Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
readerdm
readerdm began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Can't Get to Bootloader

My Gen3 was having problems so I tried to reload the firmware. It got halfway through the firmware reload and stopped, I'm afraid the battery might have been too low. Now I just get the first splash screen and the green LED stays on forever (or until I push the reset button). I can't get back to the bootloader by pressing ENTER on power-up either. Battery charging works and battery is now full, but still nothing. It doesn't show up via USB interface either. I sent some e-mails to Bookeen, but no response.

So, does anybody know how to restore the bootloader on a Gen3? I am reasonably technical, so I will try anything to get it back from it's current brick status. I saw some mention of connections to the internal serial port on the motherboard, can anything be accessed from there to restart it? How about any help from the OpenInkpot or the Netronix EB-100 side of things?
readerdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
morana69
morana69 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Cybook Gen 3 (broken)
Hi,

I've had the same problem in the past. I had to send it back to Bookeen and they repaired it. They fixed it for me under warranty (even though it was more than 12 months since purchase).

They took a few days to get back in touch with me but sent me an RMA number quickly once I'd gone through the 'recovery steps' that they suggested I try first.

In general I've had pretty good service from their support. So it would be worthwhile hanging on for a few days to see what they say before you take any drastic steps.

~ John
morana69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
readerdm

Thanks for the thought, but this unit is over two years old, and I've already opened it up etc. Before I invest to ship and repair it, I'll probably just buy a new one. (But which one... Opus? Kobo etc)

I see lots of folks have hacked into their Gen3, but nothing related to this not being able to boot problem. I found information on the internal JTAG and serial ports connectors. It would seem to me that this would be useful information so that Gen3s could be "unbricked" if some new firmware upload (i.e. OpenInkpot) failed. Perhaps someone will hook up a JTAG interface and read back the bootloader code.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You CAN'T reinstall something in this state, you HAVE to contact Bookeen.

Don't mess with JTAG or anything else or you will likely to brick definitly your device.

And there is not a lot of "people that have hacked their Gen3", there is no alternative firmware for the 400Mhz Gen3 (and the 200Mhz one is no longuer working).
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
readerdm

Tha'ts what I expected. However, Booken has not responded to any e-mails I have sent. I also seem to recall seeing that they will not repair a unit that has been opened. The cost of shipping it to and from France from USA may be close to half the price of a new Opus, and it probably could use a new battery ($50?) too, so it just doesn't seem worth the cost. I should probabably try to buy a Gen3 in the USA that works, but with a damaged screen.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
readerdm

Thumbs up Reloading from vivi

Well, I went ahead and hooked up the serial port to my Gen3, and it works; the baud rate is 115kB. I see a boot up message that matches the one on OpenInkpot etc. but it gets hallfway along and then....

DZ Test vivi code
Press Return to start the LINUX now, any other key for vivi
Copy linux kernel from 0x00030000 to 0x30008000, size = 0x00100000 ... done
zImage magic = 0x016f2818
Setup linux parameters at 0x30000100
linux command line is: "noinitrd root=/dev/mtdblock/2 init=/linuxrc console=ttyS0"
MACH_TYPE = 193
NOW, Booting Linux......
Uncompressing Linux............................................
crc error
-- System halted

So, it looks like the compressed Linux image may be currupted. I can get to the "vivi" command line:

DZ Test vivi code
Press Return to start the LINUX now, any other key for vivi
type "help" for help.
vivi> help
Usage:
cpu [{cmds}] -- Manage cpu clocks
reset -- Reset the system
param [set|show|save|reset] -- set/get parameter
part [add|del|show|reset] -- Manage MTD partitions
mem [{cmds}] -- Manage Memory
load {...} -- Load a file to RAM/Flash
go <addr> <a0> <a1> <a2> <a3> -- jump to <addr>
dump <addr> <length> -- Display (hex dump) a range of memory.
call <addr> <a0> <a1> <a2> <a3> -- jump_with_return to <addr>
boot [{cmds}] -- Booting linux kernel
help [{cmds}] -- Help about help?
vivi>

So, lots of possible options. Does anybody know how I could reload the thing at this point? I have the update kernal files etc from Bookeen, but I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. Perhaps I should switch this over to the Gen3 Developers Forum too
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Your device is semi bricked, only people with correct software/hardware can help you for this.

Don't start to play with vivi, it's a hard to play with it, and you can definitly brick your device if you do something wrong... And bookeen's update file cannot help you in such a state...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
readerdm

Success!
I managed to reload my Gen3 more or less from scratch. Se the Gen3 developers corner forum for more details

Tags
bootloader