Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #19501
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finished The Martian a really good book. I rated it 4.5 of 5 stars on Librarything.

As I got near the end I really...

Spoiler:
...expected everyone on Hermes to die. I mean, the way the book was going, how could his luck hold.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #19502
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I really enjoyed this book when I read it many years ago. My edition has a glossary, so that you can translate the Russian-based slang. Doesn't sound like yours has that?
I read the Kindle edition. It didn't have a glossary. It would've been very useful though.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #19503
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I finished The Martian a really good book. I rated it 4.5 of 5 stars on Librarything.

As I got near the end I really...

Spoiler:
...expected everyone on Hermes to die. I mean, the way the book was going, how could his luck hold.

No! I wouldn't have liked that!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #19504
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I completed Crocodile on the Sandbank. It was really an enjoyable read and I suspect I'll be reading others in this series in the future. Now on to Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher #8) by Kerry Greenwood.
I finished reading Urn Burial and as always really enjoyed the continuing adventures of Phryne Fisher. Now on to Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot #23) by Agatha Christie.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #19505
Gazella
Wizard

Anyone who enjoys reading non-fiction should to take a look at The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown. For those who do not read non-fiction should also check it out; I guarantee you, after reading this book you'll be wanting to read more of the same. It's about the University of Washington's varsity rowing crew and their quest for an Olympic gold medal. Please do not let that be a turn off for you. I didn't know a lot about rowing prior to reading this book. Nor do I watch this sport (though I'm interested now) but this definitely did not stop me from enjoying the book. It's centered around the life of one of the varsity crew member, Joe Rantz. The narration jumps between Rantz's life and his and his crew's quest to the Olympics and then goes to talk about an important event that occured during that time; like the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl, Hitler's reign/life, etc.

I immensely enjoy reading non-fiction and my favorite in the genre has always been Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken however, after reading The Boys in the Boat, it has become my all-time favorite right above Hillenbrand's. Yes it's that good, and even better. The author, Daniel James Brown did an outstanding job writing this book. His storytelling skills are extraordinary. I've read a lot of non-fictions that are dull but this one is far from that. Literally, the best book I've read so far. A truly entertaining and remarkable work of narrative non-fiction. Highly recommended.

I'm going to post the link to the Kindle edition for anyone interested. It's $10.99 but totally worth the price.

Last edited by Gazella; 04-08-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Posted link
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #19506
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
No! I wouldn't have liked that!
This sort of spoils the end of the book... so...

Spoiler:

Yes, there is something I recall reading, but I don't recall where or when that talked about the culture of the happy ending. People want a happy ending. They can love a book, but if the hero dies at the end, or nothing is resolved or whatever, people decide they don't like the book.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #19507
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This sort of spoils the end of the book... so...

Spoiler:

Yes, there is something I recall reading, but I don't recall where or when that talked about the culture of the happy ending. People want a happy ending. They can love a book, but if the hero dies at the end, or nothing is resolved or whatever, people decide they don't like the book.

Interesting. And true
Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #19508
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm back full-throttle into A Game of Thrones - book one, chapter 32 from 72. I had halted after zapping for awhile...

and to think there's 4 extra heavy tomes after that.

but it grabbed me. Fine, fine prose and narrative arcs focusing on many viewpoints, interesting characters and plot and subplots. Never watched the TV series...

in the meanwhile also bought Dan Brown's Da Vinci and Stephen King's The Shining (incredibly low bargain price). I also see Plato and Dickens waving at me from under the pile.

can a man ever find the time to pursue all his interests?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #19509
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I am going to have to try Bury Your Dead. I read the first four, enjoyed them, and then have abandoned the 5th one at least three times. Just don't like it. Not sure what it is, but what ever it is, started in the 4th, but got worse in the 5th.

OTOH, you're not the first person who has liked the 6th, and my DW even said to just skip the 5th. Whatever it is that's bugging me about the 5th, it bothered her as well, but not enough to abandon it. So I guess I'll have to give the 6th a try. It's in Calibre, since she bought it, so it won't count against my $$.
For what it's worth, I hated #5 and you lose nothing by skipping it since the case is rehashed in its entirety in the next book, although I don't recommend reading either. My comments in this thread about these two books from last summer are spoilered below:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Brutal Telling and Bury Your Dead (#5 and 6 of the Three Pines series) by Louise Penny were read back to back. I was very annoyed when the investigation in #5 of the series was rushed and wrong and a complete waste of time. The next book re-opens the case and starts over, plus they manage to save the world from terrorists. Yes, it is as lame as it sounds. I want my cozy Three Pines stories back.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #19510
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
For what it's worth, I hated #5 and you lose nothing by skipping it since the case is rehashed in its entirety in the next book, although I don't recommend reading either. My comments in this thread about these two books from last summer are spoilered below:
Oh, dear. Maybe I'll just wait on that, and find something else to read. Ah, I've got it! Nothing cozier than a Miss Silver mystery.

Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries are starting to make it to eBook. They are PD in some places, but not in others, and IAC there are good versions available for cheap. I'm currently reading Case is Closed, #2 in the series. I had read it years ago, but have forgotten almost all the plot so enjoying it quite a bit again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #19511
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I ended up reading Honor Harrington #8, Echoes of Honor, and really enjoyed it. I may start #9, Ashes of Victory, since none of my library holds have come in yet. At least the first couple chapters to see what the fallout from the last book is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I have found myself skipping and skimming large sections* of Ashes of Victory which is not a good sign. If it gets worse, I will put it on hold for a while and move on to something else. Either way I will be taking a break from Honor Harrington after this.

*The info dumps seem to be more numerous and longer in the last couple books than the previous ones. Hopefully, assuming I finish this one before I take a break, the anthologies will help me get back into the Honorverse when I decide to continue. I will be following pdurrant's suggested reading order I think.
Well, it took forever, but I finally finished Ashes of Victory. Not a very satisfying ending, but it was fun there for a while. It will probably be a while before I start the next one.

Next is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde for the book club.

Last edited by Dazrin; 04-09-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #19512
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Just finished Ghost in the Machine, by Ed James (self-published). Story wasn't bad, but the story-telling was amateurish.

Right now, reading The Giver, by Lois Lowry - dystopian science fiction. Read it many, many, many times as a teenager and early 20s, but not for several years, so I'm actually really enjoying rediscovering it.

I hear a movie based on the book is being made.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #19513
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries are starting to make it to eBook. They are PD in some places, but not in others
Patricia Wentworth died in 1961, so they're out of copyright in life+50 countries (e.g. Canada), but won't be out of copyright in life+70 until 2032.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #19514
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries are starting to make it to eBook. They are PD in some places, but not in others, and IAC there are good versions available for cheap. I'm currently reading Case is Closed, #2 in the series. I had read it years ago, but have forgotten almost all the plot so enjoying it quite a bit again.
Can you advise where they are available cheaply? They are £3.95 at Amazon UK, which I wouldn't regard as cheap, although it's certainly not outrageous.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #19515
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I am reading Fever: A Novel by Mary Beth Keane. It is based on "Typhoid Mary." I'm 7% in and finding it good so far.
If you're interested, Typhoid Mary by Anthony Bourdain is currently $1.99 at Amazon (originally $9.59; $10.99 at B&N)