Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Is there anyway to download Genre? In addition to tags.

I want to organize my library (and subsequent Kindle collection) by Genre, but I also want to use Tags. Tags are numerous and I will use them to search, but I only want like 10-20 genres this way I can see them all on 2-3 pages on my Kindle. But I don't see any Genres downloaded with Metadata. I've added some other peoples' libraries and see that some books have Genres. Are these all manually added or is there a way to download them too?
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The genre field is a custom column added to the library. The metadata download plugins can only populate the default metadata fields, you'll have to populate custom fields manually.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
iridius
Connoisseur

So, the fact that it is there already, means the person I got the library from, did some manual labor? Man, that sucks. I don't know if I have the time, patience or motivation to do that... Is there a way to maybe limit the number of tags. I can live without a ton of tags, if I can download say the most important or relevant tag for a book I could then use it as a genre. Or is there a source that only has a couple tags, Google (i think it is) gets like 20 per book...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Yeah, the genre field was filled by whomever you got the library from. I don't know of any way to limit the number of tags downloaded.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks... I will ponder this dilemma for a bit...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
I can live without a ton of tags, if I can download say the most important or relevant tag for a book I could then use it as a genre.
I turned off downloading tags in Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins. Customize each plugin and uncheck download tags. I then manually add a few tags (bulk metadata edit Window works great) to suit my purpose.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks for the idea.

Can you post a list of the tags you use, I will use the basic Dewey decimal system subjects if I don't figure out something better.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
Can you post a list of the tags you use, I will use the basic Dewey decimal system subjects if I don't figure out something better.
I have around 6000 books and about 800 tags, so can see that I don't try to fully minimize the use of tags.

If you're going to do this manually you might want to continue downloading tags to help with searching and just use the existing Genre custom column for finer sorting.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
iridius
Connoisseur

Yeah, I may do that, but there are too many tags to be useful sometimes. I have to test the different sources (Metadata Download Plugins) what do you recommend Amazon, Google, ISBNDB or Goodreads?