Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Igor Neres
Igor Neres began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle doubts - Can I download free epubs?

I really want to buy a kindle paperwhite, but I have some questions before. If I have one, all the ebooks I download should be from amazon? Or can I download free epubs? Cause my teacher has some files, and ebooks that are paid in Amazon and he said the could give me. Would it be illegal? Or can I download from anywhere and use USB cable?
And for people who used Paperwhite, is it really worth it? Or just the simples kindle is the way to go?

Thanks guys!
Igor Neres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Neres View Post
I really want to buy a kindle paperwhite, but I have some questions before. If I have one, all the ebooks I download should be from amazon? Or can I download free epubs? Cause my teacher has some files, and ebooks that are paid in Amazon and he said the could give me. Would it be illegal? Or can I download from anywhere and use USB cable?
And for people who used Paperwhite, is it really worth it? Or just the simples kindle is the way to go?

Thanks guys!
The Paperwhite can't read epubs, cable or not. However you can install the free program Calibre on your Kindle and convert any epubs that don't have DRM to mobi format, which the Kindle does read. Doing this is trivial. You simply drag and drop the book into Calibre and click the Convert button, making sure mobi is selected as the output format. It typically takes about 30 seconds and then it'll even put it on the Kindle for you if you want it to.

If the book has DRM Calibre can't do that but google can help you find exceptions to that.

Keep in mind that there are more free Kindle books on Amazon than probably all the rest o the legal sources combined. Also most of the other sources of free books also offer mobi format, which is what the Kindle needs.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Barry,
Doesn't Calibre go on your computer?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, it does.

And, you can't use free ePubs natively, but you can use free mobi format files. Many stores have both formats.

You cannot use your teacher's Kindle files unless your Kindle is registered to her account.

Whether you want the Paperwhite or Basic models depends on whether you want the light, and the (I believe) higher screen resolution.

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 01-01-2016 at 06:34 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:19 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
I really want to buy a kindle paperwhite, but I have some questions before. If I have one, all the ebooks I download should be from amazon?
No. Kindles out of the box will not read epub files, but they will read mobi files. Many sources of ebooks will offer them in both epub and mobi formats.

Quote:
Or can I download free epubs?
If a mobi file is not offered you can download an epub, convert it to mobi or azw3 and "sideload" it onto your Kindle (provided it is free of DRM (Digital Rights Management)), which most free epubs will be. The best way to do this is via a program called Calibre which is free and has fully supported versions for Windows, OSX and Linux.

Piracy suggestion removed by moderator.

Quote:
Would it be illegal?
Your teacher and you could be breaching Copyright depending on how the particular book is licensed and the country you are in. Mobileread does not endorse piracy and most of us like to see at least Authors get some reward for their hard work. There are many free and public domain ebooks which can be freely shared. Even most large ebook Vendors offer some freebies.

Also, if a book has DRM circumventing it is illegal in some jurisdictions.

Quote:
Or can I download from anywhere and use USB cable?
Yes. You can download from anywhere and transfer via usb, provided the file you download is in a supported format or you can convert it to one.

Quote:
Personally I much prefer my e-ink device to have a front-light, so the Paperwhite is definitely worth it.

And, to manage your ebooks, conversions etc I cannot recommend Calibre highly enough.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-02-2016 at 10:34 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
BUY Kobo eReader They read epub format. Lots of places Sell epub ebooks
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
BUY Kobo eReader They read epub format. Lots of places Sell epub ebooks
I do not think this unequivocal advice is helpful to an e-ink device newbie. If it was have a look also at Kobo I would not disagree. I own both a Kobo H2O and a Paperwhite. I like Kobo and wish them well. However, in many ways Kobo is their own worst enemy, and the overall experience with Amazon is far superior.

My own opinion is that a Kindle is usually the better choice for the vast majority of Purchasers who want to keep things simple and will in practice mostly pick an "ecosystem" and stick to it. In this case it is Amazon first and daylight second. One caveat is for those who intend to borrow from libraries and reside outside of the United States, where libraries are not permitted to lend in Kindle formats. If this is very important the decision will be a lot more difficult. On the other side, if you plan to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited a Kindle is even more desirable.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
There are many free and public domain ebooks which can be freely shared.
One minor point: Free and public domain are not the same thing. Just because you received a book for free doesn't necessarily mean you can legally give away copies. Sometimes a book is made free as a promotion. Copyright may still apply.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One minor point: Free and public domain are not the same thing. Just because you received a book for free doesn't necessarily mean you can legally give away copies. Sometimes a book is made free as a promotion. Copyright may still apply.
I didn't mean to imply differently, but my statement was a little general. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have to agree that to recommend a different device in this situation isn't very helpful. I have both a Kindle and a Kobo and I like them both a lot. They're both good devices. But what I think the OP wants and needs are facts and information he can use to make his own decision, not opinions and personal biases.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
There are certainly some things Kobo does better than anyone else. Notably, quality of text and font rendering, which in the case of of E-reader, you would think ends all other arguments. I've been using both and switching between them extensively. Unless you want to tinker with a slew of options and features, the Paperwhite, with the help of Calibre on a computer, makes a better epub reading device than the Kobo.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
Igor Neres
Igor Neres began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks guys for all recomendations I've been searching about this Kobo. And I'd like to have your opinions hahah I won't buy many books on Amazon. Actually, I don't want to buy any. I want to have an e-reader for three reasons: Easier to carry, beter to expand my english vocabulary and to principally to save money, downloading. Also, it's easier to find old books and classic ones.

Anyway, you guys who owns a KOBO and a KINDLE. Which one you prefer?
I won't use too much of this Amazon universe, as I see it. For example, can I see the books I transfered via USB cable in my pc Kindle and cell phone app? Will it have the same functionalities that Amazon books have?

And finally, does KOBO have the same functions Kindle have? As example, I mention the dictionary

THANK YOU , GUYS!

Last edited by Igor Neres; 01-02-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Igor Neres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Yes, I have both.
Amazon has over 1 million free books.
I prefer Amazon over the Kobo store.
Now for freebies, there is also the library here. And most books are in both epub and mobi.
As far as the readers go, I haven't noticed much difference.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
The answer you get will vary according to the thread you are reading. This is a Kindle thread (think of the Stockholm syndrome).

I have both: a Kobo Glo and a PW3 (since early October 2015). I use the first one to read EPUB and I still use it today. I bought the second one because I read Koreader was a "native" app on it. It appears that I was totally mistaken (yes, I am guilty for this mistake because I did not look seriously for information). Now this wonderful machine has been stored for the last three months and I am awaiting a very hypothetical jailbreak.

My advice is to stay away from Kindle. They want to keep you in jail. They really mean it. Beware.

Last edited by roger64; 01-02-2016 at 08:08 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
In My recent exploration Between the Kindle Paper white 3 & the Kobo Glo HD ...what I understand they are the same. Kindle does use the Mobi & AZW3 Formats... while Kobo uses the ePub. Both web sites have Free ebooks. I suggested the Kobo cause your teach has epubs he was going to give/lend you... I felt that being the case best you go with the ereader you could read the books on... Course I assuming they are edu books you need for class. Doesn't mean you have to get them illegal. A neighbor tells me that like Kindle Kobo has a Lending program. So your Teacher Can Lend the ebooks to you. Talk to your teacher I am sure he can help you with all this.

Kobo Forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/for...ysprune=&f=223

Last edited by Barbara1955; 01-02-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote