Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #16
Prince Valiant
Prince Valiant began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350/650/300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I recently got a Sony PRS-T2 cheap. Far better than the T1. Works reliably and the SD Card slot for expansion (32G works) is behind a rear door. A young grandchild will get it this summer. I'll keep the now unique PRS-350.
Of course the WiFi on it is now useless for anything, though if can connect to WPA2 Airpoint. Out of date certs, so no HTTPS. Cute buttons. Better than any Kindle if used with USB & Calibre.

However a Kobo Sage seems now the best all round "portable" ereader. The 10″ & larger from anyone are too heavy and expensive.
The 350 is my favorite; it's a nice size, has buttons, and is otherwise good enough for its purpose. Less distractions without functioning internet access. I've never used a regular Kindle but my experience with a Kindle Fire is enough to put me off.

The Kobo Sage looks nice if someone wants a new reader. I'm not up to date on newer models.
Prince Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:04 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Tolino is anoher brand to consider if you want to stick with epub. I found mine used & cheap on ebay US, don't know about availability in your area. I'm actually on a second one as the first one eventually bricked itself, but it was so cheap that I got my money's worth
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I recently got a Sony PRS-T2 cheap. Far better than the T1. Works reliably and the SD Card slot for expansion (32G works) is behind a rear door. A young grandchild will get it this summer. I'll keep the now unique PRS-350.
Of course the WiFi on it is now useless for anything, though if can connect to WPA2 Airpoint. Out of date certs, so no HTTPS. Cute buttons. Better than any Kindle if used with USB & Calibre.

However a Kobo Sage seems now the best all round "portable" ereader. The 10″ & larger from anyone are too heavy and expensive.
I'm going to have to disagree that the T2 is better then any Kindle. Sure you cannot manage collections with calibre and a Kindle, but the Kindle has custom fonts and weight adjustment. A current enough Kindle handles hi-res graphics better (not too slow or rebooting or freezing and needing a reboot).

Someone on MR modified the reading app for the T1 to add in a clock and allow custom fonts. It worked rather well.

As for the Sage being the best all round portable Reader, I have to disagree. It's too large to be all that portable. I find the Libra 2 to be a better portable Reader because of the size.

If I was to get a Sage, I would also need to get a larger bag to carry it in. The bag I have now fit my Ara H2O and not Libra 2 perfectly. An 8" Reader would not fit.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-01-2023 at 06:17 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:43 AM   #19
amagumo
amagumo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thank you all for your replies. I obtained secondhand KPW-7 GEN and waiting for its delivery. Maybe I can sell my PRS-T1 very cheaply here.

Regards,
Temo
amagumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:07 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagumo View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I obtained secondhand KPW-7 GEN and waiting for its delivery. Maybe I can sell my PRS-T1 very cheaply here.

Regards,
Temo
After having the T1, I don't think you'll like how the Kindle does not integrate well with Calibre. The T1 at least allows collections to be made with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:21 AM   #21
amagumo
amagumo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After having the T1, I don't think you'll like how the Kindle does not integrate well with Calibre. The T1 at least allows collections to be made with Calibre.
That is not a problem. I can drop calibre altogether.
amagumo is offline   Reply With Quote