Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #46
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I see they mentions text to speech like the Kindle. Will the Authors Guild go after them too?
No, as they won't be providing the ebooks themselves (like Amazon does, with the kindle format).

If I go to Fictionwise: All formats: Printing DISABLED, Read-aloud DISABLED . Which means you can load those books in a text-to-speech enabled device all you want, but it won't be able to read it.

Also, if you read that statement about Amazon caving in:

Quote:
Therefore, we are modifying our systems so that rightsholders can decide on a title by title basis whether they want text-to-speech enabled or disabled for any particular title.
They aren't modifying their Kindle, only their Kindle books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #47
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No. Just like the EU doesn't go after Apple for "bundling" a web browser or a media player/center because they are not the "big fish".

BOb
Isn't that the truth! Frankly I didn't expect to use that feature much, but find it really handy when my hands are busy doing other projects.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Got a response!

Quote:
Hi, [mynamehere]

Thank you for your email and you comments on mobileread.
Now we have several samples for internal test.I will keep track of this.

Best regards!

Yours faithfully
Fingers crossed!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #49
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Got a response!

Fingers crossed!
nice !!!! keep us posted !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #50
layel
layel began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Got a response!

Fingers crossed!
OH.Good news.

Do they supply the exact time?
layel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #51
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by layel View Post
OH.Good news.

Do they supply the exact time?
You see exactly what they wrote. I left nothing out except my name (cuz if you knew it, I'd have to flog you with a wet noodle).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #52
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
oh noes, not the wet noodle ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #53
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Engadget has a hands-on at Cebit. Looks like they want to be sub-$400 and the touch interface looks nice.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/v...der/#continued
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #54
talking_walnut
talking_walnut began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looks promising. But like all electronics we'll have to wait and see how it actually stands up. If there's good battery life and good support for reading technical papers in pdf then I might be tempted.

Does anyone know if the notes they add to the pdfs in the demo are added to the pdfs or just stored locally? If you transfer the pdfs back to a PC will the notes go too? Not really a deal breaker but I could see uses for it.
talking_walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmangroup View Post
Engadget has a hands-on at Cebit. Looks like they want to be sub-$400 and the touch interface looks nice.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/v...der/#continued
Not the best audio quality... but it sounded like he said released in 3-4 months and it "will" be cheaper than the Sony 700 which is $400.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #56
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Now I wonder if I should wait on getting an ereader until any other CeBit announcements are made.
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #57
F.F.
F.F. began at the beginning.

Device: none
nice body, nice software, nice features, and if its comes under $400, nice price! very nice!
F.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #58
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
WOW, it looks like a display can be turned 90 and (assumption) 180 degrees! And supports folder structure in the library The menu and button use seems to be very functional. I think there is a good chance that it can be used while it's charging. As far as can be judged from the video it's pretty fast. Looks like a winner to me. The only thing is either plastic substrate (not yet), or sturdier shell. Or rhinoskin case. Or all of the above.

Last edited by dki; 03-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It does seem watching this though that the control isn't very sensitive. It seemed he had to do the gestures a few times every now and then to get a response.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #60
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It does seem watching this though that the control isn't very sensitive. It seemed he had to do the gestures a few times every now and then to get a response.

BOb
It's more likely due to the fact that the reviewer just picked up the device, and isn't familiar with it yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx