Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
So glad this thread token off a bit. Im about 1/2 way through and love it. The nostalgia is awesome...and while I don't pay over $10 for an ebook I HAD to buy this...and it's well worth it!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ive got about 30 pages left.....its an odd feeling not wanting to read the rest because you dont want it to end.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Ive got about 30 pages left.....its an odd feeling not wanting to read the rest because you dont want it to end.

hahaha...hopefully it's fulfilling at the end and not a cliffhanger where you throw your e-reader off the wall after such a good read !

i just started it, on level 1 - 0002. right at the beginning. it is pretty good thus far and has me wanting to read more, can only read so much at lunch.

if i didn't have a bunch of work to do after work - i love those days - i'd read all night. i'll only be able to manage an hour or so but that'll be enough to keep me going for the week.
need to finish before the weekend though as it's the long weekend and a trip to the cottage will give me zero time to read and all the time in the world to drink / soak up the sun and hang with a bunch of people lol... my "life breaks / vacations" i tend to break from it all and just relax. i may be an opposite but i'm a before bed reader usually and when the eyes start to close that's when i push the reader off to the side and crash.

thanks again for the recommendation, i will post my thoughts once i delve deeper into the world of OASIS.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
jhempel24
Wizard

So long Enders Game. You were at the top for a long time....but you have been replaced by an author unknown to me at the time.

Atop the leaderboard now sits Ready Player One.

Thanks Ernie Cline for writing this.

Its not so much the writing style as the feelings and memories being brought back....and the fact I live in Cincinnati Ohio.....about 20 minutes from Middletown lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i have never read 'ender's game' but from the description it sounds pretty decent.
not so much game / pop culture involved as 'ready player one'

if time permits in my life maybe i'll get to it and it'll reach my soon to be read pile rather than my later to be read pile :P
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #21
jhempel24
Wizard

Oh no its most definately not pop culture. But fantastic none the less
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I finished it a bit ago. I enjoyed the book, and the fact that I am not a gamer didn't seem to matter. It's not anything that takes much in the way of thinking, and I can definitely see it as a movie. It was a good story and a quick read. I'm not in love with it as other folks here seem to be, but I'm probably outside of the target demographic for it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #23
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
and the fact that I am not a gamer didn't seem to matter.
I disagree....I think that you "get it" more...especially if you are a pen and paper RPG gamer. It definatley won't have the same effect if you aren't in the demographic.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Actually, I did the paper and pencil RPG thing (so i was that kind of gamer) a long time ago, but have not kept up. I enjoyed the book anyway, though I am more a William Gibson kinda reader.

My son, by contrast, started with D&D in grade school, lived on Everquest for several years, and until life interfered in the form of getting his BS in IT and making a living sitting in front of a computer--well, he is the demographic.

Last edited by taming; 08-30-2011 at 06:43 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #25
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
thanks to everyone's glowing reviews, i picked up a copy today at my local bookstore
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
jhempel24
Wizard

let us know what you think of it!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #27
siraks
use the force

ahhhh.. finished

i liked it, it was a fun read. it was like reading a really big adventure game. i loved the game within a game type stuff. oh and the 80's stuff was pretty awesome, there were maybe a couple of instances where i didn't know exactly what he was talking about but for the most part i got it all.

Spoiler:
the ending was kind of predictable, you knew that they were all going to meet and they'd fall in love etc etc, it almost played out and ended like a classic 80's movie. and even though there were no twists and turns at the end there i'm so glad they lived and won...as i was reading i was saying to myself that if Wade sacrifices himself and dies i'll be really upset. his plan inside IOI was cool, but it almost went too quick for me. i know there was a timeline / deadline with regards to how much time he had available but i felt like there was something missing in that part of the book. i also know that the books core was OASIS and that any time spent out of it was just to set something up inside of it.

the book displayed a wide range of emotions and i'm glad i picked it up and read it. from the description i would have given it a tron / matrix feel but after reading it i can't give it any type of feel i think it stands on its own and others will be like 'ready player one'.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm tempted to pick it up based on the negative reviews from Amazon, but it's around the same cost as a pile of other books I'm already wanting to read. It's hard for books to even weasel themselves onto my WTR list let alone get a spot on the TBR list.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm tempted to pick it up based on the negative reviews from Amazon, but it's around the same cost as a pile of other books I'm already wanting to read. It's hard for books to even weasel themselves onto my WTR list let alone get a spot on the TBR list.
it probably has a lot to do with timing as well. if i hadn't seen this i would have spent money on something else and then seeing the price of this might have passed or at least waited.

it is still early in it's release, i bet in a couple of months it'll drop down.

a book i read ' the sisters brothers ' was almost $20 as an ebook when first released, i think it's now at $11 ish.

so you can play the waiting game if you have other things to read.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
ahhhh.. finished

i liked it, it was a fun read. it was like reading a really big adventure game. i loved the game within a game type stuff. oh and the 80's stuff was pretty awesome, there were maybe a couple of instances where i didn't know exactly what he was talking about but for the most part i got it all.

Spoiler:
the ending was kind of predictable, you knew that they were all going to meet and they'd fall in love etc etc, it almost played out and ended like a classic 80's movie. and even though there were no twists and turns at the end there i'm so glad they lived and won...as i was reading i was saying to myself that if Wade sacrifices himself and dies i'll be really upset. his plan inside IOI was cool, but it almost went too quick for me. i know there was a timeline / deadline with regards to how much time he had available but i felt like there was something missing in that part of the book. i also know that the books core was OASIS and that any time spent out of it was just to set something up inside of it.

the book displayed a wide range of emotions and i'm glad i picked it up and read it. from the description i would have given it a tron / matrix feel but after reading it i can't give it any type of feel i think it stands on its own and others will be like 'ready player one'.
Im so glad you enjoyed this! And I do agree about the end....but it was so satisfactory...alot of my lgirlfriends were met online in the early days of the net...and that was definately a familiar feeling for me written.

I usually dont send emails to authors but I made it a point to send him one. No reponse though lol. Either way...this book speajs to me lol.