Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #76
tx1
tx1 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
If anybody is more versed in that field than I am, please do follow that route. If it's really like knc1 said (IANAL, and I literally either fall asleep, or get nauseous, as soon as I'm confronted with lawyers), then this may even be worth reporting to the FSFE.
You could contact EFF, they may have a legal clerk or volunteer who can assist in writing and sending the most effective request for gplv3 "installation instructions"/keys.
https://www.eff.org/pages/legal-assistance
https://www.eff.org/about/contact

Describe to them briefly what has happened with 5.3.0, and ask if they can recommend someone who works with jailbreaks and GPLv3, or who could provide you with advice.

you have the subject matter expertise to help EFF get what the community needs. I dont think EFF necessarily picks up specific items like this on their own.

(hate to say it, but consumer ownership of a fully-locked 5.3.0 Device would lend weight to the request as well)

Last edited by tx1; 11-11-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammarss
tx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #77
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx1 View Post
You could contact EFF, they may have a legal clerk or volunteer who can assist in writing and sending the most effective request for gplv3 "installation instructions"/keys.
https://www.eff.org/pages/legal-assistance
https://www.eff.org/about/contact

Describe to them briefly what has happened with 5.3.0, and ask if they can recommend someone who works with jailbreaks and GPLv3, or who could provide you with advice.

you have the subject matter expertise to help EFF get what the community needs. I dont think EFF necessarily picks up specific items like this on their own.

(hate to say it, but consumer ownership of a fully-locked 5.3.0 Device would lend weight to the request as well)
Unfortunately, it turned out to be false alarm. There's no GPLv3 licensed software on Paperwhite (or at least we haven't found it yet).
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #78
blanca_luz
blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle DXi-Touch-Keyboard-FireHD; Nook Touch Glowlight; Sony PRS-T1...
One more.
I was about to buy a PW, but now I'll keep my K Touch 'till the end of time...

I don't understand why is so hard to sell Kindle with something like Ixtab did with JBPatch (to me, the perfect interface for my kindle). If PW worked like my Touch+JBPatch I would not even look for a Jailbreak...

But Amazon, Apple, etc don't even consider to make things easy to users/customers...

Sure I will not buy a PW unless I can do Jailbreak.
As it is now is just another simple reader, I know it because I had me friend's KP in my hands for a few days. Fortunatelly is still in 5.2.0, so I told him to keep WIFI off.

Thanks guys, for all the info.
blanca_luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #79
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Besides mine i've bought 3 more KT and 3 K4NT for friends. No way I'm going to buy or recommend my friends to buy a PW unless it's possible to jaibreak it and install JBPatch.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #80
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
Besides mine i've bought 3 more KT and 3 K4NT for friends. No way I'm going to buy or recommend my friends to buy a PW unless it's possible to jaibreak it and install JBPatch.
Sadly, Amazon sold more Paperwhites than they can deliver in a reasonable time frame, so losing sales to most of us (too late for many of us) and our friends and family is no great loss to them, and will actually improve their shipping schedules.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #81
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Sadly, Amazon sold more Paperwhites than they can deliver in a reasonable time frame, so losing sales to most of us (too late for many of us) and our friends and family is no great loss to them, and will actually improve their shipping schedules.
My thoughts exactly

edit: although that sounds really cynical and I mean it pragmatically

Last edited by twobob; 11-11-2012 at 10:41 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #82
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Unfortunately true.

Any boycott at this time of year would only aid Amazon in digging themselves out of the Public Relations hole they have dug for themselves.

In the USA, the marketing rule-of-thumb is that to catch the Holiday Buying season sales, the product has to be on the store shelves in October.
OR in the case of modern day mail-order ('net stores) ready to ship in October.

In the USA, last week was already too late to get delivery by Christmas (2012) directly from the Amazon store.

Accepting pre-orders for devices yet to be built and available for shipment is the best they can do for this Holiday Buying season.
(Unless they intend to extend that season to Easter. )

Boycotts only work when a vendor is holding an over-stock of non-selling devices.
Otherwise I would be the guy holding the "Don't Buy" sign in the front of the mob scene.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #83
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Boycotts only work when a vendor is holding an over-stock of non-selling devices.
O, I never had the illusion that my not buying a PW would hurt Amazon. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a boycot, I simply don't want a PW if it's locked.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #84
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
I wonder if libfreetype on Kindle is patched against this kind of attacks:

http://esec-lab.sogeti.com/post/Anal...3-font-exploit
https://github.com/comex/star_

There is support for custom fonts in /mnt/us/fonts, we can also run PDFs or websites with embedded fonts. I think I'll dig into this over weekend, but any help will be appreciated.
Amazon is shipping a heavily stripped down (and possibly modified?) old version of libfreetype.

I haven't yet looked what libfreetype is shipping with 5.3.0 but we know that the Touch 5.1.2 version labeled libfreetype.so.6.3.20 crashes when you put DejaVu Sans into /mnt/us/fonts.

KPW 5.2.0 has the same version number as 5.1.2, so it could be worth a try.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #85
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Amazon is shipping a heavily stripped down (and possibly modified?) old version of libfreetype.

I haven't yet looked what libfreetype is shipping with 5.3.0 but we know that the Touch 5.1.2 version labeled libfreetype.so.6.3.20 crashes when you put DejaVu Sans into /mnt/us/fonts.

KPW 5.2.0 has the same version number as 5.1.2, so it could be worth a try.
Sometimes a crash can allow remote code execution (i.e. jailbreak possibilities)... It would help to know where it goes when it crashes. Are they using ASLR (address space layout randomization)? There are defeats for ASLR, but it gets a lot more complicated...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #86
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Sometimes a crash can allow remote code execution (i.e. jailbreak possibilities)... It would help to know where it goes when it crashes. Are they using ASLR (address space layout randomization)? There are defeats for ASLR, but it gets a lot more complicated...
The full details of the font exploit cover this.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #87
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
O, I never had the illusion that my not buying a PW would hurt Amazon. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a boycot, I simply don't want a PW if it's locked.
Sometimes the English language is a hindrance to communication.

There are two common definitions:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/boycott
I posted in the sense of (1) you posted in the sense of (2).
Perhaps that will help in following what I wrote in my post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #88
Jesse83
Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle PW
Yeah it sucks big time that we can't jailbreak 5.3.0 at the moment. But you guys are using it to remove special offers. So if you want, everyone has to be ready to pay that 20$ more on every single devices. Though I agree it's stupid to even do that, never heard of it, selling devices with or without advertisements. But they wouldn't care as much if there wasn't that at stake.

Anyway suppose by any miracle we have another jailbreak, do we have to like keep the device in airplane mode all the time ? To prevent yet another possible update ? that would really suck to be honest. Isn't there a way to block these updates (without blocking kindle shop)? Without disabling wifi? Not that there is updates often, but you never know.
And it almost feel like they can brick your device with one push of a button...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Expect breaking news. 5.3.0 introduced ofiicial support for custom screensavers. Or, at least, prototype of it.
Can you elaborate?

Last edited by Jesse83; 11-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Jesse83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #89
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse83 View Post
Yeah it sucks big time that we can't jailbreak 5.3.0 at the moment. But you guys are using it to remove special offers.
I think you're speaking a bit too generally here. There's not even SO over here in Germany (well, there is for the Fires, but not the e-ink models). I'm simply jailbreaking it because Amazon is refusing to sell me an open platform. That aside, I think the amount of cheapskates buying a Kindle with SO and then coming here to remove them is not that big. Certainly not big enough to justify actions against jailbreaks from the numbers alone.

The number of hackers who really work with it as an open device is pretty small, however. To be honest, I expected it to be bigger, and I expected much more potential, given the large number of devices out there.

I'm still expecting my PW to be delivered, and since I learned about this FW update, I lost a lot of motivation to keep it. Will probably make a good price on ebay if I decide to let it go and stay with my K3...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #90
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse83 View Post
Yeah it sucks big time that we can't jailbreak 5.3.0 at the moment. But you guys are using it to remove special offers. So if you want, everyone has to be ready to pay that 20$ more on every single devices. Though I agree it's stupid to even do that, never heard of it, selling devices with or without advertisements. But they wouldn't care as much if there wasn't that at stake.
Yeah, not everyone is removing special offers. I paid $20 to remove special offers and THEN did the jailbreak solely for custom screensavers.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote