Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Well .... Hmmm .... And if Kobo's and Sony's and Overdrive's Adobe accounts were hacked from within Adobe's structure then that would open up the credit card etc info, eh.

Adobe haven't said which parts of its business was hacked into.

Edit - I know one doesn't provide credit card detail with Overdrive - they're account between libraries and Overdrive and Adobe and somewhere along that line Adobe would get payment.
I don't think you have to worry about that knowing how credit card processing works. The Processor would had to have been hacked that the store uses. Kobo and Sony both use different processors and It's two separate companies that have nothing to do with each other.

Adobe DRM is not tied to a Credit Card like Nook's it the email address that is key here. As for Overdrive there is no way that would effect anything.

Those who should worry are those who buy Adobe software from their website. Their CC info could have very well been taken but those who buy ADE ebooks should not have to worry about anything but what info is on Adobe's account page.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Got the e-mail. Reset password. I can see how this would be a problem if you no longer had access to the e-mail you used to create the account. That's where I received the notice. If you go to the Adobe site directly and try to log in (and your account is one of the affected ones), it tells you that you need to reset your password and that a link for you to do so has been sent to your e-mail account. If you don't have access to it, I think you're hooped.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Good thing our personal data is so well protected when we buy books instead of downloading them from dangerous, nasty sites that damage our computers and give us electronic cooties.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #34
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Yes, I doubt that Kobo and Sony would be affected. This whole thing did jog me to change my passwords on those accounts anyway, though, and I did a few others last night as well. One should change one's passwords from time to time anyway, and I hadn't done so for quite a while with the Sony and Kobo accounts.

I use a different password for each account in everything, and there are SO many. Whew!
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I only use Adobe for ebooks. They don't have any personal info about me (CC, address, etc).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #36
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't think you have to worry about that knowing how credit card processing works. The Processor would had to have been hacked that the store uses. Kobo and Sony both use different processors and It's two separate companies that have nothing to do with each other.

Adobe DRM is not tied to a Credit Card like Nook's it the email address that is key here. As for Overdrive there is no way that would effect anything.

Those who should worry are those who buy Adobe software from their website. Their CC info could have very well been taken but those who buy ADE ebooks should not have to worry about anything but what info is on Adobe's account page.
What I was attempting to allude to (poorly, I was on the run - my bad!) was that if some of Adobe's business partners like Kobo or Sony email accounts were hacked then the possibilities for a leach further into Kobo or Sony by the hackers using those hacked accounts (and hacking others) could also be on the cards .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
What I was attempting to allude to (poorly, I was on the run - my bad!) was that if some of Adobe's business partners like Kobo or Sony email accounts were hacked then the possibilities for a leach further into Kobo or Sony by the hackers using those hacked accounts (and hacking others) could also be on the cards .....
I don't think they would use the same password but who I am to take a guess. I heard of CEOs using their birthdates as passwords before. As for email address for Kobo or Sony it's pretty public their email addresses.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I only use Adobe for ebooks. They don't have any personal info about me (CC, address, etc).
Same here. They have only my email address. Well one of my emails not one I am concerned about.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #39
Vala
Enthusiast
Vala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1
I got the email this evening from ADE. I believe I had to use (many years ago) the same password for Sony and ADE to authorize through Borders. Does anyone think I need to call Sony before I reset the ADE password? I do have CC info in Sony but not through ADE.
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't think they would use the same password but who I am to take a guess. I heard of CEOs using their birthdates as passwords before. As for email address for Kobo or Sony it's pretty public their email addresses.
Lol re the CEO passwords, probably use it based on the theory that 'it couldn't happen to them'.

Just to be clear I'm talking about Kobo's account with Adobe for use of Adobe's services (the acsm stuff), and Sony likewise. Their respective business accounts - the accounts where Kobo pays Adobe to use their DRM services.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vala View Post
I got the email this evening from ADE. I believe I had to use (many years ago) the same password for Sony and ADE to authorize through Borders. Does anyone think I need to call Sony before I reset the ADE password? I do have CC info in Sony but not through ADE.
I'm not sure if I understand, but isn't your ADE password the same as the one you use on your Sony ereader?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Two days ago I tried signing into Mantano reader with mine it didn't take so I went to the site and it urged me to change my password which I did I then signed into Mantano no problem, yesterday I read this story on here and thought it was related but heres the weird bit today I got an email from them asking me to change my password again.

That's twice in 3 days they want me to change my password.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Two days ago I tried signing into Mantano reader with mine it didn't take so I went to the site and it urged me to change my password which I did I then signed into Mantano no problem, yesterday I read this story on here and thought it was related but heres the weird bit today I got an email from them asking me to change my password again.

That's twice in 3 days they want me to change my password.
I think they decided in the last minute to reset everyone's passwords. I don't think they truly know how bad the breach really was. Originally they just were reset people who were affected not it seems everyone has to reset it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #44
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
This was my e-mail:

Quote:
Important Customer Security Alert
To view this message in a language other than English, please click here.

We recently discovered that attackers illegally entered our network. The attackers may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password. We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account. If you have placed an order with us, information such as your name, encrypted payment card number, and card expiration date also may have been accessed. We do not believe any decrypted card numbers were removed from our systems.

To prevent unauthorized access to your account, we have reset your password. Please visit www.adobe.com/go/passwordreset to create a new password. We recommend that you also change your password on any website where you use the same user ID or password. As always, please be cautious when responding to any email seeking your personal information.

We also recommend that you monitor your account for incidents of fraud and identity theft, including regularly reviewing your account statements and monitoring credit reports. If you discover any suspicious or unusual activity on your account or suspect identity theft or fraud, you should report it immediately to your bank. You will be receiving a letter from us shortly that provides more information on this matter.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you. We value the trust of our customers and we will work aggressively to prevent these types of events from occurring in the future. If you have questions, you can learn more by visiting our Customer Alert page, which you will find here.
Adobe Customer Care
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #45
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Received the Adobe email and wanted to test if my password was actually "reset".

1. Downloaded several library books and Adobe Digital Editions worked fine.
2. Went to Adobe.com and tried to download a new version of Adobe Shockwave Player. That's when I was required to set up a new password.
3. Downloaded a few more library books after creating the new password. Digital Editions still worked fine.

Based on my test, Digital Editions was not effected by a password change. My computer was already "authorized" for Digital Editions and remained authorized.

I'm guessing that I probably could not have authorized a new computer with my old password.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote