Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Alleyoop
Enthusiast
Alleyoop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 950
Reader has had a meltdown

My wife's PRS-950 suddenly awoke with some ugly looking black, grey and white lines across the screen, a small white panel, couple of smudges that were trying to be text, in short, looks most unhappy, (my wife isn't too pleased either, half way through an enthralling book ).
Reset button was my first option, then power charger on and reset button, no joy. I thought I'd disconnect the battery but that doesn't look like a simple job.

Any tips?
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hard to say without pics, but it sounds like either the screens glass substrate is cracked or there's a problem with the controller. Make sure it's fully charged, as in plug it in and leave it for like 8 hours, even if it was recently charged, just to make sure it's not some kind of odd power problem (they've been known to happen).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
Alleyoop
Enthusiast

OK, I'll try that, thanks.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
Any tips?
A, I've had good luck calling Sony support.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
. . I thought I'd disconnect the battery but that doesn't look like a simple job.

Any tips?
From my personal experience my tip would be to not try to disconnect the battery. When my PRS-350 had a meltdown I tried everything and as a last resort tried to disconnect the battery (it didn't help). It turned out that even after disconnecting the battery it was impossible to remove the battery since there was some strong adhesive holding it in place. Even if I was able to remove the battery the price of a replacement battery ($30) was too high. Luckily, my local Sony Outlet was having a clearance sale at the time and I was able to buy my Sony PRS T-1 for $50.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
My wife's PRS-950 suddenly awoke with some ugly looking black, grey and white lines across the screen, a small white panel, couple of smudges that were trying to be text, in short, looks most unhappy, (my wife isn't too pleased either, half way through an enthralling book ).
Reset button was my first option, then power charger on and reset button, no joy. I thought I'd disconnect the battery but that doesn't look like a simple job.

Any tips?
That seems to be exactly what happened to my first PRS-505 back in 2008. Sadly, it never recovered.

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Alleyoop
Enthusiast

Hmmm, yes it looks pretty sad. I'll endeavour to find a repairer, but I don't hold out much hope. The 950 is a US model, I'm not even sure they were sold in Australia. May be a Christmas Gift idea

Thanks for the feedback.