Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #19576
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde for the book club.
I finally finished this today at lunch. Discussion to come later, but I certainly won't be following WT Sharpe's example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished the 1891 version of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. That makes two versions of the novel, viewings of two separate movie adaptations, and the reading of one graphic novel; all ingested in the past three weeks. I do believe I'm ready now for the MobileRead Book Club discussion of that book which will start on the 20th.
One time is enough for me.

Next is Holes by Louis Sachar which should be a much quicker read. I need something easy after the last few books I have read.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #19577
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. I liked this book a lot. Quite a fascinating take on what might the Earth be like a few thousand years from now.

I'm now re-reading The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan, the 4th book of The Wheel of Time. Slow start so far, but haven't had much reading time.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #19578
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No more than 3 1/2 stars. Just too many inconsistencies and unbelievable things. The narrative itself is well done, and you want to keep reading. But it's like cotton candy. When you're done, it feels incomplete and insubstantial. I'll probably read the next one in the series, but no immediately.
Ah, nothing like a really good Liaden story. Just finished the "free" story that Lee&Miller put up on SplinterUniverse.com today Roving Gambler. Excellent Liaden story set on Surebleak. And well over 50 pages in length, so not a short story.

Also just finishing up The Burglar Who Counted The Spoons, by Lawrence Block. Number 11 in the Bernie Rhodenbarr series, and a very enjoyable read, as always. Plus it was a free loan from Amazon Prime.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 AM   #19579
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next is Holes by Louis Sachar which should be a much quicker read. I need something easy after the last few books I have read.
Definitely quicker and easier. I was quite surprised how close this was to the movie. The movie is probably the closest adaptation to a novel that I have seen.

Next is The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. Not quite my normal type of story, but given the accolades it has received and the good reviews here and elsewhere, I thought I would try it.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #19580
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished the 1891 version of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. That makes two versions of the novel, viewings of two separate movie adaptations, and the reading of one graphic novel; all ingested in the past three weeks. I do believe I'm ready now for the MobileRead Book Club discussion of that book which will start on the 20th.
Now, that's dedication
It took me a long time to read the introduction and preliminary explanation, so I just started the story in itself.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #19581
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Now, that's dedication
It took me a long time to read the introduction and preliminary explanation, so I just started the story in itself.
Yes, I read the lengthy Intro in the Uncensored version as well. It was interesting, but not as much so as the story itself.

The only version I didn't read was the 1890 version that, although heavily censored by the original publisher, nonetheless still had enough of the original story that it formed the backbone of the evidence that led to his conviction on the charges of indecency and sodomy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #19582
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, nothing like a really good Liaden story. Just finished the "free" story that Lee&Miller put up on SplinterUniverse.com today Roving Gambler. Excellent Liaden story set on Surebleak. And well over 50 pages in length, so not a short story.

Also just finishing up The Burglar Who Counted The Spoons, by Lawrence Block. Number 11 in the Bernie Rhodenbarr series, and a very enjoyable read, as always. Plus it was a free loan from Amazon Prime.
Well, that was a fun read. One thing you can always count on with Lawrence Block, for sure. 4 stars, cause it's light reading. But good light reading.

Next up, Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb. I've tried to read her before, and given up, but maybe this time will be different. And it's a Library book, so nothing lost except my time if I don't like it. This is the first in a series, so if I like it, all to the good.
Meanwhile, I have the first of the Inspector Banks books by Peter Robinson on my Kindle if the Robin Hobb doesn't work. I tried to read this series years ago, since my DW likes them a lot. Somehow, the didn't work for me at the time. But I think it's time to re-visit that.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #19583
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Next up, Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb. I've tried to read her before, and given up, but maybe this time will be different. And it's a Library book, so nothing lost except my time if I don't like it. This is the first in a series, so if I like it, all to the good.
Which of her other books have you tried?

I purchased this back in 2011 and still haven't gotten around to it. I did like the Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer) series but this one just hasn't been very high on my list for some reason. I haven't read any others though. I look forward to your thoughts on this one.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #19584
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Which of her other books have you tried?

I purchased this back in 2011 and still haven't gotten around to it. I did like the Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer) series but this one just hasn't been very high on my list for some reason. I haven't read any others though. I look forward to your thoughts on this one.
I think it was the first in the Farseer series, but it obviously wasn't memorable enough for me to be sure. It was a BCLibrary download, so I hadn't spent any $$ on it. But I read maybe 25 pages, and returned it to the library. For some reason, it just wasn't working for me right then. Could have been conjunctural. I have period where I go off fantasy a bit. So we'll see. I'll definitely report back.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #19585
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for The Reptile Room by Lemony Snickett. I'd like to see how things progress, for at least one book. A freebie from Amazon in 2010.
Much like the first book really. I don't think I'm going to continue with the reast, although I'll leave them on my TBR for now. They are a quick fun read, but I suspect that they will be even more samey from now on.

Next up: Burdens of the Dead by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer. The latest (from Feb 2013) in their Heirs of Alexandria series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #19586
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just completed reading Evil Under the Sun. It was a great read and it was certainly a lot different than the 1982 movie! Next I'll be reading Deadlock (V.I. Warshawski #2) by Sara Paretsky.
I just completed reading Deadlock. It was a great read and I enjoyed it immensely! Now I'lve begun reading The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody #2) by Elizabeth Peters.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #19587
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I finished White Night the other day and now have started Small Favor. Both are from the Dresden Files series. I'm trying to get caught up before the next book comes out at the end of May. Eye doctor appointment tomorrow so I should get a good 5 or 6 hours of listening in while I wait for my eyes to return to normal.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #19588
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Also currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just completed reading Deadlock. It was a great read and I enjoyed it immensely! Now I'lve begun reading The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody #2) by Elizabeth Peters.
I just started reading Alaska Traveler: Dispatches from America's Last Frontier by Dana Stabenow.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #19589
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Last week I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and now I'm reading The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough.

I like it so far and it's interesting to read another book set in ancient Rome (I read the first 4 books in the Marcus Didius Falco series). First Man in Rome is far broader in scope, with multiple POVs and big events but less information on day to day life.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #19590
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Burdens of the Dead by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer. The latest (from Feb 2013) in their Heirs of Alexandria series.
Oh, that was very good. Well, apart from a few paragraphs that were from the previous book almost verbatim. Some editor didn't catch the repetition. I'm looking forward to the next instalment, whenever it arrives.

And now for Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer. Her 19th book. It seems strangely familiar. I'm wondering if I read it in paper some time long ago.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote