Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
The nook has ghosting in sunlight. The text was unreadable in the store, but when I went at night or afternoon it was fine. It only happens on the store model in the morning when the sun hits the display.

I read outside a a good bit. If they would fix it like Kobo then I would consider it. The Kobo lacks dictionary support for epub, which I just don't understand. Not to mention very few text options. The text options will be addressed soon according to a press release from Kobo. I have a few academic books where a dictionary is very helpful while reading.

I like how the Kobo feels in my hands while reading and would probably buy a Kobo Touch if they would include dictionary support.

I love the quilted back of the kobo.
I own the Nook Touch & K3 (i know, overkill); If the Kobo had comparable battery life to either one, I would be my choice hands down.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
If you wait long enough, most consumer electronics will be given away in a packet of cornflakes.

They constantly get better and cheaper. You have to decide on when they are good enough and cheap enough for your needs. That's when you buy.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I ordered a kindle with a lighted cover this morning. I also bought some Fritz Leiber books to read when it gets here.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I ordered a kindle with a lighted cover this morning. I also bought some Fritz Leiber books to read when it gets here.
Congratulations; I know you're going to love it.

I'm loving mine and find it quite versatile for my needs. You'll definitely get your money's worth out of it. Take advantage of enough Special Offers and it'll end up being free for you, the same way mine is free.

If Amazon goes to a touch screen K4 this holiday season, I'll jump on it. I'm currently without a second ereader.

btw, what color is your cover?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #20
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If Amazon goes to a touch screen K4 this holiday season, I'll jump on it. I'm currently without a second ereader.

btw, what color is your cover?
Part of the reason I got the KSO, I figure I will be upgrading in a year or so.

I got the black cover. I gave serious thought to a more colorful cover. Someone pointed out that your less likely to leave it behind if it doesn't blend in. If I was stil working and not being a fulltime dad, then I might have grabbed the color.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #21
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Enjoy the Kindle!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Yup enjoy the Kindle you surely will love it a lot

Bought mine not too long ago and I'm not disappointed. For now I'm not even thinking in buying other 6", maybe if a Kindle 4 does comes out I'll fall in love with it and won't resist, but only time will tell

And you can install Duokan an alternative firmware for the kindle, it's pretty good. Better .pdf support and you can read .epub on it but only without DRM I think ^^

Happy reading
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #23
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
They constantly get better and cheaper. You have to decide on when they are good enough and cheap enough for your needs. That's when you buy.
That is really good advice.

I just read another article yesterday (I think Wall Street Journal) where the author was speculating that another Kindle will come out this holiday season. Not sure if he was just making that assumption because it will be a year since the K3 came out or not though.

But because I already have an iPad, and I also read on my iPod touch, I think I will at least wait until the end of the year to see if a new K4 (or even a new Sony) comes out, and then pick one up either way.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
timpearson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #24
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpearson26 View Post
But because I already have an iPad, and I also read on my iPod touch, I think I will at least wait until the end of the year to see if a new K4 (or even a new Sony) comes out, and then pick one up either way.

If this is working fine for you, ok; you obviously don't read outside much in sunlight........I, personally do, enough to warrant an e-ink reader, irrespective of tablets/ipods.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
jtdolphins
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpearson26 View Post
I just read another article yesterday (I think Wall Street Journal) where the author was speculating that another Kindle will come out this holiday season. Not sure if he was just making that assumption because it will be a year since the K3 came out or not though.

My ipod seems to always need charged. I need something with some battery life to it. I had given serious thought to the Ipad, but it doesn't fit what I need right now. Probably end up with one later for PDFs and comic books. After looking at ereaders, I understand why most people have two devices.

I fully expect to see the the K4 and hopefully some new Sony ereaders by the end of the year. Amazon will want to release their new tablet and kindle before the ipad update in early 2012. I just hope they don't rush it out like so many other tablet makers.