Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
LarsonMattr
Edge User

New York Times App?

Hi, recently the New York Times made their own android app for online/offline reading of the paper. Since we still can't access the Android MarketPlace with eDGe (ohhh the tooth gnashing on this!), it seems like we can't get this app.

Does anyone know how to get an .apk of this one?

Here's a page to a description of it:
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...imes_guaa.html

Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
OncTech
Edge User

I did a little investigating with this one. There are at present several obstacles to the NYTimes app working on the edge:
1. It is allegedly built for Android 2.0+
2. It's not available outside the market
3. Even obtained through a device with market access, the apk is a "Protected App" and therefore cannot be backed up via astro and exported in the usual workaround. (at least, not unless your phone is rooted)
4. Even then, many apps obtained through the market are linked to a goggle account (especially protected ones, even if free) and if somehow circumvented, they may cease functioning when the device that the apk is put onto (like the edge) does not match that account.

That really stinks because I would have liked this app too. I'm going to do some further digging though to see if a solution can be worked out.

In the meantime though, I did find a way to get NYT articles for download and consumption as EPUB files that are readable on the eInk side. I use wizardrss.com to convert RSS links on NYT so they retrieve the full articles, then I use Feedbooks.com to make my own "newspaper" by adding those converted RSS feeds. Then whenever I want a fresh "newspaper," I log into feedbooks on the edge and just download the EPUB file (PDF is also available). The file is created from the most recent feeds at time of download, and the filename has a date marker.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
LarsonMattr
Edge User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Note that the New York Times is available as a full newspaper at http://ebookstore.sony.com/periodica...00000000192319. Sony's offerings are 100% compatible with the eDGe, but you have to download the EPUB to your PC then copy it to your eDGe.
Wow! That's nice to know! I thought the only way to get it was through their TimesReader system -
I would love to read the NYTimes as an .epub every day

-Matt

Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

No chance to get it outside Market

"Thank you for contacting NYTimes.com.

The Android NYTimes Reader is currently only available through the Android
market for devices and OS versions that have been explicitly approved by
Google to access copy-protected applications in the Market. Unfortunately at
this time there are no plans to distribute the installation package via
other channels."

Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
LarsonMattr
Edge User

So.. why can't the eDGe get into the Market?

I've tried emailing Google a couple of times to support the eDGe, I've put it into their help request system, but what is really keeping the eDGe out of the Marketplace?

This seems really crappy that Google doesn't open up their market to the eDGe, especially as there is going to be a slew of Android tablets soon, which are all going to have the same issue!

-Matt

Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
walt526
Edge User

I've poked around some other forums on this issue. Google's motivation seems that they don't want to deal with customers purchasing an application that won't run on a particular device (e.g., a GPS or telephone app wouldn't run on an eDGe) and then demanding $0.99 refunds or whatever (since it costs them considerably more money than their margin on an app to process a refund requests). Of course, as more and more Android phones with different capabilities are being sold, they're already running into those sorts of problems.

Google in the process of developing a new "Android Market" app that will do a better job of screening devices in order to only show applications that will work. As far as I can tell, it's all speculation, but the new Market app will be released sometime this summer and (again, speculation by internet users--so take with a grain of salt) will run on devices that currently cannot access the Market.