Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
Jupiter7
Jupiter7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One, (Previous: Kobo Glo, Glo HD)
Kobo Mini - When did Kobo Upgrade the Screen?

I bought 2 Kobo Mini’s off eBay recently, installed the Kobo Glo’s firmware (4.31.19086) on them so that they still can sync with overdrive loans etc following Kobo’s decision to removal support for them as senior citizens etc.

One thing I didn’t realise was that Kobo must of changed supply of the screen during the later manufactures, because there is a noticeable difference in screen contrast (blacker rather than dark grey e-ink) between these 2 units.

The older Kobo Mini unit N705292007390 has the less contrasting, almost fuzzier screen.
The newer Kobo Mini unit N705313010992 has the better contrast, much sharper screen.
You can see the difference in the photos.

Has anyone else with a Kobo Mini (still) noticed this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F62D30C8-5E2E-4686-B25D-9463A1C7D016.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	192117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE244067-73BA-4409-BEA6-098DEBFA1028.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	192118   Click image for larger version

Name:	932CB06C-4550-4E0C-A0B3-9F2D00A4E573.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	192119   Click image for larger version

Name:	5798C91C-4B1D-4BD1-BE07-EA1EDE82392E.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	192120  
Jupiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The font weight looks different to me. Are the settings the exact same?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
One thing I didn’t realise was that Kobo must of changed supply of the screen during the later manufactures, because there is a noticeable difference in screen contrast (blacker rather than dark grey e-ink) between these 2 units.

Yes, I definitely noticed it. I recently bought a Kobo Mini (and replaced the battery) and its screen is like your newer one. The other two Kobo Minis that I still have, have the grey lettering (like your older Mini) and much poorer contrast.

The new one's serial number is N705313016045
The old one's serial numbers are N705293017092
. ..................................and... N7052A2005101

The two old ones are definitely "muddier."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
Jupiter7

Thanks Rcentros,

I have also taken the snapback cover off and unscrewed the back covers. The older unit had the factory fitted 2GB Micro SD card, the newer unit had the factory fitted 4GB Micro SD (though 2GB of those 4GB are not user accessible unless you re-partition that card).

So i’m wondering if the improved blacker display screen models were only the ones that also contained the factory fitted 4GB micro SD inside?
Old 02-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks Rcentros,

I have also taken the snapback cover off and unscrewed the back covers. The older unit had the factory fitted 2GB Micro SD card, the newer unit had the factory fitted 4GB Micro SD (though 2GB of those 4GB are not user accessible unless you re-partition that card).

So i’m wondering if the improved blacker display screen models were only the ones that also contained the factory fitted 4GB micro SD inside?
I can confirm that my newer Kobo Mini has the 4GB microSD card. I took it apart to replace the battery and posted pictures here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342614

I haven't taken the other Minis apart as (so far) I haven't had to replace their batteries. But I'm guessing I would find 2 GB microSD cards.

I've attached one of the pictures from the battery replacement thread (the one that shows the microSD card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	internal3mini.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	192136  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #6
Lesleyk
Lesleyk began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 3
Quote:
I bought 2 Kobo Mini’s off eBay recently, installed the Kobo Glo’s firmware (4.31.19086) on them so that they still can sync with overdrive loans etc following Kobo’s decision to removal support for them as senior citizens etc.

The older Kobo Mini unit N705292007390 has the less contrasting, almost fuzzier screen.
The newer Kobo Mini unit N705313010992 has the better contrast, much sharper screen.
You can see the difference in the photos.

I have found this too, but have never found any information on it, other than a general discussion about whether the screen was vizplex or pearl, maybe they changed to pearl?
Lesleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:23 AM   #7
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Quote:
The older unit had the factory fitted 2GB Micro SD card, the newer unit had the factory fitted 4GB Micro SD (though 2GB of those 4GB are not user accessible unless you re-partition that card)
Maybe it's not necessary to repartition the 4 GB card. I don't know how the partions now are, but with Gparted you can try to grow the partition / add the unused spaced to the partition
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
Jupiter7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
Maybe it's not necessary to repartition the 4 GB card. I don't know how the partions now are, but with Gparted you can try to grow the partition / add the unused spaced to the partition
Yes your right, you can expand the partition of the existing useable space into the ~2GB of unallocated space on the 4GB card.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:04 AM   #9
johnson_chung
johnson_chung began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post

You're right ,it's not necessary to repartition the 4 GB card, it will slow down your machine, I had the experience.
johnson_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:32 PM   #10
dani1887
dani1887 began at the beginning.

Device: Papyre 6.1 Kobo: H2O, Wifi, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yes, I definitely noticed it. I recently bought a Kobo Mini (and replaced the battery) and its screen is like your newer one. The other two Kobo Minis that I still have, have the grey lettering (like your older Mini) and much poorer contrast.

The new one's serial number is N705313016045
The old one's serial numbers are N705293017092
. ..................................and... N7052A2005101

The two old ones are definitely "muddier."
I just bought one on ebay. I always wanted to have a kobo mini. My serial number is N705292016249. I have not had another mini, but for example, the covers do not look sharp, rather they are a gray blur. I didn't know there were minis with a better panel. It hurts not to know before, although deep down I think that as long as I had one, I would have bought it the same.
dani1887 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink, kobo mini