Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Zipped metadata.calibre for reduce size

I know that the metadata.calibre file is used to index the books on our device, and thus to reduce the analysis time of the presents epubs files.
But this has a default, it takes up space, and mine is 31 MB (was huge on a device, compared to 500 KB average of an epub).
Always in search of a gain of disk space, and out of curiosity, I archived my metadata.calibre in a ZIP.

And I went from 31 Mo to 3.5 Mo
What ?
I was expecting a result, but not so effective
8 I divided by 8, and it's a so simple idea, that I wonder (almost) how nobody thought about it and that it's not the default working of Calibre?!
(or make it an option)

Okay, I can guess that it will slow down the reading of metadata.calibre slightly, because it will first have to unzipped it to a temporary folder, and when updating data, it will have to remplace the metadata.calibre.zip on the device, but it should be "negligible".
(Or else, read and edit the metadata.calibre directly in the ZIP file, I do not know that is possible.)

So here's my idea: Archived metadata.calibre file in a ZIP.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
With HDDs at $0.03/GB and SSDs at $0.25/GB, I expect most would find such a change pretty pointless. Besides, there is likely a huge performance penalty for people with very, very large libraries.

Personally, I find deleting per book conversion options and compacting the database saves quite a bit of space already.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
With HDDs at $0.03/GB and SSDs at $0.25/GB, I expect most would find such a change pretty pointless. Besides, there is likely a huge performance penalty for people with very, very large libraries.

Personally, I find deleting per book conversion options and compacting the database saves quite a bit of space already.
We're not talking about a file on the PC but one on the eReader itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not worth the performance code complexity overhead to me. If you have a 30MB metadata.calibre file on your device that means you are storing thousands of books on the device, comared to that the size of metadata.calibre is negligible.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Not worth the performance code complexity overhead to me. If you have a 30MB metadata.calibre file on your device that means you are storing thousands of books on the device, comared to that the size of metadata.calibre is negligible.
Yes
Not fault
Point taken
(but a need more )

Thanks for the answer, the proposal will have been made (all I wanted).
Good continuation o/

Last edited by un_pogaz; 04-14-2018 at 02:32 PM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've run into a scenario where the metadata.calibre file on my Voyage is 84MB, with only 1,812 books on (all AZW3 files, no manga, no PDFs, etc...). Yet my Oasis 2 metadata.calibre file is only 40MB and that device has almost 5,900 books on it (all AZW3 files, no manga, no PDFs, etc...). Why the disparity? And is there any sort of repair that can be done to the metadata.calibre file?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I've run into a scenario where the metadata.calibre file on my Voyage is 84MB, with only 1,812 books on (all AZW3 files, no manga, no PDFs, etc...). Yet my Oasis 2 metadata.calibre file is only 40MB and that device has almost 5,900 books on it (all AZW3 files, no manga, no PDFs, etc...). Why the disparity? And is there any sort of repair that can be done to the metadata.calibre file?

You can try deleting the file and calibre will recreate it on the next connect.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post

Are custom columns same on both? Because that could really make the file balloon. Every single book JSON entry contains all the metadata fields, even the empty ones.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The size of Comments varies per book, therefore the only comparison would be if the exact same books (and upload) were done.

I also don't think existing (device) metadata auto updates (like can happen with CC WDC mode). You need to send the book again to change what was stored on the device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:43 PM   #10
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Putting a database inside an unseekable, noneditable container like ZIP pretty much defeats its purpose.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can try deleting the file and calibre will recreate it on the next connect.
Thanks, that's exactly what I did and it worked like a charm.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Are custom columns same on both? Because that could really make the file balloon. Every single book JSON entry contains all the metadata fields, even the empty ones.
yes, everything's the same.