Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
...I still don’t see where demand, much less need, for 5G phones comes from. But of course Apple needs to support it as it’s ‘expected’.
It is probably a good upgrade for those who live in highly concentrated population areas like NYC. Not so much for us in the suburbs, and probably not much use in rural areas far away from a larger city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I wonder if the new OS, Big Sur, will be rolled out?
I’m wondering if Big Sur will get released then too. I need to do research to see how my older MacBook Pro 15” mid-2014 will work on it. I still have Mojave on it and it does okay with that. My MacBook Pro has the i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. I’m thinking Big Sur might be the last OS upgrade it will be able to use.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
It is probably a good upgrade for those who live in highly concentrated population areas like NYC. Not so much for us in the suburbs, and probably not much use in rural areas far away from a larger city.

I’m wondering if Big Sur will get released then too. I need to do research to see how my older MacBook Pro 15” mid-2014 will work on it. I still have Mojave on it and it does okay with that. My MacBook Pro has the i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. I’m thinking Big Sur might be the last OS upgrade it will be able to use.
I'm running Catalina on a late-2012 iMac also with i7 and 16GB RAM from an external SSD (the internal 5400rpm spinner is atrociously slow!). Runs great. Your MacBook Pro should be OK with Catalina. My iMac's off the list for Big Sur.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #18
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by datostar View Post
I'm running Catalina on a late-2012 iMac also with i7 and 16GB RAM from an external SSD (the internal 5400rpm spinner is atrociously slow!). Runs great. Your MacBook Pro should be OK with Catalina. My iMac's off the list for Big Sur.
My MacBook Pro 15” mid-2014 is listed as compatible with Big Sur, but I still haven’t taken the time to research how well it runs on similar Macs yet. I will see if I can find some people who have the same hardware and have installed Big Sur to see if it has slowed down their Mac too much or created new issues. I’m in no rush to upgrade it though, and if Big Sur is a no go I’ll pass on Catalina too.

I will definitely be leaving my Mac mini late-2012 on High Sierra though. It works fine on HS and is only a backup Mac and a platform to run older 32-bit apps. I mostly use it for my surveillance cams now a days. Until recently I used it for dual booting Windows 10 via Boot Camp, but have now gotten rid of that stuff and returned it to a macOS only Mac.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote