Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
B770
B770 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 622
Touch Basic: Annotations, Flags in PDFs not synced with computer

Hello,

I am reading PDFs with the pocketbook 624 toch basic and highlighting some words or entering some annotations. After reading the PDF I want do connect the pocketbook to my computer and sync the PDF so that I have my annotations also on the computer.

I've tried it with the standard reader but it is not working
Any ideas?

Thanks
B770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Does the Pocketbook embed annotations inside the PDF? I would think it more likely that it saves them as ancillary data, similar to how the Kindle does, and I assume any reader does to EPUB or mobi7/8.

Assuming that is the case... you can pretty much give up now. Annotations support in ebooks is haphazard and there is no transferrable standard.

Unlike PDF annotations which has had a lot more time to mature.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
B770

Thank you for your reply.

I noticed that pocketbook stores annotations, screenshots, highlighted parts of the PDF and so on in separate files in the directory system\config\Active Contents. The reader creates a new folder for every PDF. This is not the best solution but it is working for me.
Is there a possibility to sync this complete folder directly with the connected dropbox? Or is it possible to write a shell script that copies the folder to the dropbox?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see why not. I know how I'd do it if I was on a Kindle at least... that is what I have experience with.

Someone, I think brianinmaine, posted an extension for KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher). It ran a script which he found somewhere else, which apparently can upload files to a Dropbox account on-demand. You could probably do something similar on the Pocketbook.

Does Pocketbook have a builtin Dropbox client? If so, symlink the annotations folder to the Dropbox sync folder.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
B770

Yes, the pocketbook reader has a builtin dropbox client.
The idea with the symlink sounds good but I dont know how to enter a shell in the pocketbook.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Looking through the Pocketbook Developers Corner I see someone has published a "pbterm" hack, try that.

Although it doesn't appear to support interactive-style console applications, that shouldn't be a problem for symlinking. Don't try using vim though.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Koreader can store annotations in the PDF. But it can only do highlighting, no comments yet.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
624, annotation, pdf