Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 10-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
mwexler
mwexler began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Question Ctrl-W to close viewer gone in 6.x?

Hi, I was using 4.x for a long time, 64bit, windows 10. The ability to quickly view a book then close viewer, dropping back to main Calibre from the keyboard, was really handy. The V (to view) and then Ctrl-W workflow was easy to do with one hand.

I just got into 6.7.1 (needed support for a new kindle), and lots of little conveniences are different. The focus sometimes seems to default to the search box instead of the book list panel, meaning V doesn't open the book that the cursor might be on. But more confusing is the loss of Ctrl-W to close the viewer.

There doesn't seem to be a Keyboard Preference option for this. Sure, Alt-F4 works, but that's really awkward. Is there a keyboard option to "close viewer" that's not so hand-stretchy?

Thanks as ever for all the work folks put into making this amazing tool.
mwexler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
mwexler

Got a pointer to look not for "Close" but for "Quit". Ctrl-q is the current shortcut for that. So, I'll try to change it to ctrl-w again, but at least it's solved. Thanks all!
Old 10-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You really don't want control-w to close the editor because if you are closing tabs and accidentally press control-w once too often, you'll close the editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
mwexler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really don't want control-w to close the editor because if you are closing tabs and accidentally press control-w once too often, you'll close the editor.
Good point, but just using the Viewer as a quick quality check is a different story. In the Editor portion, yeah, I'd be wary of quickly shutting down tabs and leaving a bunch of unclosed tags in my file accidentally.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-16 084110.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	197187

AFAIK the default for Quit the Viewer has always been Ctrl+Q.

So, I suspect your Ctrl+W would have been your customisation.

If you upgraded from 4.? to 6.? on the same machine your customisations should have been retained. Ditto if you used calibre's export/import tools to move you libraries and configuration to another computer.

As has been pointed out, Ctrl+W is most often used for closing the current tab panel in editors, browsers and such like. I use Escape to Quit the Viewer, or Alt+Space, C.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard