Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #16
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And even if you don't move the V3 forum, you should merge the Bebook forum into it. It is a V3 clone after all.
Seconded. It may very well be the currently most popular of all the rebranded Hanlin V3's, but it is, in essence as well as in the details, nothing but a rebranded V3.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree that all the V3 and clones should have be merged into one forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Alright. How would we name the OEM section? Who is the original producer? Is it Nemoptics/PVI?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Alright. How would we name the OEM section? Who is the original producer? Is it Nemoptics/PVI?
The OEM of the V3/Walkbook/EZReader/Bebook is Jinke.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that looks good to me, alex. the only suggestion i have is to give the ebookwise a top-level forum of its own, rather than putting it in the "other devices" forum ; it gets a good bit of activity and people are still buying eb1150 regularly and coming here with lots of questions. a developper corner for the eb1150 might be a good idea as well as nick, ashkultz, et al are quite actively working on new tools and fonctionnalities. i don't think it needs a separate "accessories" forum however an accessories prefix would be a good idea as the question of "where to buy the charger outside the US" comes up regularly ! and there is also the question of where to find smartmedia cards.
I'm with her 100%! Those are the points that ran through my head when I heard of your "restructuring". We have great ongoing .imp ebook generation, developers are continually coming out with new tools with .imp support (our own Dev Hub has a main section for the ebookwise devices) and users are still agonizing whether to buy an e-ink device or "get their feet wet" with a lower cost-effective (but not inferior) solution.

Reading ebooks is the goal here and should not be driven by the technology, but rather augmented by it. Just ask all those original Rocket eBook users if they really want/wanted to change their device. I would surmise the answer would be "not if I don't have too".

Quote:
When you mean "stand on its own", I assume you mean having its own parent section. This doesn't make sense to me. eBookwise does already have its own section. Adding it to the parent would imply that there are more eBookwise devices out there, now and in the future. I think that would be inappropriate given that its an abandoned product.
In North America, the eBookwise 1150 is available through commercial channels as well as ebay. I agree that from a manufacturing standpoint it is an "abandoned" unit, but from the point of view of actual ebook users, it's still a commercially viable product with an enormous resource behind it, Fictionwise.

I will support whatever you decide is better for this ebook community, but wanted to throw my "two cents worth" your way.

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-17-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is no doubt that Jinkie will release new devices next year. We already know about the EZ Reader Plus and Pro (V3-like with WiFi and/or touchscreen), and presumably the V9 will finally see the light of day.

So a Jinkie Devices forum makes sense eventually. However, I think it would currently only include Hankin V3 since it isn't clear to me that BeBook should be a separate forum. Presumably it is separate based on volume of threads, but I can't imagine many of us wanting to read just one of BeBook and Hanlin V3.
I think a Jinke forum is the right way to go right now with EZ Reader and BeBook joining Hanlin in that group also with prefixes for the others. The expertise is the same and assistance and discussion are the same. The firmware is basically the same but when it is not the discussion belongs where it can be read by all.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The OEM of the V3/Walkbook/EZReader/Bebook is Jinke.
and lBook.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #23
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm not sure about the iRex section...

Software releases and development for both devices are very different and aren't compatible. I think it could be very confusing if someone doesn't know that...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm not sure about the iRex section...

Software releases and development for both devices are very different and aren't compatible. I think it could be very confusing if someone doesn't know that...
Would thread prefixes help to avoid the potential confusion?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #25
T-bag
T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Hanlin V3
I agree with the classification, but leave Jinke under the other device does not seem appropriate. Since 1999, Jinke began to devote itself to develop and manufacture eReading device. So far Jinke sold more than 500K of the reader device (include OEM /non-EINK product), maybe jinke is the best eReading device seller. My suggestion is classify them as Jinke Devices,

Jinke Devices

* Hanlin V3
* OEM (LBook/Bebook/EZReader/Papyre/Walkbook/Digibook)
* Accessories
* Contents
* Software Releases
* Developer Corner
T-bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #26
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I think the Jinke devices should have their own section too. It should also have (I think) an "also known as..." line on the main Forum page, with a list of all the clones, since when you buy (for instance) a Bebook, there's nothing in the manual or on the web site that tells you it's a Jinke clone, and a casual browser may look at the site quickly, see no reference to their particular V3 clone, and think there's nothing here for them.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #27
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
I do very much agree with T-bag but see candarols point. There should be a way in which a swift glance for bebook etc. leads to the right place - Jinke info.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #28
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I agree with Adam about the iRex development section: Development for the devices is too different, and the iLiad OS developers will need their own place for discussions etc.
Quote:
Would thread prefixes help to avoid the potential confusion?
Hmm, thread prefixes would only make it hard to find out relevant threads for users of either device. I don't think there will be many overlapping discussions between the two reader's users, especially when it comes to development.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #29
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I do not think Hanlin eBook should be in the 'other devices'. My eBook is Hanlin V3, some of my friends and colleagues use Hanlin V3 as well. Jinke Hanlin has become a famous brand, so it should be listed independently!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

While it is not specific to the eBook Devices section I would like to see a General eBook forum in the General eBook section. Currently some eBook topics end up in the Lounge or even here in feedback. People just don't know where to post some things and a general catch-all would be useful.

Dale