Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #1021
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Today I started Bleak House by Charles Dickens. It will take a lot of walking to get through this one, but the introduction and first two chapters were extremely enjoyable.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #1022
Piepan
Connoisseur
Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of MN
Device: Kindle Fire HD6, Kindle Fire HD (Gen1), KT (original), KK, iPhone
Neverwhere BBC radio dramatization (from Audible) is finished. I've started Rhys Bowen's A Royal Pain now.
Piepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #1023
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm listening to Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk, narrated by Gabra Zackman. This is one of my favorite books, but it's been quite a while since I last reread it. The narration is a little slow and I was feeling a bit impatient at the beginning, but now I've gotten attuned to it. Wonderful book!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #1024
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just finished The House of Hades by Rick Riordan, but needed a little break from the series, so started Storm Front by Jim Butcher. I'm halfway through it already! I am really enjoying the narrator. I tried to read this book last year and didn't get very far.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #1025
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I confess I'm in love with Virgil Flowers

I told myself I was going to give the series a rest for awhile but alas here I am neglecting all the other audiobook in my library to listen to Mad River no.6 in the series by John Sandford.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #1026
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I confess I'm in love with Virgil Flowers

I told myself I was going to give the series a rest for awhile but alas here I am neglecting all the other audiobook in my library to listen to Mad River no.6 in the series by John Sandford.
I just finished the newest Flowers' book Deadline. Now I'm listening to the third Longmire novel, Kindness goes Unpunished.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #1027
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Started Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. It's ok. I just want to be done with the series so I can move on. Will probably listen to Fool Moon by Jim Butcher next, since I've already got it ready to go.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #1028
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, narrated by Nick Podhel. This is the first book in the not yet complete Kingkiller Chronicles, and is a superb read. I'm listening to it to catch back up so I can enjoy the latest, interim, book while we all wait for the conclusion of the series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #1029
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, narrated by Nick Podhel. This is the first book in the not yet complete Kingkiller Chronicles, and is a superb read. I'm listening to it to catch back up so I can enjoy the latest, interim, book while we all wait for the conclusion of the series.
Yep, great book. I listened to a little of the "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" when I got it, just to see what Rothfuss sounds like (he's the narrator). He's pretty good. He's more from the reader's school rather than the voice actor's school. I need to go back and listen to the other two as well, but I'm probably going to hold off at least until the release date of The Stone Door (i.e. book 3) is announced. I suspect that I will have plenty of time.

BTW, just finished the "Blood of Olympus", the end of the Heroes of Olympus series. I read the book, then listened to the audio book. The reader started a bit off, but he hit his stride after the first chapter. I usually prefer that they use the same reader for the whole series, but in this case both readers did a pretty good job.

Right now, I'm listening to a slightly obscure book, The Alexandrian Ring, by William Forstchen. Forstchen is actually a fairly prolific author who writes a lot of combat based fiction and SF and is best known for his Lost Regiment series and Alternate history books with Newt Gingrich. So far, it's pretty well done.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #1030
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Started Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. It's ok. I just want to be done with the series so I can move on. Will probably listen to Fool Moon by Jim Butcher next, since I've already got it ready to go.
As I mentioned, I just finished that one. My comments are in my previous post. It will be interesting to see what direction Riordan moves in now. Maybe pick a new pantheon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #1031
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Today I started Bleak House by Charles Dickens. It will take a lot of walking to get through this one, but the introduction and first two chapters were extremely enjoyable.
I'm also listening to Bleak House and started at almost the exact same time as you! Yes, this is by far the longest audiobook I've attempted yet. I thought a few that were close to 18 hours that I listened to earlier this year were intimidating, but this one is over 35!

Which version are you listening to? I chose the one with Sean Barrett and Teresa Gallagher and it is really superb - probably the best read audiobook I've listened to yet. It's taking me even longer than normal because often I listen to audiobooks with an increased speed to finish faster but I'm enjoying this one so much that I'm going at normal speed to hear it in normal voices rather than chipmunky ones.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #1032
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...Which version are you listening to? I chose the one with Sean Barrett and Teresa Gallagher and it is really superb - probably the best read audiobook I've listened to yet. It's taking me even longer than normal because often I listen to audiobooks with an increased speed to finish faster but I'm enjoying this one so much that I'm going at normal speed to hear it in normal voices rather than chipmunky ones.

I'll have to let you know when I get back in town. At the moment I'm away from my home computer which has all that information. What I do know is that the lady who narrated this particular version for Librivox is an excellent reader. Sometimes the best things in life are free.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #1033
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished, and enjoyed it every bit as much the second time as the first time. I'm now going to read the The Slow Regard of Silent Things, read by the author. This book is a short work (a mere 3 1/2 hours), and not at all part of the main story line. But I'm looking forward to learning more about Auri, an interesting secondary character in the main books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #1034
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Audiobooks really always making my day complete.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1035
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm also listening to Bleak House ... Which version are you listening to?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll have to let you know when I get back in town ... the lady who narrated this particular version for Librivox is an excellent reader....
Mil Nicholson is that excellent reader, and her version (Librivox Bleak House version 3) can be downloaded from this page in various formats.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations