Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #61
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Location 48, the super secret dark place where the souls of Kindle users are taken and experimented upon?
yeah Amazon doesn't believe in page numbers they give you location with some number you must decipher. It drives me crazy.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #62
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Actually you do get page numbers, now. Just tap at the top, and then a bar pops up at the bottom that shows a lot of info, including page # of page#. It's very nice. This is for both the Touch and the Paperwhite.

Has the Glo ever gone on sale? Is there a way to hack it so more of the page is used for text and less for the bottom empty space? (I hacked my kindles for margin control).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #63
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
With the standard reader you can use the full screen with no margins on top and sides, but the smallest margin on the bottom I could achieve was about 1cm.

If you install the ported kindlepdfviewer from the dev forum you can use the complete screen, but the currently ported version is still a bit problematic on touch devices.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #64
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
With the standard reader you can use the full screen with no margins on top and sides, but the smallest margin on the bottom I could achieve was about 1cm.
Can anyone provide a picture of this? Also that applies to kepubs, side loaded epubs, or both?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #65
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=307

Take a look here for a general idea, the small margin on top and the sides in can be removed aswell, but I find it more comfortable this way.

This is for sideloaded epubs, I don't work with kepubs so no idea if it works aswell.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #66
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=307

Take a look here for a general idea, the small margin on top and the sides in can be removed aswell, but I find it more comfortable this way.

This is for sideloaded epubs, I don't work with kepubs so no idea if it works aswell.
Thanks, that does look VERY good. I may start with a Mini, to get a feel for the Kobo software, since it's the cheapest but the software is the same as the Glo and the Aura.

Edit: yep, getting a good deal on a Kobo Mini. If I like it, then I will get a Glo or an Aura later in the year.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #67
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Actually you do get page numbers, now. Just tap at the top, and then a bar pops up at the bottom that shows a lot of info, including page # of page#. It's very nice. This is for both the Touch and the Paperwhite.

Has the Glo ever gone on sale? Is there a way to hack it so more of the page is used for text and less for the bottom empty space? (I hacked my kindles for margin control).

I didn't know that. I have always hated the "Loc" and have always wanted page numbers!!!

(more Karma for you )

Last edited by kikar; 04-24-2013 at 01:25 PM.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #68
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've got the Mini, and I love it. Except for the small lists/menus. I want a Glo! I may not wait very long. I am really impressed with what I have done using Calibre to make the Mini display books the way I want them to. And of course, the text customizations.

My Glo has been shipped.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #69
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
I had a Kindle before and now a Kobo Glo. To be honest I fall in love with it!! Really, the best e-reader I never see. Especially with the last Firmware 2.5.1.

Kobo made a great job!
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #70
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandafc View Post
Especially with the last Firmware 2.5.1.

Kobo made a great job!
You can access the keyboard of the dictionaries with this firmware ?

Click on the arrow to access closes the dictionary in many people.

Its a great job ?

Last edited by gouni; 04-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #71
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
With my kindle, during 2 years I never get any update from Amazon. This is not the case with Kobo that provides updates on a regular basis.

On the other hand, I agree with you that the Kobo firmware is less mature and that they should hire some additional testers ;-)

Personally I don't use this functionnality, so this last firmware fulfill my needs. Hope that they will provides a new update soon to fix this issue.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #72
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
For those in Australia, it seems Office Works is now selling the Glo for $149 with free shipping. Not a big price drop but still cheaper than $159 at Collins, Harvey Norman etc. Some of them also charge the shipping fee on top of the order.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #73
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
For those in Australia, it seems Office Works is now selling the Glo for $149 with free shipping.
I got mine from OW last year for $131 with a price match (OW gives extra -5%) to Harris Tech.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Same here. And HT still have them at $138. The price matching should still work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #75
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Same here. And HT still have them at $138. The price matching should still work.
What is "HT"?

Sorry, just saw "Harris Tech"

Last edited by TongueTied; 05-08-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: saw the answer on the post above
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote