Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #19561
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh, I liked that one a lot. I hope you enjoy it too.
about 20% in and enjoying it so far.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #19562
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The Toymaker (& other stories) by Raymond F Jones, a fictionwise buy from June 2004, first published 1951.
And it holds up remarkably well for 60-year-old SF. A good number of interesting ideas, although the plots are characters are a little creaky.

Then I read The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snickett, the first of thirteen in his children's books "A Series of Unfortunate Events". It was a fun quick read, but certainly a children's story. However, as they are fun and quick I shall probably read the rest eventually. (I got most as freebies in April 2010 and filled in the gaps when they were on special offer at £0.99 back in December 2013.)

Next up: Half a Crown by Jo Walton. The third in her alternate history "Small Change" series. I'm not sure why she skipped Penny, Tuppence, Thruppence, Tanner, Bob and Florin, but in this series Half a Crown comes after Ha'penny.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #19563
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Just finished "Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1945-1956" by Anne Applebaum, to complete my reading of the 2013 Cundill Prize shortlist books. This was the winning book, and an excellent read. Highly topical, too, given the recent events in Eastern Europe.

Now that I'm done with the 2013 Cundill shortlist, I'm working on the 2014 Lionel Gelber Prize shortlist. Midway through that, since I'd already read two of the finalists.

Just started reading "The Battle of Bretton Woods: John Maynard Keynes, Harry Dexter White, and the Making of A New World Order" by Benn Steil. Surprising readable so far, considering that it's about the genesis of the post-WW2 monetary system.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #19564
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Next up: Half a Crown by Jo Walton. The third in her alternate history "Small Change" series. I'm not sure why she skipped Penny, Tuppence, Thruppence, Tanner, Bob and Florin, but in this series Half a Crown comes after Ha'penny.
Maybe she wanted room to go back? Or, more likely, she figured no one younger than 40 or so would have a clue. But you're right, weird.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #19565
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'm already about 1/3rd of the way in. Excellent as expected. And I think I can see why it's Half a Crown. I suspect the title was irrisistable.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-15-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #19566
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Evil Under the Sun", by Agatha Christie. This was her 37th book, originally published in 1941.

Poirot is on holiday at a hotel off the coast of Devon, when one of the guests, a well-known actress, is found strangled on the beach (which reinforces the view that you know you're in BIG trouble if you find yourself at the same holiday destination as a famous detective!). Poirot investigates.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. An interesting cast of characters, and an intriguing plot. Highly recommended.

On now to SF: "Manalone" by Colin Kapp, published under the "SF Gateway" imprint. I remember reading this when I was a teenager and enjoying it. Standing up very well to a re-read thus far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #19567
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Started "The undercover economist", by Tim Harford. I am 10% into it and so far I have really enjoyed. It's my first non fiction read (Not counting "The God Delusion" in audiobook) this year and I am glad I picked this one.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #19568
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Started "The undercover economist", by Tim Harford. I am 10% into it and so far I have really enjoyed. It's my first non fiction read (Not counting "The God Delusion" in audiobook) this year and I am glad I picked this one.
I read it last year and found it very readable for a book on economics - a subject I would normally avoid like the plague.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #19569
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Manalone" - an SF novel from 1977 by the (IMHO) much under-rated British author, Colin Kapp, who died in 2007. SF Gateway publish pretty much his entire output, although, like most of the stuff they publish, I don't think they have US rights, so it won't be available there.

"Manalone" is set in a future Britain, where society is crumbling and over half the population is out of work. The protagonist is a physicist who notices that the laws of physics seem to be changing, and the government is trying to suppress all evidence of the past. The book tells the story of his search to uncover the truth of what's happening.

A short book, but very enjoyable. I recommend it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #19570
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Manalone" - an SF novel from 1977 by the (IMHO) much under-rated British author, Colin Kapp, who died in 2007. SF Gateway publish pretty much his entire output, although, like most of the stuff they publish, I don't think they have US rights, so it won't be available there.

"Manalone" is set in a future Britain, where society is crumbling and over half the population is out of work. The protagonist is a physicist who notices that the laws of physics seem to be changing, and the government is trying to suppress all evidence of the past. The book tells the story of his search to uncover the truth of what's happening.

That one does sound interesting. It intrigues me whenever I hear scientists talk about the possibilities of other universes having different laws of physics than ours, and the idea of being in a reality where those laws are mutating is an interesting one to explore. My TBR list is so immense that I have no idea when I'll get around to looking at it, but I just downloaded a sample.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #19571
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

It appears Hachette has the US rights. There are quite a few of his books on Amazon, all priced in the $3.79 to $6.99 price range. Unfortunately, Manalone is a $6.99 one. Not sure I am willing to spend that. Hmmm. Must check Kobo...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #19572
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Half a Crown by Jo Walton.
Excellent alternate history. I don't usually like straight alternate history, but this is very good indeed.

Now for The Reptile Room by Lemony Snickett. I'd like to see how things progress, for at least one book. A freebie from Amazon in 2010.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #19573
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Power Play by Joseph Finder
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #19574
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished the 1891 version of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. That makes two versions of the novel, viewings of two separate movie adaptations, and the reading of one graphic novel; all ingested in the past three weeks. I do believe I'm ready now for the MobileRead Book Club discussion of that book which will start on the 20th.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #19575
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just started the uncensored version of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote