Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
problems with some Amazon formats

Sorry for the newb question. I like to sometimes buy Amazon books, especially the free ones, and strip the drm and convert them so I can put them on my non-kindle reader. The mobi ones are no problem. I also have had some sucess with the azw ones. Occasionally I get one that fails when I try to strip drm and they also cannot be opened at all on Calibre. They appear but no cover or anything. What is the deal?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
A) DRM removal is not part of calibre. Ask whoever you got the DRM remove tool from.

B) Detailed instructions on stripping DRM (which solving your issue of a failed removal would require) are not permitted per forum policy.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

OK let me rephrase. Calibre won't even open some formats of books bought from amazon. It will add them but no cover and will not open. Are there some formats of amazon bold that calibre has trouble with?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
OK let me rephrase. Calibre won't even open some formats of books bought from amazon. It will add them but no cover and will not open. Are there some formats of amazon bold that calibre has trouble with?
There are a few possibilites:

If they are DRM protected then this is what happens. If you removed the DRM and it was unsuccessful this is what happens. If you removed the DRM and it damaged the book then this is what happens.

Amazon has multiple formats. The PDF wrapped format I don't believe even has a cover image specified. So this is also a possibility.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
shootist
Zealot

Good info. Can calibre handle these PDF wrapped books? I'm rethinking buying books from Amazon if I can't use calibre to manage them in my library. As far as I know I cannot tell beforehand which kindle format they are.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Good info. Can calibre handle these PDF wrapped books? I'm rethinking buying books from Amazon if I can't use calibre to manage them in my library. As far as I know I cannot tell beforehand which kindle format they are.
Downloading a sample beforehand is helpful. Also, when downloading a sample using the "download to computer and transfer via USB" method, the file extension offers some clues as well.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
shootist
Zealot

Thank you. I'll do that before buying so I wont get something that I cant use.