Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #136
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Nate please look at this

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/...receptacle.jpg

Apparently not all micro USB are created equal?

Last edited by Barty; 09-21-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #137
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Nate please look at this

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/...receptacle.jpg

Apparently not all micro USB are created equal?
That's what's weird; mine are all micro-AB.

This has generated enough interest that I will take some photos tomorrow. I don't have enough light right now.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #138
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's what's weird; mine are all micro-AB.

This has generated enough interest that I will take some photos tomorrow. I don't have enough light right now.
I'd suspect most of them are micro-B plug/receptacle. The rectangular micro-A plug is used on the master end such as one laptop I have that uses a micro-AB USB 3 receptacle for 1 of it's 3 USB 3 ports. Sadly after close to a year, I've never seen a device that came with a matching cable. By the time I do, I suspect I will be hunting USB 3.1 C connectors instead.

Basically, the chamfered corners of the B plug let it fit into into a B or AB socket but the square corners on the A plug will not plug into a B receptacle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mating-configurations-USB.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	128664   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-3-A-AB.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	128665  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-21-2014 at 11:27 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #139
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I just read the whole issue about the micro USB cable.

So, from what I understand, Kobo will only work Kobo cable? This makes me want to cancel my pre-order and go with Kindle Voyage instead.

Any additional details about this limitations?
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #140
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
I just read the whole issue about the micro USB cable.

So, from what I understand, Kobo will only work Kobo cable? This makes me want to cancel my pre-order and go with Kindle Voyage instead.

Any additional details about this limitations?
I'm wondering if it is like my son's old phone. To allow for placing a cover over the USB connector, they recessed the micro-B connector by a millimeter or so. The cable that came with the phone worked fine but most of my cable collection did not work and the ones that worked needed you to push in on the cable the entire time you were connected to the computer. When I measured the plug, the length from the end of the plug to the overmold was about 1.2mm longer on the phone cable compared to my cable collection oddly matching the recess depth.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #141
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I checked with the Kobo devs and the word is that it's a fluke event that Nate's reader only wants to work with Kobo cable. There is no proprietary cord coming with the H2O, just a standard micro-USB.

EDIT: although DNSB's theory sounds plausible as to why this could happen.

Last edited by robko; 09-22-2014 at 07:15 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I checked with the Kobo devs and the word is that it's a fluke event that Nate's reader only wants to work with Kobo cable. There is no proprietary cord coming with the H2O, just a standard micro-USB.
That is good news. I can order an H2O tomorrow.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #143
frogette
frogette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I checked with the Kobo devs and the word is that it's a fluke event that Nate's reader only wants to work with Kobo cable.
I dunno, but my Aura HD is exactly the same. I can charge it on any generic micro-usb cable but it will only connect to a computer with its own cable. I found out the hard way on a 3 weeks travel.
frogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #144
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogette View Post
I dunno, but my Aura HD is exactly the same. I can charge it on any generic micro-usb cable but it will only connect to a computer with its own cable. I found out the hard way on a 3 weeks travel.
I'm assuming the other cables aren't charge only cables (i.e. will only work for charging, not data transfer)? My guess would be slightly out of manufacturing tolerances on some units. I interchangeably use a number of different USB cords to connect my HD and never had a problem. Not sure exactly where my Kobo version USB cord is right now .... hmmmm ....
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #145
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogette View Post
Interesting--I've used several different cables with my Aura HD--both for connecting to the computer and for connecting to a wall charger. Haven't had any problems at all.
dordale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #146
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Interesting--I've used several different cables with my Aura HD--both for connecting to the computer and for connecting to a wall charger. Haven't had any problems at all.
Same here.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #147
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
How is the waterproof coating on the screen itself (if there is any, I don't know that there would need to be some)? I was immediately turned off from getting an Aura because of the "etch" pattern visible at certain angles as well as the blurriness introduced by the capacitive screen coverings. Does the Aura H2O suffer from these two issues?

(For reference, I'm coming from an original Nook. I found the contrast and blurriness of the Aura to be nearly the same as the Nook despite the increased resolution and newer screen tech thanks to the poor capacitive touch covering)
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #148
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
How is the waterproof coating on the screen itself (if there is any, I don't know that there would need to be some)? I was immediately turned off from getting an Aura because of the "etch" pattern visible at certain angles as well as the blurriness introduced by the capacitive screen coverings. Does the Aura H2O suffer from these two issues?

(For reference, I'm coming from an original Nook. I found the contrast and blurriness of the Aura to be nearly the same as the Nook despite the increased resolution and newer screen tech thanks to the poor capacitive touch covering)
I don't have your answers, but indeed, the Aura was/is terrible. I returned three before giving up on it. Truly bad quality control. That was roughly a year ago and maybe its improved.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #149
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Aura has capacitance touch screen while Aura HD does not. I think it was marketing mistake to call Aura with capacitance touch Aura. It degrades the name with inferior screen resolution.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #150
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Change Screenshots=true to false or your power switch will be taking screenshots rather than sending your ereader to sleep mode.

Should have removed that line but enabled for the screenshot with my original message.

Regards,
David
Hi
is there a way to send device in sleep mode instead of pushing power bottom after using this method ?
or change the scree shot capture bottom ?

to have both abilities ?

it completely change power bottom on my H2O, I can't power on device from sleep just should restart it

Last edited by barobach_so; 05-20-2015 at 07:00 AM.
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote