Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Some of you might like more storage and more versatility.

I use 1and1 hosting services for my Writing Site and also for personal stuff.

http://order.1and1.com/;jsessionid=C...E6C.TCpfix244b

Of course there are the free trials for hosting and cheap domain names for trials.
example an .info site is on sale now for 99 cents for a year.
ie. [yourname].info

you can get a first year of most any other domain for 5 to $7 dollars, and the $10 per year after.

A basic hosting site has 50GB storage and unlimited traffic for $5.00 per month ($60 per year.) Of course there is a free period which reduces the price. This is without a personalized domain name. They do provide a 1and1 domain name.

I have used a more expensive package, of "unlimited storage" and "unlimited traffic" for $7.00/month ($84 a year) and that includes 1 free domain name, so the actual cost is $74/ year for the web siting.

I currently use a business package for $10 per per month where you get a lot of stuff that most people don't need.

Now you can set up a website, mail boxes, picture albums, everything. They provide simple tools but there are more extensive tools available as you get more expensive packages, or you can go to the internet and find cheap or free web tools. Years ago, I got a simple "previous edition" Serif web editor for $20 to just try out and found that it did what I wanted nicely, but I don't recommend that for most people. I liked the editor and thought about moving up to the next edition but found that it was developed for Vista. I wanted nothing to do with Vista so didn't get it.

All the current packages except the cheaper one $5/mo offer 1 free personal domain. Currently I have 4 domain names.

Look around. They have other stuff too. There is a "mywebsite person" that I just saw that I am not familar with. You can try it out free for 30 days.

A few years ago they gave more free personalized names with the plans but times change.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Some of you might like more storage and more versatility.

I use 1and1 hosting services for my Writing Site and also for personal stuff.

http://order.1and1.com/;jsessionid=C...E6C.TCpfix244b

Of course there are the free trials for hosting and cheap domain names for trials.
example an .info site is on sale now for 99 cents for a year.
ie. [yourname].info

you can get a first year of most any other domain for 5 to $7 dollars, and the $10 per year after.

A basic hosting site has 50GB storage and unlimited traffic for $5.00 per month ($60 per year.) Of course there is a free period which reduces the price. This is without a personalized domain name. They do provide a 1and1 domain name.

I have used a more expensive package, of "unlimited storage" and "unlimited traffic" for $7.00/month ($84 a year) and that includes 1 free domain name, so the actual cost is $74/ year for the web siting.

I currently use a business package for $10 per per month where you get a lot of stuff that most people don't need.

Now you can set up a website, mail boxes, picture albums, everything. They provide simple tools but there are more extensive tools available as you get more expensive packages, or you can go to the internet and find cheap or free web tools. Years ago, I got a simple "previous edition" Serif web editor for $20 to just try out and found that it did what I wanted nicely, but I don't recommend that for most people. I liked the editor and thought about moving up to the next edition but found that it was developed for Vista. I wanted nothing to do with Vista so didn't get it.

All the current packages except the cheaper one $5/mo offer 1 free personal domain. Currently I have 4 domain names.

Look around. They have other stuff too. There is a "mywebsite person" that I just saw that I am not familar with. You can try it out free for 30 days.

A few years ago they gave more free personalized names with the plans but times change.
That's cheaper then my host. I pay $9.95 a month for Unlimited space and bandwidth. I use HostGator. I long ago converted my site to Wordpress and don't need to use html editor anymore. I think content managers are the way to go now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'll give a thumbs up to 1&1 as that is what I've been using for probably a decade or more ...not sure exactly when I started there...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll give a thumbs up to 1&1 as that is what I've been using for probably a decade or more ...not sure exactly when I started there...
Then you are probably familiar with 1and1's one annoying habit of trying to move you up as they change their packages. I have been fighting them on it for at least 6 years. I fussed over a year before I got "grandfathered" in properly though they kept saying it was O.K. and telling me to choose some options that I never could find.

Then a few months ago, I noticed a difference in my semi-annual payment. I went there the other day and tried to find out what I really was paying for because I knew I had been getting at least 2 free domain names and paying for 2 more but now I don't know how the names are distributed since I notice they are only giving 1 name for free on the packages they list. I need to call call to figure it out.

I have so much space that I let one trustworthy old work friend from back in the day at the company have FTP access to the site, and he used it in his teaching. One time I looked and he had a very early unauthorized beta for Win 7 on it that he had gotten from a student. Many other people in the family have access to directories, with picture galleries, etc.

Never a problem technically except with directory passwords when you change certain things. There is a trick there that does work.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started doing this about a month ago, Paid the $20 fir 20gb and the nice thing is that music uploads are unlimited I have about 4000 tracks uploaded so far.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then you are probably familiar with 1and1's one annoying habit of trying to move you up as they change their packages. I have been fighting them on it for at least 6 years. I fussed over a year before I got "grandfathered" in properly though they kept saying it was O.K. and telling me to choose some options that I never could find.
I'd never stick with a host that try pull to something like that. My host is simple and straightforward. Never had issues, been with them since 2004. Paid the same price always. Package has gotten better over the years but never a price change. I do get my domain through Go Daddy though. Back when Sims 2 was pretty popular I used alot of bandwidth sometimes 10GB or more a month. They never complained once.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #22
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'd never stick with a host that try pull to something like that. My host is simple and straightforward. Never had issues, been with them since 2004. Paid the same price always. Package has gotten better over the years but never a price change. I do get my domain through Go Daddy though. Back when Sims 2 was pretty popular I used alot of bandwidth sometimes 10GB or more a month. They never complained once.
Blossom, they weren't really trying to pull something. It was a matter of getting the right people. They told me it was fine and to do something that I couldn't do, but actually then it was ok. I never paid more money.

I have used Go Daddy for domain names, and after the first year, they are too high. I have had about 4 or 5 domain providers, Yahoo, Go Daddy, two somebody else's, and finally I consolidated them all with 1and1. Kennyc and I have unlimited bandwidth. You get that with every package even the bottom $60/year ($4.99/month)
Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Blossom, they weren't really trying to pull something. It was a matter of getting the right people. They told me it was fine and to do something that I couldn't do, but actually then it was ok. I never paid more money.

I have used Go Daddy for domain names, and after the first year, they are too high. I have had about 4 or 5 domain providers, Yahoo, Go Daddy, two somebody else's, and finally I consolidated them all with 1and1. Kennyc and I have unlimited bandwidth. You get that with every package even the bottom $60/year ($4.99/month)
Okay, I always take unlimited bandwidth with a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many Sim sites back in the day was suspended on unlimited bandwidth plans. My site was popular but not as popular as some sites I always spaced my updates apart so I didn't have to deal with that before I found my current host. I pay $17 a year with Go Daddy and that includes private registration. I just let my other domain go this year and decided one was enough. That was fun having to update all the SQL databases once I did that though.
I eventually got it all working correctly again.

Now that I am getting a Kindle Fire I know I will stay with the Amazon Cloud plan next year.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #24
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Me too. ++
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I keep all my important digital stuff on Mozy (free 2GB)
and flash drives. Lots of flash drives.

Other than that I got nothing much, digital. I don't have ten thousand
songs, or five hundred movies.
I do have too many VCR tapes in boxes even after a dozen culls.
I used to just record them off the TV.
And I guess I got a few hundred music cassettes I recorded off the air
too. All good stuff!

All good stuff I need to get rid of!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Digitizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I keep all my important digital stuff on Mozy (free 2GB)
and flash drives. Lots of flash drives.

Other than that I got nothing much, digital. I don't have ten thousand
songs, or five hundred movies.
I do have too many VCR tapes in boxes even after a dozen culls.
I used to just record them off the TV.
And I guess I got a few hundred music cassettes I recorded off the air
too. All good stuff!

All good stuff I need to get rid of!
You can digitize all those music casettes and even the DVR's. The machines to do it are cheap and you can buy them at Amazon. Then you can dump the originals.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #27
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You can digitize all those music casettes and even the DVR's. The machines to do it are cheap and you can buy them at Amazon. Then you can dump the originals.
Good point. I would only add that before you start re-recording everything, go through it all and toss anything you can. Or give it to charity.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #28
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I'm thinking about getting this to use with the Fire, if it works. Does anyone know what type of connection this is? I know the fire will not connect peer to peer or ad hoc, but I'm hoping the fire will communicate wirelessly with this. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satell...=2TNBSF0DC0L7E
A member on another forum has one of these for their iPad & is going to test it with the Fire. S/he promised to update us, so if I hear anything I'll try to let you know-- I'm interested in it as well
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
A member on another forum has one of these for their iPad & is going to test it with the Fire. S/he promised to update us, so if I hear anything I'll try to let you know-- I'm interested in it as well
Thanks I really am hoping this works. That way I can carry most of my content on this. So that way when not in a wifi area, I'm still good.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
If this product really works well, I might have to pick one up!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote