Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
iplers
Banned
iplers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Smile Date & Time on a Kindle?

There seems to be no mention of the date and time on my Kindle 3. Yet, when I push the menu button in a book I do have something that resembles a digital clock. And that changes with time. Only it's nothing like the right hour.

Can I set it up somehow?

I do not intend to register the Kindle. And I would prefer libre software, like Calibre. But for once in a lifetime I am ready to use other apps.
iplers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The date and time are set when the Kindle syncs with Amazon's servers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You can also set it manually. Time on my Kindle 3 was quite inaccurate though, drifting off by minutes in a few weeks.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
You can also set it manually. Time on my Kindle 3 was quite inaccurate though, drifting off by minutes in a few weeks.
You can set the time manually, but not the date.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
iplers
Banned
iplers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I thought it was obvious. Not for Harry anyway.

HOW can I set up the time and date?
iplers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
As Harry said - if registered it will update as you connect to internet.

If you plan not to connect to Amazon - try menu - setting, device options,device time (this is from my paperwhite which I have with me). The K3 will be similar in its logic - but as it is manually set the time may drift a little ( or a lot if you let the battery run down)
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplers View Post
I thought it was obvious. Not for Harry anyway.

HOW can I set up the time and date?
I've already told you - by connecting to Amazon's servers. If you're not willing to do that, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
surely there must be a solution, it just depends how involved it is.
i'm sure the clever guys in the developer section would be able to resolve it, if they wanted to maybe get this moved there etc
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
As Harry said - if registered it will update as you connect to internet.

If you plan not to connect to Amazon - try menu - setting, device options,device time (this is from my paperwhite which I have with me). The K3 will be similar in its logic - but as it is manually set the time may drift a little ( or a lot if you let the battery run down)
Remember that most of the items on the "Settings" menu - including, I think, the option to set the time - only appear when the device is registered, so I think the OP is probably out of luck unless he registers.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Remember that most of the items on the "Settings" menu - including, I think, the option to set the time - only appear when the device is registered, so I think the OP is probably out of luck unless he registers.
Well I suppose the other answer is - if you don't want to register the item or for some reason can't - buy/wear a watch
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
Well I suppose the other answer is - if you don't want to register the item or for some reason can't - buy/wear a watch
Unfortunately, though, if the clock isn't set, things like the "Most Recent" sort order on the library page don't work correctly, so there are good reasons to register. Plus the fact that half the menu items aren't there, so you can't do anything with collections, for example.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can also jailbreak and install a terminal emulator on your Kindle. I believe there may be one available for the Keyboard.

Once you do that, it is a simple matter of manually running the "date" command in your linux-running kindle to set the time. Don't forget to do that every time your Kindle restarts, without fail, since the Kindle will inexplicably set the datetime to a random time when you boot it up -- but only sometimes.

Then consider how much fun you could have doing other things if you weren't spending so much fun evading Amazon's servers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
date, kindle, time