Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
aerogems
aerogems began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Not Detecting Kindle

This just started happening a couple of days ago, or at least that's when I noticed it. Calibre will no longer detect my Kindle Keyboard (software 3.3). This is on Mac OS X 10.7.3

When I start Calibre in debug mode I get the following which looks like maybe Apple shipped a broken Python version with 10.7.3, but here's what I get:

Exception in thread Thread-6:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 530, in __bootstrap_inner
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 285, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 223, in detect_device
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/scanner.py", line 240, in is_device_connected
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/interface.py", line 181, in is_usb_connected
KeyError: 26720L

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.41
Darwin-11.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Darwin
('Darwin', '11.3.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 11.3.0: Thu Jan 12 18:47:41 PST 2012; root:xnu-1699.24.23~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.1
OSX: ('10.7.3', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
Started up in 4.52 seconds with 158 books

When I first noticed this happening, I plugged in my Kindle, and as one of those million to one chances, a Time Machine backup was going at the same time, things got "stuck" and I had to eject some things uncleanly. Since then I have gotten Calibre to recognize my Kindle at least once after starting it in debug mode, and then restarting it in normal mode again.

I've considered the possibility of filesystem damage to the Kindle, but it has no problems reading books, and I can load them manually without issue. Plus the error message looks like it's a Python issue. While I am willing to try formatting the Kindle's internal drive, I would very much prefer not to unless absolutely necessary. Also, when I connect my Kindle to a Windows machine and run Calibre, it has no problems detecting my Kindle.

Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.
aerogems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->miscellaneous and post the output from debug device detection with your kindle connected.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
aerogems
aerogems began at the beginning.

And wouldn't you know it, after connecting it to another computer with Calibre installed, now it seems to have corrected whatever was wrong on my Mac.

If it acts up again, I will come back and post the output of Pref->Misc->Debug Device unless you want it even when detected.
aerogems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
santino27
santino27 began at the beginning.

I'm getting a similar issue... first time I've used Calibre in a month or so (and dl'd the latest version), but it's not detecting my kindle.

Here's the requested output (on a WIn7 box):

calibre, version 0.8.41
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>UnboundLocalError</b>:local variable 'pythoncom' referenced before assignment

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\device_debug.py" , line 41, in debug
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\__init__.py", line 106, in debug
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 240, in is_device_connected
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\interface.py", line 163, in is_usb_connected
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\interface.py", line 135, in is_usb_connected_windows
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 658, in can_handle_windows
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'pythoncom' referenced before assignment

Last edited by santino27; 03-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.
santino27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Disconnect your iphone/ipad.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
brycej
brycej began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre is not detecting my iPad in version 0.8.41.

The output from "Go to preferences->miscellaneous and post the output from debug device detection with your kindle connected." is exactly as posted above.

My iPad is the only removable device I have connected to this computer and it has always worked previously.

Cheers.
brycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I suggest using the connect to itunes method, it is the recommended way to connect to idevices, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118559
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
santino27
santino27 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Disconnect your iphone/ipad.
Gotcha. Has it always been like this? I suppose that it's possible I just never had my phone plugged in before, but that's a pretty surprising (albeit fortuitous) occurrence.

Regardless, disconnecting my phone and restarting calibre worked like a charm. Thanks for the help (and your invaluable app).
santino27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
Gotcha. Has it always been like this? I suppose that it's possible I just never had my phone plugged in before, but that's a pretty surprising (albeit fortuitous) occurrence.

Regardless, disconnecting my phone and restarting calibre worked like a charm. Thanks for the help (and your invaluable app).
Yes! (And it is not limited to i-whatever)
You can't have 2 (Calibre) recognised devices connected at the same time (I would not even trust 'Charge Only' mode, not to cause issues.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote