Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Granitefall
Granitefall began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Unable to install 0.4.124 on windows xp (won't even load)

I am running windows xp 32 bit and I've used calibre for months without issues.

I went to install the newest calibre today and when I ran the install executable "calibre-0.4.124.exe" nothing happened. I figured maybe it was a conflict with the old version, so I uninstalled that (I think it was 0.4.83). Then I disabled my antivirus software and restarted the computer. I tried to run the install file and once again nothing happens. It pops up for a minute in task manager under "processes" then nothing.

Any ideas/suggestions/help?

P.S. Tried downloading it again to see if that was the problem, no go.

Last edited by Granitefall; 01-03-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: More information added.
Granitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It installs fine here under XP SP3.

Have you tried re-booting the machine to see if that helps?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
post the output of running

calibre-deug -g

in a terminal
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Granitefall
Granitefall began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It installs fine here under XP SP3.

Have you tried re-booting the machine to see if that helps?
Tried rebooting, no go (first thing I tried).

Ended up rebooting in safemode and it worked fine. Only software I have that I could see conflicting is Avira Antivir Personal (but I had disabled the AntiVir Guard).

So in summation, there was some stupid software conflict and safemode install worked fine. If you still want me to run the debug mode kovid just lemme know here.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Granitefall is offline   Reply With Quote