Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #991
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon removed the SD card slot. Amazon doesn't have a download link unless you have a hardware Kindle and in that case, you do need to use a program to download. So overall, Amazon is not that different from B&N.
What program is needed for download?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #992
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Amazon removed the SD card slot. Amazon doesn't have a download link unless you have a hardware Kindle and in that case, you do need to use a program to download. So overall, Amazon is not that different from B&N.
Amazon has always been straightforward about needing a device or app to download.

Amazon hasn't been playing monkey games with de-supporting the apps.

Amazon experimented early on with an SD card, but most people who buy Kindles are unaware that there ever was one, and don't care either way.
An SD card is not necessary for Kindles -- the userstore is not partitioned, you can use all 3.5 GB for sideloaded content.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #993
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
On KDP published books "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" will let you know a book is DRM free. For books from publishing houses that submit another way some like Tor and Baen mention it in the books description ("At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (Digital Rights Management)") and for others like Carina Press and O'Reilly the books are DRM-free, but there is no way of knowing that other than knowing the publisher is DRM-free. Then you have some publishers that are DRM-free at their own sites like Samhain (DRM-free at their site and B&N) but not elsewhere which makes it worse. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't have something as simple and direct as mentioning the DRM status in the product details.
Thanks! They say "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," but this takes inconsistency to a whole new level of crazy!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #994
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1959 View Post
So, in other words, if you own a Nook, and you buy a book from Barnes and Noble, you are required to have WiFi. There is no way to get the book you bought via your computer onto the Nook unless you can connect to a WiFi someplace. Doesn't make sense.
When I asked a B&N person what my mother-in-law who doesn't have WiFi should do now that they've removed the download link, he actually advised that she take her Nook to her nearest B&N store to use their free WiFi. Unbelievable!

P.S. I'm so mad at B&N nowadays that I can't even walk into one of their stores -- and I used to love hanging out there, it was one of my favorite places!

Last edited by Jane12; 03-22-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #995
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
When I asked a B&N person what my mother-in-law who doesn't have WiFi should do now that they've removed the download link, he actually advised that she take her Nook to her nearest B&N store to use their free WiFi. Unbelievable!

P.S. I'm so mad at B&N nowadays that I can't even walk into one of their stores -- and I used to love hanging out there, it was one of my favorite places!
The nearness B&N--to me-- is a 100 mile round trip.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #996
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
The nearness B&N--to me-- is a 100 mile round trip.

bernie
We used to walk that, barefoot, in the driving snow...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #997
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

Can't she just use Nook for PC? How would she be downloading the book if the download links were still on the website?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #998
Jane12
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Can't she just use Nook for PC? How would she be downloading the book if the download links were still on the website?
B&N's original download links provided direct download of the complete epub, no "helper" software required.

My mom-in-law is technophobic -- thus the lack of WiFi. Simply getting her to try a Nook was a big deal. However, we taught her how to use a web browser to find a book, purchase it, go to her online Nook Library and click the "download" link. Then the complete epub would download to her computer. She would connect her Nook via USB, then drag-and-drop the epub file from her computer to her Nook. All done.

At this point it seems all the Nook desktop apps are no longer supported, and even if we found a copy to download, with all the DRM changes, it's not clear whether an ebook downloaded through a desktop app would open on an old Nook 1st ed. that hasn't connected to WiFi for many years.

Finally, my mom-in-law is using this situation as "proof" that computers and technology are not to be trusted "and who needs ebooks anyway when paper books are just fine," she says.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #999
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
B&N's original download links provided direct download of the complete epub, no "helper" software required.

My mom-in-law is technophobic -- thus the lack of WiFi. Simply getting her to try a Nook was a big deal. However, we taught her how to use a web browser to find a book, purchase it, go to her online Nook Library and click the "download" link. Then the complete epub would download to her computer. She would connect her Nook via USB, then drag-and-drop the epub file from her computer to her Nook. All done.

At this point it seems all the Nook desktop apps are no longer supported, and even if we found a copy to download, with all the DRM changes, it's not clear whether an ebook downloaded through a desktop app would open on an old Nook 1st ed. that hasn't connected to WiFi for many years.

Finally, my mom-in-law is using this situation as "proof" that computers and technology are not to be trusted "and who needs ebooks anyway when paper books are just fine," she says.
Look back in this thread. Find the Greasemonkey download script. Make sure your mother has Firefox and Greasemonkey installed. Then install the script. She will then get the download links back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #1000
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
A LOT of older people in my area have Nooks because they were compatible with the library and there is a B&N across the street. Most of them don't have wifi. They buy their books online and make selections at the library. Then, when they have an appointment at a medical facility, they download everything using the free wifi. The library books remain active until they are hooked to wifi again.

I am mentioning this only as an option to keep your MIL actively reading ebooks. A lot depends on the books she likes to read. Those who really like doorstops really appreciate an ereader and will do anything reasonable to continue to use one. My sister stopped reading books because her hands couldn't hold even a smaller book open any more - she does fine with my old Nook ST.

In rural areas, free wifi is available at most, if not all hospitals. You don't have to be a patient, but when you hook up to it, pretty much all of them require that you click on an agreement.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-22-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #1001
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Oh and one other solution is to get your MIL a WiFi router.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #1002
Colerson
Nameless Being

Quote:
Right; so the SD card slot was annoying, but not a deal-breaker (although it was one of the reasons I went B&N in the first place).

Amazon has a download link, so that's advantage Amazon. Sure you need a Kindle, but even with a Nook, you can't download from B&N anymore, so that tips the scale.

Basically, everything which differentiated (in a positive way) B&N from Amazon, and what pushed me toward B&N in the first place, has been removed. It's a tie in a few places, but Amazon wins everywhere else: better ereader software, Matchbook, website that doesn't break half the time I try to use it, and so on.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 AM   #1003
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
It's a good thing we're not talking about the Mother-in-law's friend...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:23 AM   #1004
Jane12
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
A LOT of older people in my area have Nooks ... Most of them don't have wifi ... when they have an appointment at a medical facility, they download everything using the free wifi ...
Well, I really don't want to encourage B&N in thinking it's okay to block downloading and expect customers to go in search of free WiFi if they don't have it at home

Quote:
My current plan is to talk her into a WiFi router and a Kindle
Old 03-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #1005
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:

If her computer's new enough to have Windows 7 and has a wireless adapter, it can be set up as a wireless hotspot. Alternately, if you have a laptop that fits the bill, you could set yours up this way to update her NOOK with new DRM keys or whatever.

As administrator, enter the following at a command prompt:

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<some ssid> key=<WPA passphrase>
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
This creates a WiFi hotspot that connects to the computer. If you then go to Network Settings and find the adapter that's actually connected to the network, go to Network Sharing and share the network with the new connection (probably named "Wireless Network Connection 2".

This connection survives a reboot, but it needs to be restarted with the "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" command. If you're setting her computer up, you can put that command in a script and either put it on the desktop or have it run automatically at startup.

If you want more information or more detailed tutorials, Google "Windows 7 virtual access point".
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote