Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #17026
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just finished dual Hugo/Nebula award winner The Forever War.

The book was OK I guess. I'm not sure why it was considered dual award winning, unless it was do to the no so hidden moral message at the end.
Well the description of war probably based on Haldeman's own experiences and the response the book is to Starship Troopers is probably the reason it won a lot of prices. I really liked it when I read it and think it deserves all acclaim.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #17027
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I thought I'd try a couple of serials/singles/episodes short story-type things.

First was the wildly popular Yesterday's Gone by Sean Platt and David Wright. The authors are giving the first "episode" gratis. It's another everyone-disappeared-dystopian story with each episode ending in a cliffhanger. Unfortunately, I didn't read anything that was particularly original. The 8 year-old Luca storyline was the most interesting although Dean Koontz wrote something vaguely similar. Writing was semi-competent. A few poor word choices e.g. a speedometer doesn't redline. Overall, however, not enough suspense or cliffhanging for me to continue. But I do understand why many would enjoy it. Grade D [1 star].

Next I read Castillon: Tom Swan and the Head of St George Part One by Christian Cameron. This a 6-part [so far] series following the life of one poor illegitimate 18 year old English soldier as he makes his way through 15th century Europe. It isn't a down-and-dirty medieval fiction that I thought it might be. My belief system was strained at times but writing was good; witty and clever in parts. No cliffhanger. Each section is a complete story. Grade C [3 stars].

Next read TBD.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #17028
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished reading the seventh in Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield series, Poison Flower. As with all the books in this series, a non-stop thriller, almost impossible to put down. And I like the way it turns in the latter half of the book. I definitely recommend this series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #17029
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I started reading The Great Gatsby.... not so great so far, but I'll give it a little while longer.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #17030
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
First was the wildly popular Yesterday's Gone by Sean Platt and David Wright. The authors are giving the first "episode" gratis. It's another everyone-disappeared-dystopian story with each episode ending in a cliffhanger. Unfortunately, I didn't read anything that was particularly original. The 8 year-old Luca storyline was the most interesting although Dean Koontz wrote something vaguely similar. Writing was semi-competent. A few poor word choices e.g. a speedometer doesn't redline. Overall, however, not enough suspense or cliffhanging for me to continue. But I do understand why many would enjoy it. Grade D [1 star].
I am disappointed to see this, I have them in my TBR and was going to read them at some point. I may need to dig into some of the Amazon reviews to see if I should even bother. At least seasons 1 and 2 have been free in the past in addition to individual episodes.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #17031
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am going to read The End - Visions of Apocalypse edited by N.E. White. I read the Hugh Howey short from this earlier this year and thought I should finish it now.
There were a couple interesting takes in this collection, but overall wasn't great.

I am having a hard time deciding on my next read. I need a break from Honor Harrington and Sherlock Holmes, and it looks like Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites (Discworld 3) is available as an e-book from my library with no waiting time. I have skipped around in my reading of the Discworld novels and I think I missed this one. I haven't read Mort either, so maybe I can get them both.

On a side note, it seems like my library has greatly improved their e-book options over the last year or so and I love it! I really should have been keeping closer track.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #17032
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am disappointed to see this, I have them in my TBR and was going to read them at some point. I may need to dig into some of the Amazon reviews to see if I should even bother. At least seasons 1 and 2 have been free in the past in addition to individual episodes.
Give the first episode a try. It won't take long to read. It's 8 or so different individuals or groups and the various things they encounter.

It just wasn't gripping enough for me to continue.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #17033
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Transvergence by Charles Sheffield. The second omnibus in his "Heritage Universe" series, comprising books 3 and 4, Transcendence and Convergence. I bought this back in October 2002, so it's possible I've already read it.

I did read the first omnibus some years ago. I don't think the novels are tightly linked, so I'll just plunge straight in.
I have a feeling I may have read this one before. But I don't remember what happens, so I'll carry on.

But (unusually for me) I've been reading some others at the same time:

Stones in the Sky by Scott Mason. I bought this back in April 2003, and I never go around to reading it. Or perhaps I did, and abandoned it then for the same reason I'm abandoning it now. I think I got to the fourth regression/flashback before I gave up! Not a good way to structure a story, IMO.

And then I read A Glimpse of Splendor by Dave Creek, a novella first published in Analog. An OK novella, but purely on length not worth what I paid for it back in Jan 2003.

And I'm now also reading Lantern Road by John T. Cullen. I'm not sure where this is going, but it's an intriguing Alien/Human culture obviously modelled on Shoganate Japan. Also bought back in Jan 2003, and not yet read.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #17034
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Finished Bernard Cornwell's The Archer's Tale and Vagabond, both excellent. On to Heretic.
Finished Heretic - also very enjoyable. On to Azincourt, to round out the Hundred Years War.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #17035
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm been reading Ike and Dick : Portrait of a Strange Political Marriage by Jeffrey Frank. it is surprisingly sympathetic to Nixon versus the picture it paints of Eisenhower.
I did enjoy the quote from the Alsops comparing the atmosphere surrounding the McCarthy-Army hearings to the atmosphere in Berlin following the Reichstag Fire.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #17036
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
I just started Flowers for algernon today. Great book so far.
I've both read that and seen the movie. Both are very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #17037
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Just finished Harbinger by David Mack. The first in the original Star Trek's Vanguard series.This book is mostly background info and character introduction. There's not much action but it does have enough mystery and intrigue to set the reader up for the next in the series. Several minor plot lines that involve interpersonal relationships add to the sci-fi theme. I believe there is eight titles in this series. I purchased the second with a 75% Kobo code but will read something else first. Grade C- [2 stars].
The entire Vanguard series is excellent. It's a must read for anybody who even remotely likes Star Trek.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #17038
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm currently jumping between Bad Monkey and Under the Dome. I'm rather liking Bad Monkey so there is a chance I might finish Bad Monkey before getting back to Under the Dome.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #17039
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
I just finished The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold. Amazing sci-fi book.
I did read it, and it was enjoyable, though I see why Harry T mentions the similarities to Heinlein's All You Zombies. The concept is almost identical.

Now reading the 4th in the Nightingale series by Stephen Leather, called Nightshade. Quite a fun series:

Quote:
In Jack Nightingale's world - where reality and the occult collide - sometimes the only way to fight evil is with evil.

A farmer walks into a school and shoots eight children dead before turning the gun on himself. It's a harrowing but straightforward case - until police search the man's farm and unearth evidence of dark Satanic practices. When the perpetrator's brother approaches Nightingale, adamant that his brother was set up, it's clear that something even more sinister lurks at the heart of the case.

And there are dark forces elsewhere. A young girl miraculously returns to life, claiming she's spoken to those from beyond the grave. Those in contact with her are dying hideous deaths . . . forcing Jack Nightingale to make the hardest decision he's ever faced.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #17040
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished reading Noah's Boy by Sarah Hoyt. Not a usual genre for me (shape shifter urban fantasy), but a fairly enjoyable read. 4 out of 5, but no more.

Meanwhile, read #15 in the Phryne Fisher series, Death by Water. That was an Audible book, and very enjoyable indeed. Like all the Phryne Fisher books, well written, with interesting characters, and a compelling plot. And, in this case, very well narrated by Stephanie Daniel.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote