Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
bwlonge
bwlonge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Amazon was never anything but forthcoming about the KSO, there wasn't even any fine print to be confused about.

this is just as confusing as the folks that complain about the regular screensavers; how much time do you spend staring at the kindle without actually reading it?
i highly value your opinion.
bwlonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
About 6 hours a day. It sits on my desk at work sleeping. So, it's always in my peripheral vision. Sadly, I can't just read all day. Maybe I can pitch it to the powers-that-be to make that my position. Just to read.

Wishful thinking...
you're scaring me! i'll never want to work for a living!

i wish the kindle had that cool edgar allen poe graphic the nooks have.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
About 6 hours a day. It sits on my desk at work sleeping. So, it's always in my peripheral vision. Sadly, I can't just read all day. Maybe I can pitch it to the powers-that-be to make that my position. Just to read.

Wishful thinking...
mine sleeps in its cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlonge View Post
i highly value your opinion.
I don't see you going far here
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I don't understand people's bad feelings toward the KSO. I have a "regular" K3 and I bought a KSO just so I could take advantage of the offers! I know lots of people who have done the same thing. I got a $100 credit from Audible.com for joining, bought the KSO so it cost me only $14 out of pocket and I've already regained that by take advantage of some of the special offers. (I was an Audible member already, but changed my plan to take advantage of the $100 offer, so it was a win-win situation for me.)
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool try one of these

Quote:

Wishful thinking...
1. close the cover.
2. if it lacks a cover then lay it down with the screen side down.
3. turn it off.
4. put a sheet of paper, magazine, file folder or book on it.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
tarataqa
Our Lady of the Internet
tarataqa began at the beginning.

Device: NookColorCM7;Kindle3SO;iTouch 1G;LG Optimus V
I don't know why people keep whining about the ads. Have you been to a website with Flash ads? Now THOSE are annoying!

The KSO will more than pay for itself if you're an Amazon shopper:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131386
tarataqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
metr0man
metr0man is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Maybe you should contact Kindle customer support and tell them you'd like to exchange the KSO for a regular Kindle, paying the $25 difference.
Hmm, are there reports of Amazon actually doing this? Does it require a physical swap, or can they just do it via software? push a "regular" Kindle software the way they would a firmware update?
metr0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0man View Post
Hmm, are there reports of Amazon actually doing this? Does it require a physical swap, or can they just do it via software? push a "regular" Kindle software the way they would a firmware update?
It requires a physical swap. You can return or exchange a Kindle within 30 days of purchase.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It requires a physical swap. You can return or exchange a Kindle within 30 days of purchase.
At least one poster has claimed that Amazon "flipped a switch" on their end and turned the KSO into a regular Kindle (for no charge). To be perfectly honest though, I didn't believe them. Period.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #25
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlonge View Post
didn't realize "Special Offers" really means "With advertisements". Not enough research? probably. Sneaky way of wording what the product actually is? probably.

I know you don't have to be signed in to read, I'm doing that just fine. But I forsee needing to buy books from amazon as kindle edition. If i do that, does it put a physical file on your kindle? if so, could I back that file up, reset to defaults (as to erase the ads), then put my backed up documents on the fresh kindle?
I guess for some people life is pretty darn sneaky.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #26
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Just to be clear, with the KSO are the ads only on the screen saver or also on menu pages? If only on the screen saver then I just don't get the fuss.

Alan you forgot "Stick it in a drawer."
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Just to be clear, with the KSO are the ads only on the screen saver or also on menu pages?
Screen "saver" and in the main screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Screen "saver" and in the main screen.
There's a small banner ad at the bottom of the Home screen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
The ads are on the screensaver and at the bottom of your home pages.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote