Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
kbs
kbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-books

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
Nooklets!

In what I can only say was a fit of madness, I wondered whether one could develop interesting applications for the Nook entirely in HTML/javascript.

The Nook hides a surprisingly functional browser, and it didn't take too long to put together a little system that runs "nooklets", or little HTML/javascript applications can that interact with you and the nook.

I wrote a couple of sample nooklets to go along with it, and here are some youtube clips. The first nooklet falls somewhere in between a book and a movie. (Well, there's an actual movie clip in it too, somewhere ;-) skip to around 4:00 if you find the Pluto controversy boring.

And an obligatory Sudoku nooklet, which ends up being slightly more entertaining to play than to watch, but here it is anyway.

Nooklets are still very experimental, and writing nooklets (while simpler than writing native Android applications for the nook) still has to deal with the bugs and limitations of the Nook. But maybe you're one of the people who like experimenting anyway! So if you want to run nooklets, please follow the instructions at

http://code.google.com/p/nookapps/wiki/Nooklets

Enjoy,
-kb
kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
This looks great, and promising. The possibilities....
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can install it without wifi ( copy via USB and install by using Trook). It works great.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I am impressed. I removed the softroot from my nook because I found I was happy with the OOB functionality. I may have to re-softroot for this goodness.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I liked the old icons so much and so much disliked the icons on 1.2 stock update I'd softroot just to get my old icons back.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
amunet
amunet began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
First time hearing about this, will have to look into it. I would love to be able to do more with my nook.
amunet is offline   Reply With Quote