Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
how to set hyphens in calibre? (e.g 'auto')

Hi guys,

I can't seem to find how to add the hyphens attribute in Calibre.
Usually it's 'hyphens: auto' I believe, but when I try to edit my epub file in
Calibre, it doesn't recognise the instruction. I'm at a loss!

Does anyone know if Calibre supports 'hyphens' and if so what the code is that
I need to use? (Basically, my book is justified, I'm very happy with it, but every so often there are large gaping spaces, that I could be remedied if hyphens were employed!

Hope someone can help me!!!

Would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Zoe
indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you mean int he calibre viewer, you have to turn on hyphenation in the viewer settings (it is off by default as it reduces performance).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Hi Kovidgoyal,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I mean I have written an ebook, and I am trying to set the css code in Calibre so it will allow for hyphens to be used on ebook readers.

(usually you can add the code 'hyphens: auto' in css. But in the calibre, it doesn't recognise the css instruction.

Do you know how to fix this?

Thanks

Zoe
indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The conversion will pass hyphens:auto through to the output format. If you are converting to EPUB or AZW3, then it will be present in the output. SO I am not sure what you are asking.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:38 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
When you say it isn't working, do you mean on a real test device or the calibre viewer? As Kovid said, hyphenation is overridden in the viewer, so it doesn't matter what CSS is present.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote