Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Smile Kindle PaperWhite 4 Screen Rotation 180 Degree

Hi,

I have Kindle PaperWhite 4 (10th Generation)(2018) WiFi
JB with FW 5.10.1.3 Factory installed.

I have KUAL, KOReader and kterm installed.

Is there any way to enable screen rotation to say 180 degree.

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
dnmmx
Enthusiast

I mean landscape upside down mode.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
I haven't tested on recent devices but this used to work.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's certainly how the Oases did it, worth a try .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Tried on PW2, all rotations work, except D (inverted portrait).

Last edited by hius07; 04-04-2020 at 02:51 PM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
dnmmx
Enthusiast

For others visibility here's the content of the post suggested by PoP:

Some useable tweaks I've found:

-To stop the browser from using an large font, edit /var/local/waf/browser/config.xml and delete the line that says "<setting name="defaultFontSize" value="20"/>" (must be done at each reboot as the device resets the settings)
-To rotate the device (in books and the browser but not home screen), type (in ssh)
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock L
for landscape left
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock R
for landscape right
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock U
for portrait
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock D
for inverted portrait
-To enable accelerator (no point except allow the Kindle to see rotate event, it does nothing with those events though), edit "/etc/upstart/makexconfig" and on line 120, edit "IS_ACCEL=0" to "IS_ACCEL=1"

Do I need to run this command in kterm ?
Just wanted to know is there any possibility of brick as we are dealing with com.lab26.winmgr

Thank you PoP, NiLuJe and hius07 for your responses.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmmx View Post
Do I need to run this command in kterm ?
Just wanted to know is there any possibility of brick as we are dealing with com.lab26.winmgr
Many ways, in kterm, or from a ssh Secure Shell, or from a KUAL extension, or from a ;log runme (storing the commands in /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ...

No danger, rotations (not accelerator) don't modify the file system. Worst case, just reboot the device.

Last edited by PoP; 04-04-2020 at 04:13 PM. Reason: warning accelerator
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:21 AM   #8
dnmmx
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have tried those commands and hius07 you are right, option D is not working.

Is there any other way?

Thank you all for your support.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not really, depending on what you want to do, exactly.

I can certainly rotate the fb myself (either via sysfs or fbdepth, see the K4 thread right next to this one), but neither X nor the stock UI like that very much.

Stuff isn't too broken if you start from U (which happens to be 3 on my PW2, which gets us 1 for the Inverted variant. Look into linuxfb rotate constants for the maths). The UI and a book will actually render Inverted, but touch input won't be translated properly (i.e., still expects to be Upright).

If I do that from any other orientation, things go kablooey real quick, and ligl gets its panties in a twist until I restart x (meaning don't play with this outside of an USBNet shell session).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
dnmmx
Enthusiast

Thank you Niluje
Old 12-06-2020, 04:47 AM   #11
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Many ways, in kterm, or from a ssh Secure Shell, or from a KUAL extension, or from a ;log runme (storing the commands in /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ...
i tried in kterm but the command has no effect on the browser.

In an older thread someone said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That may only be, because your trying to use it from inside of Kterm... Try it from a regular command line prompt (ssh, telnet, or serial port) being sure that the command:
whoami
returns the name: root
Sounds a bit complicated

Last edited by Eures; 12-06-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
Eures
Connoisseur

Actually, however, I would like to rotate the browser 90°, ie landscape mode, as it was very easy to do in the Kindle Keyboard

Last edited by Eures; 12-06-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
Eures
Connoisseur

So, I think I have now a regular command line prompt ssh with USB Network enabled and Putty connected:

login as: root
Pre-authentication banner message from server:

Welcome to Kindle!

End of banner message from server
root@192.168.15.244's password:
[root@kindle root]# libc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock R
-sh: libc-set-prop: not found
[root@kindle root]#

Some advice?...

EDIT:

Ok, I wrote b instead of p

EDIT:

[root@kindle root]# lipc-set-prop -- com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock R
[root@kindle root]#

But the browser doesn't want to rotate in landscape mode ...

EDIT:

Not even with:

[root@kindle root]# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock R
[root@kindle root]#

Last edited by Eures; 12-08-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Tags
pw4, rotation, screen