Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #19486
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray, and what a Wilde trip it was. This version was not released to the reading public until 2011. There have been 3 versions of this work. The first was heavily censored by the publisher, but even so, enough remained that eventually Oscar Wilde was convicted to two years hard labor, based largely upon evidence found in that 1890 version, for sodomy and gross indecency. The 1891 version, which is what most people know, was expanded to 20 chapters and toned down considerable. The uncensored version was finally published in 2011 by Harvard University Press under its Belknap Press imprint and contains Wilde's original work, with nothing removed.

If anyone's interested, the MobileRead Book Club will be discussing The Picture of Dorian Gray (reader's choice which version to read) starting on the 20th of April.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #19487
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray is next on my TBR. I have 5 more chapters to read to finish Divergent and Oscar Wilde it'll be.
Regarding Divergent, I like it more than expected. And I'll finish it before the movie hits theaters on Wednesday, bonus point because that's a first to me

Divergent is finished. I liked it quite a bit, maybe more than The Hunger Games (well, in a different way). Sweet is the word that comes to mind when I think of Divergent, but I need to give it more thoughts to come up with a real review.
Now on to The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray. I really don't know what to expect at all. Surprise, surprise

Last edited by samhy; 04-07-2014 at 03:05 PM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #19488
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But next up is Much Fall of Blood by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint & Dave Freer, the third in their "Heirs of Alexandria" series about a magical Venice in the 1500s.
I'm only 50 pages in, but I'm already enjoying it a great deal. Some very funny passages, among the political intrigue and magic.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #19489
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Ya I saw the deal and posted it in one of the threads in the 'Deals' sub forum an hour ago but it's originally $2.99 not $16
I thought that looked kind of high, but that is what Kindle said I saved.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #19490
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I thought that looked kind of high, but that is what Kindle said I saved.
When it says that, it's referring to the "cover price" of the printed edition, not the previous price of the ebook .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #19491
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Gallowglass, the 4th and last of the Douglas Brodie series by Gordon Ferris. Enjoyed the first 3 and this seems to be up to the same standard. Can visualise how grim postwar Glasgow is.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #19492
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I decided to reread Marcel Proust's À la Recherche du temps perdu, probably better known to English-speakers as Remembrance of Things Past. I've read Proust several times in the past, but never straight through, i.e. reading this or that component volume as needed.

It seems to be a more pleasurable and immersive experience to read Proust on an e-reader, as opposed to my now-yellowing too-fine print set of "folio" paperbacks. One of these days I'll have to invest in a Pléiade edition of Proust, but probably not for everyday reading.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #19493
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Over the past few days I finished a few books I was reading.

Bury Your Dead is the 6th Inspector Gamache novel by Louise Penny. Each one of these just seems a bit better than the last and this one will be hard to top. What a great book and the Quebec history is sound and interesting.

I read Letters From a Nut by RL Nancy. Funny enough that I couldn't read when anyone else was asleep in the house. I look forward to the sequels.

I just finished Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight by ME Thomas (pseudonym). This was rather chilling. An autobiography of a diagnosed 30 year old female sociopath. The book begins with an excerpt from her psych evaluation. Interesting book - I hope she doesn't write a sequel.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #19494
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I am going to have to try Bury Your Dead. I read the first four, enjoyed them, and then have abandoned the 5th one at least three times. Just don't like it. Not sure what it is, but what ever it is, started in the 4th, but got worse in the 5th.

OTOH, you're not the first person who has liked the 6th, and my DW even said to just skip the 5th. Whatever it is that's bugging me about the 5th, it bothered her as well, but not enough to abandon it. So I guess I'll have to give the 6th a try. It's in Calibre, since she bought it, so it won't count against my $$.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #19495
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
The problem with skipping the 5th book is that you'll have some difficulty grasping one of the plot lines. You may want to read a synopsis or get someone to fill you in on what happens in The Brutal Telling.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #19496
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Just finished reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess...

A Clockwork Orange is not an easy novel to read by any means. It’s laborious. And all due to the Nadsat (“teenage") argot, which much of the novel is narrated in.
I really enjoyed this book when I read it many years ago. My edition has a glossary, so that you can translate the Russian-based slang. Doesn't sound like yours has that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray, and what a Wilde trip it was...
That's the version I have bought. Looking forward to it after your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray is next on my TBR.
Next on mine too. Not sure I'll have finished it by the 20th though...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #19497
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading the first book in the "Hunger Games" trilogy, the title of which I'm too lazy to go and look for. I don't generally go in for "Young Adult" (I hate that term!) books, but I got this in one of Amazon's sales a while back at a very low price, so I thought I'd have a go.

It's an "OK" read. Certainly not deserving of the hype that I've seen it get in some places. As I generally find with children's books, character development is minimal, and the whole thing seems rather shallow. I'm gritting my teeth at the first person narrative, which I loath.

Can you tell that I'm not terribly impressed by it?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #19498
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Reading the first book in the "Hunger Games" trilogy, the title of which I'm too lazy to go and look for. I don't generally go in for "Young Adult" (I hate that term!) books, but I got this in one of Amazon's sales a while back at a very low price, so I thought I'd have a go.

It's an "OK" read. Certainly not deserving of the hype that I've seen it get in some places. As I generally find with children's books, character development is minimal, and the whole thing seems rather shallow. I'm gritting my teeth at the first person narrative, which I loath.

Can you tell that I'm not terribly impressed by it?
Ha! I loved it but I have a soft spot for dystopia. I did think her lesser known and more YA-ish Gregor the Overlander series was better, though.

Oh, the first one is The Hunger Games. The second one is Catching Fire and the third one is Mockingjay.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #19499
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Finished "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe", by Agatha Christie (US title "The Patriotic Murders"). This was her 36th book, and was originally published in 1940.

When Hercule Poirot's own dentist, Henry Morley, is found dead from a gunshot wound, the official verdict is that he has killed himself; a verdict apparently supported when it appears that he has given one of his patients a fatal overdose of anaesthetic. Poirot suspects, however, that there is more to the case than at first appears, and soon events confirm his worst suspicions.

A very good book. Lots of twists and turns in the plot, and a surprising (for me, at least) ending.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #19500
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Reading the first book in the "Hunger Games" trilogy, the title of which I'm too lazy to go and look for.
It's _The Hunger Games_

pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote