Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
valiantone2000
valiantone2000 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Exclamation Calibre Stalls Every other time when trying to open

Hello -

Here’s my problem scenario - Ever since upgrading to Mavericks, Calibre opens OK. Then it doesn't the next attempt and hangs. I force quit. Then it will open. Then it hangs and won't open. Force quit. Then it opens. Then won’t open. Force quit. Then it opens. etc. every other time. It will only open every other time. I’ve tried everything - uninstalling, reinstalling, doing all Library Manitenance. Deleting all cache files, etc. reinstalling. So I just have been working around it, chronically annoyed and hopeful without relief, including the latest update.

I’m on an 8-core 2.26 dual MacPro running 10.9.5 with 16 GB RAM. Somebody else must have had this problem.

Help! https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
valiantone2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
look at the output in console.app when it hangs
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
valiantone2000

Console logs from Successful and Unsuccessful Calibre Starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
look at the output in console.app when it hangs
Greetings!

Attached are Console logs from Successful and Unsuccessful Calibre Starts. Very grateful for your input. I love Calibre!

DaveJ
Attached Files
File Type: txt Console-Calibre Hangs.txt (10.7 KB, 525 views)
File Type: txt Console-Calibre Opens Successfully.txt (6.4 KB, 425 views)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
valiantone2000

Console Log Discrepencies

Greetings -

These are the two discrepencies in the Hang version of the Console Log (Attached).

One series at the beginning. One at the end. I don't think the font issues are connected to the hang.

Thanks for your input.

DaveJ
Attached Files
File Type: txt Console Log Discrepancies-Calibre.txt (1.8 KB, 398 views)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at the hang report that is referenced in the log. The only thing there is the font issues, the rest are not from the calibre process.I suggest temporarily removing those fonts and seeing if it makes a difference.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
valiantone2000

Hang Diagnostic Report

Hi Kovid -

This is kind of Greek to me. Does it reveal anything of help?

Thanks!

DaveJ
Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
valiantone2000

Hang Diagnostic Report

Sorry - Had to dupe and copy hang report to text to send.

Hi Kovid -

This is kind of Greek to me. Does it reveal anything of help?

Thanks!

DaveJ
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1_27 Calibre Hang Report.txt (939.4 KB, 316 views)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It looks like initialization of the libusb library (that calibre uses for device detection) is hanging. Something unusual about the USB subsystem on your machine? Special USB drivers/devices? If you have the IOS reader device plugins installed, try uninstalling them.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
valiantone2000

I actually just installed IOSRA and MarvinHD yesterday for the first time, so the problem has existing with Mavericks since Calibre v2.0 without plugins and without the iPad connected. It's baffling, and so odd that it's not even completely intermittent. It's every other open religiously. I would upgrade to Yosemite to see if it disappeared, but I'm afraid of losing reliable Photoshop CS6 compatibility, which is essential. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Many thanks for your help.

DaveJ

Tags
calibre, intermittent, mac, mavericks, open