Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
B&N head sees company switching to eBooks

Here's a Reuters article that says that yesterday B&N's CEO held a conference call and revealed that B&N's sales of pbooks is going down the drain. Christmas was down 5% from last year.

Thanks to the nook, sales of eBooks were up 32% for the quarter. So the company sees itself transitioning from hard copies to eBooks.

Borders did even worse for Christmas. It was down 14% from the previous year, and is closing 183 Waldenbooks locations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...balMarketsNews
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hrmmmm.... for a company considering a focus on ebooks, they seem to generate a scary number of customer complaints regarding their digital services division...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Borders? All of our Borders around here are closing- thought they were all going out of business

I can't believe they aren't giving it more time- a quarter isn't really long enough to gather enough information to determine if more people will lean towards ebook or paper/hard backs

Don't get me wrong, I love ebooks, but it will be a sad sad day when you can not find a store selling physical copies
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think its inevitable
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Ervserver is right. Its inevitable. The companies that switch now are just establishing hardware presence when it matters. Before everyone else joins the game. Information is getting out of control in this century. If we took all our information and put it on stone tablets, it would weigh more then the Earth! If we did the same with paper markedly less, but the inference is the same. As people gain easier access to publishing technology and humanity grows, information will do the same. And digitally is the next storage solution for it.

Hell, almost all authors already write the books digitally so the first people to read the books are doing it digitally. All that remains now is the technology to make it as comfortable as possible. It doesn't even have to resemble paper. I mean, I'm pretty sure in 50-100 years our grandchildren will be giving us weird looks for reading on "Paper? Isn't that like stone tablets? How... quaint."

eBooks are the future, might as well embrace them now
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I love eBooks, but I hope paper books still survive. They still have a place in this world! However, I expect more eBooks available and better formatting, etc from B&N soon.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote