.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #19594
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm currently reading "The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt, which won this year's Pulitzer Prize for Best Novel.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-18-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: ho-ho: 'one' to 'won'
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #19595
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And now for Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer. Her 19th book. It seems strangely familiar. I'm wondering if I read it in paper some time long ago.
The familiarity was because I must have read the first chapter a while back before deciding I was in the mood for something else.

A delightful romance set in Regency England, although any attempt to make a mystery out of it is just for amusement. Great fun.

Next up: The Sea Without a Shore by David Drake. The latest in his RCN series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #19596
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown based on a reco by Gazella and what a great read!

Next up Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie recommended by HarryT
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #19597
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I just finished reading Dragon's Time, the 4th book in the New Adventures of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey. It was an OK read, but it had been quite a while since I had read the earlier books in the series and I found myself a little bit confused about who a character was. It uses time travel quite freely (as you might guess from the title) and sometimes it was confusing to know the time reference for a scene. (This book is no where NEAR as well put together as Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife.) But, with that said, it was a book set on Pern and it had dragons in it. What's not to like? I was a bit surprised at the number of scathing reviews on Goodreads. I borrowed this book from my library via Overdrive and as soon as I finished it, I jumped in and checked out the sequel Sky Dragons. I'm finding it a little bit clearer (or maybe it's just that I moved directly from one book to the next).
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #19598
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown based on a reco by Gazella and what a great read!
It certainly is! I'm so glad you read it. It just won the 2014 Indies Choice Book Awards for Non-Fiction Book of the Year. Also, a film version of the book is in development
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #19599
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
It certainly is! I'm so glad you read it. It just won the 2014 Indies Choice Book Awards for Non-Fiction Book of the Year. Also, a film version of the book is in development
Oh dear. Who's your choice for Joe Rantz, George Pocock & Al Ulbrickson? Not to mention the others.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #19600
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Oh dear. Who's your choice for Joe Rantz, George Pocock & Al Ulbrickson? Not to mention the others.
Hmm ... Jeffrey Donovan as Al Ulbrickson and Hugh Jackman or Christian Bale as George Pocock. I can't think of an actor suitable to play the role of Rantz! I thought of Joseph Gordon-Levitt but he's not that tall and he'd have to dye his hair blonde I don't know. I assume they'll hire someone not known. Who do you have in mind?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #19601
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: The Sea Without a Shore by David Drake. The latest in his RCN series.
That was good. Slightly less space action than previous novels, and perhaps not so much character development, but a fun adventure just the same.

Now for The Complete Lythande by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Bought from Book View Cafe in a sale in December last year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #19602
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Hmm ... Jeffrey Donovan as Al Ulbrickson and Hugh Jackman or Christian Bale as George Pocock. I can't think of an actor suitable to play the role of Rantz! I thought of Joseph Gordon-Levitt but he's not that tall and he'd have to dye his hair blonde I don't know. I assume they'll hire someone not known. Who do you have in mind?
Don't know. Obviously he'd have to be tall, young and blond (Sorry Tom Cruise, you need not apply).
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #19603
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Don't know. Obviously he'd have to be tall, young and blond (Sorry Tom Cruise, you need not apply).
Of course Tom could do it. After all he was 6 foot 5 in Jack Reacher.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #19604
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #19605
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
We need to talk.