Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 01:25 AM   #1696
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marym View Post
I have calibre 3.48 as that the latest my mac can run. I've dowloaded the koboutilities plugin, but this model of reader isn't listed, so Calibre can't see my device! Please help, I don't want to have to return it to the shop.
As far as I am aware, calibre 3.48 will recognize your Kobo Libra H2O. What it will not recognize is the database version. Go into calibre's preferences, open Plugins, search for KoboTouch (or KoboTouchExtended if that's the one you are using) or use the Driver/Configure current driver option in the KoboUtilities menu. On the third tab under Advanced options, click on the attempt to support newer firmware checkbox (see the attached image).

If there is ever a change in the Kobo database format that would cause issues, it is very likely to be mentioned in the Kobo Reader forum before the firmware is released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboTouch_Options.png
Views:	499
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	174203  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-13-2019 at 01:28 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #1697
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marym View Post
I have calibre 3.48 as that the latest my mac can run. I've dowloaded the koboutilities plugin, but this model of reader isn't listed, so Calibre can't see my device! Please help, I don't want to have to return it to the shop.
You are mixing two things up here.

Firstly, support in calibre for Kobo devices is supplied by the built-in KoboTouch driver. And calibre 3.48 definitely supports the Libra H2O. Adding support for this was practically the change made in 3.48. Admittedly, I missed updating the list of supported devices, but, that list is getting a bit long.

Unfortunately, Kobo made a last minute change to the firmware that changed the database version number. This means you will get the message about unsupported firmware. But, it also means that the calibre version you are running does support the Kobo device you have plugged in. If it didn't support the device, it simply wouldn't do anything. @DNSB's post tells you what to do.

Adding this plugin doesn't add any extra device support. It adds extra functions that you may or may not want. And it relies on the drivers for that. If calibre doesn't see the device, most of the function of the plugin won't be available.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #1698
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update to version 2.9.0

I have just posted version 2.9.0 of the plugin. The change in the plugin are:
  • Update: Set "get_cover" to as appropriate when getting metadata. This should improve performance in some places.
  • Update: Handle changed reading location for epub starting with 4.17.13651. Should be backwardly compatible with currently stored locations and older firmware.
  • New: Add options to cover updating for dithering, letterboxing and PNGs to match the driver change. Based on work from @NiLuJe.
  • New: Add option to remove the full sized cover image.

The last one is the only one that is any way risky. This removes the cover image used for the sleep screensaver. Removing it will save a lot of space. But, the device will use one of the smaller cover images for the screensaver. This will mean the sreensaver will use a low resolution image and will look terrible.

Calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. If there are any problems with the plugin, please report them here.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #1699
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Does this update work on Calibre 3.48?

Everything currently is "good", so I'm not updating to 4.x till something in 3.48 breaks on my main Linux laptop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:09 AM   #1700
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have just posted version 2.9.0 of the plugin. The change in the plugin are:
  • Update: Set "get_cover" to as appropriate when getting metadata. This should improve performance in some places.
  • Update: Handle changed reading location for epub starting with 4.17.13651. Should be backwardly compatible with currently stored locations and older firmware.
  • New: Add options to cover updating for dithering, letterboxing and PNGs to match the driver change. Based on work from @NiLuJe.

The last one is the only one that is any way risky. This removes the cover image used for the sleep screensaver. Removing it will save a lot of space. But, the device will use one of the smaller cover images for the screensaver. This will mean the sreensaver will use a low resolution image and will look terrible.

Calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. If there are any problems with the plugin, please report them here.
I just updated, and can't find the options. Also, I'm French, and have no idea what "dithering, letterboxing and PNGs" mean in this context. I'm particularly interested in removing the full sized cover images, which are no use to me since I use my own random images.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #1701
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Does this update work on Calibre 3.48?

Everything currently is "good", so I'm not updating to 4.x till something in 3.48 breaks on my main Linux laptop.
The plugin says the minimum calibre version is 0.9.20.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:46 AM   #1702
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I just updated, and can't find the options. Also, I'm French, and have no idea what "dithering, letterboxing and PNGs" mean in this context. I'm particularly interested in removing the full sized cover images, which are no use to me since I use my own random images.
The PNG option is to generate the cover images as PNGs rather than the JPGs that Kobo generates.

"Dithering", according to Wikipedia is:

Quote:
Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise used to randomize quantization error, preventing large-scale patterns such as color banding in images.
And "letterboxing" is adding black bands on the sides of the images to make them the same size as the screen but still retain the aspect ratio of the images. It should mean a better screensaver image as the firmware isn't reprocessing the image.

These are the same as the options in the driver. They have been translated there if that helps. The purpose is to improve quality of the image and/or reduce size. I don't know what the best combination is as I generally let the device generate the covers.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:25 AM   #1703
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The plugin says the minimum calibre version is 0.9.20.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #1704
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have just posted version 2.9.0 of the plugin. The change in the plugin are...

I can't find the option to remove the full sized cover image. I found the other three new options in the kobo touch extended plugin\collections, covers etc., but not the option to remove the image. Can somebody tell me where it is?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #1705
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I can't find the option to remove the full sized cover image. I found the other three new options in the kobo touch extended plugin\collections, covers etc., but not the option to remove the image. Can somebody tell me where it is?
It is an option for "Remove covers for Selected Books".
Old 10-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #1706
anacreon
Guru

Thank you. The space available on my Libra went up from 1.3 Gb to 2.1 Gb; that on the Forma from 1 Gb to 1.9 Gb. A very useful option. I'll just have to remember repeating the process now and then.

EDIT: I have a screensavers file with a few of my own images, so this is just eliminating what I have no use for whatsoever.

Last edited by anacreon; 10-16-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #1707
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

KeyError: u'backupOptionsStore'

When running job to read Kobo Libra books installed: KeyError: u'backupOptionsStore'

Everything seems to actually work, like copying books to the reader, updating metadata, reading annotations with Kobo utilities.

I don't always get the error.

Details of the error when I start Calibre with Kobo Libra connected:
Code:
calibre 4.2  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.15.0-66-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.15.0-66-generic', '#75~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 1 14:01:08 UTC 2019')
Python 2.7.16
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 22, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && K4PC, K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM (0, 3, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 22, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 0) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 1, 5) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && EpubSplit (2, 7, 0) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Annotations (1, 10, 0) && Library Splitter (1, 0, 1) && Skoob Books (1, 3, 1) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 7) && EpubMerge (2, 5, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Library Codes (1, 0, 41) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && X-Ray Creator (3, 2, 1) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 22, 0) && KFX Input (1, 22, 0) && KePub Metadata Writer (3, 0, 3) && Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List (1, 2, 11) && Copy Cover To Device (2, 0, 0) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 0) && FictionDB (1, 2, 0) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 4, 0) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && Amazon.com Multiple Countries (1, 0, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Kindle covers (G) (0, 3, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 9, 0) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Kobo Books (1, 7, 0) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Media File Importer (1, 0, 21) && KePub Output (3, 1, 3) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && KePub Input (3, 0, 0) && KePub Metadata Reader (3, 0, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 296, in _on_device_metadata_available
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 2102, in get_device
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.config", line 385, in get_prefs
Old 11-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #1708
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's the Kobo Utilities?

Ah, now I can't read annotations. The error appears when I click on Kobo Utilities too.

I'm sure it WAS working, but it isn't now.
Removing the Kobo Utilities plug in means the Kobo Libra connects and shows installed books without error.
But then there are no lovely utilities. I'll try reinstalling the plug in and test with H2O original and the Touch N905c later, maybe its a Libra issue.

Code:
calibre 4.2  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.15.0-66-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.15.0-66-generic', '#75~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 1 14:01:08 UTC 2019')
Python 2.7.16
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 22, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && K4PC, K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM (0, 3, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 22, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 0) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 1, 5) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && EpubSplit (2, 7, 0) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 0) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Annotations (1, 10, 0) && Library Splitter (1, 0, 1) && Skoob Books (1, 3, 1) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 7) && EpubMerge (2, 5, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Library Codes (1, 0, 41) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && X-Ray Creator (3, 2, 1) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 22, 0) && KFX Input (1, 22, 0) && KePub Metadata Writer (3, 0, 3) && Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List (1, 2, 11) && Copy Cover To Device (2, 0, 0) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 0) && FictionDB (1, 2, 0) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 4, 0) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && Amazon.com Multiple Countries (1, 0, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Kindle covers (G) (0, 3, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 1) && Kobo Utilities (2, 9, 0) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Kobo Books (1, 7, 0) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Media File Importer (1, 0, 21) && KePub Output (3, 1, 3) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && KePub Input (3, 0, 0) && KePub Metadata Reader (3, 0, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 226, in about_to_show_menu
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 335, in rebuild_menus
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 2102, in get_device
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.config", line 385, in get_prefs
Old 11-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #1709
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The Kobo Aura H2O original worked, the Libra not.

I was sure it had earlier!
Then I remembered I'd ticked a couple of boxes. Can't get in to untick when the libra is connected, so reconnected the H2O.
Unticked the two boxes one at a time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboUtil-issue.png
Views:	386
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	174708
It was the one pointed to with red arrow that causes the error if the Libra is detected.

No doubt someone will wonder why I ticked it in the first place. Seemed like something to tick!

So now everything working, reading annotations, no errors with Libra.

P.S. I searched for this error and found Dutch forum posts about some older version of Calibre or something.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-03-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: PS
Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #1710
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That option is there if you want the options further down to be device specific. If you want to check the firmware or do the backups differently for each device.

Hmm, not quite enough protection in case of no values. I'll fix it soon.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities