Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #91
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The books I was unable to download were all of the MS Reader eBooks. I'm hoping once the issue of not getting the code to get the transfer done all of those will go over.
Microsoft shut down the server some time ago. You can't authorise new instances of the reader, nor can you download new copies of the books. If you don't already have them downloaded and de-drmed (& converted) they're lost.

And yes, it would be splendid if they transferred over to a new life.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #92
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I've moved on for all but my Asimov's magazine now, but it will still be a sad day.
Me too. In fact, FW closing is a bit of a blow, because I don't think there is anyway to get Asimov's now in the UK, unless you have a Kindle reader. It is not carried by Kobo UK who I normally use for epubs. Amazon UK will only supply it for the Kindle ereader, and not for Kindle PC, so you cannot download it to your PC and then format convert. I may contact the Asimov's editor and see what she thinks, because she's keen on supporting ereaders. Obviously from her point of view it will affect sales outside the USA.

I am not buying a Kindle just for Asimov's, especially as I have just got a Kobo Glo! There is more to ebooks than Amazon!

ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #93
ladyplf
ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm,pocketpc,nextbook 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am trying to opt in for the transfer, but I am not getting any e-mail response with the access code.

I use a different address for my BN account than I used for the Fictionwise account. I suspect that's going to be a problem. There are only about 30 books in the FW account, and they're all downloaded, so it's no biggie, but I'd just as soon have access to them through the BN account.
I got the same message when I tried the link supplied in the email. But I have had several email address while I've been a member of both fictionwise.com and ereader.com; do I put one of my old email addresses in the link and that went through. Luckily I still have access to the old email address. I wonder if it will do both accounts?
ladyplf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #94
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
My Google-fu seems to be failing me this morning. I don't have a B&N account, and am in the UK, but I can't find a UK version of the site. Are those of you who are talking about having UK accounts for B&N doing it with a UK address on the main .com site?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
My Google-fu seems to be failing me this morning. I don't have a B&N account, and am in the UK, but I can't find a UK version of the site. Are those of you who are talking about having UK accounts for B&N doing it with a UK address on the main .com site?

Graham
Yes, exactly that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #96
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm doing a bulk download from FW, just to be sure as they are all already in Calibre. This download will go straight to a external drive as back up. I only bought DRM free multi format but am still downloading the mobi, epub and PDF versions.

Funnily enough my library states 177 books but my back ups are 179 books in all formats. I think i need to do a calibre tick back.

I am debating about trying the NOOK transfer, I am in the UK too, I'm not too worried about the transfer but would the resuting epubs (assuming i get any ) be DRM'd?

I am assuming B&N uses DRM, like Amazon does?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #97
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
I opted in for the transfer and got 6 of 135. I bulk downloaded and got only the open format books (59). I can't figure out any way to get the "Secure OEBFF" books. My Rocket ereader, or whatever it was called, is long gone. Anyone have any ideas? I never did figure out how to get those secure books onto my PC for potential future use...

I HATE DRM!
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #98
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
I opted in for the transfer and got 6 of 135. I bulk downloaded and got only the open format books (59). I can't figure out any way to get the "Secure OEBFF" books. My Rocket ereader, or whatever it was called, is long gone. Anyone have any ideas? I never did figure out how to get those secure books onto my PC for potential future use...

I HATE DRM!

Per the bulk download notes, secure books would automatically be added, but they are not in the zip files.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #99
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I haven't received an email yet, and I'm in the UK, are other people still waiting for an email?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #100
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I haven't received an email yet, and I'm in the UK, are other people still waiting for an email?
Yes, I have not had one yet. The last email I had from FW was May 2010, but I still have an account with them. My last purchase was September 2012. (I am in the UK).
Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #101
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, exactly that.
Thanks Harry, I'll set that up.

Quote:
Uk user here too, and I've not had an email yet. I've checked that the email address on my Fictionwise account is the correct one, and I'll use that to set up a B&N account.

My books are all downloaded and backed up anyway, but I guess it's the principle of the thing and a feeling that getting the books transferred at least provides continuity back to the good old days of Fictionwise!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #102
ShellShock
Wizard

Do you need a nook to buy ebooks from B & N, specifically magazine subscriptions like Asimov's science fiction? With Amazon, they will only allow downloading magazines direct to the device, and not to Kindle reading software on your PC.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #103
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyplf View Post
I see people say they use Calibre to convert books with drm, how is that done, especially with an ereader.com book or is it even possible?
Calibre itself does not process DRM'ed ebooks.
But it can be extended with plugins, software modules that you can configure to process different types of DRM'ed ebooks. Including eReader format.
It has long been considered sensible to process your ebooks right after purchase to be on the safe side of something like this.

Do a web search for "Apprentice Alf"...
It's like the days of Prohibition, you gotta know a guy that knows a guy to get into the speakeasy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #104
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I'm doing a bulk download from FW, just to be sure as they are all already in Calibre. This download will go straight to a external drive as back up. I only bought DRM free multi format but am still downloading the mobi, epub and PDF versions.

Funnily enough my library states 177 books but my back ups are 179 books in all formats. I think i need to do a calibre tick back.

I am debating about trying the NOOK transfer, I am in the UK too, I'm not too worried about the transfer but would the resuting epubs (assuming i get any ) be DRM'd?

I am assuming B&N uses DRM, like Amazon does?
The 2 extra files are manifest files which Fictionwise stuck in the 2 ZIP files you downloaded. Each one lists the ebooks in one of ZIP file.s
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #105
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post

I HATE DRM!

Per the bulk download notes, secure books would automatically be added, but they are not in the zip files.
Is OEBFF unique to the Rocket? If so then the files might not even exist anymore. They could have been stored on a server which went down when Rocket died.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote