Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Transfer 500 files to 505?

PRS 505 UK based, new ereader owner who really enjoys the device .

I have been frustrated at the lack of apparent forethought or planning given to Sony's UK site, Waterstones ie the quantity and quality of ebooks that just are not available yet.
A few days ago I found Books on Board, and was amazed to find the books I wanted in 'ereader' format. At the checkout I was disappointed to notice they are for the US version PRS 500.

Q. Will Calibre transfer the 500 files to 505 files? If not will Calibre convert Adobe Epub, Mobipocket (PX) or Microsoft reader(?) to the 505 format?

Great system Kovid. (I did search but could not find the answer in the FAQ or history)
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
PRS 505 UK based, new ereader owner who really enjoys the device .

I have been frustrated at the lack of apparent forethought or planning given to Sony's UK site, Waterstones ie the quantity and quality of ebooks that just are not available yet.
A few days ago I found Books on Board, and was amazed to find the books I wanted in 'ereader' format. At the checkout I was disappointed to notice they are for the US version PRS 500.

Q. Will Calibre transfer the 500 files to 505 files? If not will Calibre convert Adobe Epub, Mobipocket (PX) or Microsoft reader(?) to the 505 format?

Great system Kovid. (I did search but could not find the answer in the FAQ or history)
The LRF format files are common to both the 500 & the 505, as are PDF files. EPUB format files are 505 only, although you can convert them to LRF for the 500. Calibre can convert non-drm infected mobi/prc and .lit files to either LRF or EPUB.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks Jeff, time to put some heat on the credit card.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Um, the 500 does not support the "eReader" format. Are you sure it wasn't "Sony Reader" format... which would be BBeB or a .lrf file? If so, it will work on a 505. I don't think BoB even sells eReader format.

Quote:
Um, your question here is a little confusing. The 505 reads all the formats that the 500 reads. The 505 additionally supports ePub and also Secure Adobe ID DRM for ePub/PDF.

So, anything you can read on a 500 will work on a 505 without conversion.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II

Looks as if my enthusiasm has overtaken me again. Bob you are correct, they don't have the 500 or 505 format.

BoB sells the following formats.
Adobe Digital Edition

MobiPocket (PX)

Microsoft Reader

eReader

I now believe the 'ereader' format is for a palm device. Yet another $7.50 bites the dust. Never mind, still learning.
When I have bought from BoB and Fictionwise I have had to subscribe to their encoding system which produced a download in a .pdb file format which Calibre and the digital library do not recognise. Is there a method of purchasing a book from either of these sellers which will be recognised by my 505? (Bob suggests the Adobe PDF) Would mobipocket (PX) be the answer?

I want to spend my money, but there are some stumbling blocks I'm having problems with. Unfortunately the UK based Sony Store has a limited library and charges twice the US rates. (IMHO)

Any help appreciated.
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Looks as if my enthusiasm has overtaken me again. Bob you are correct, they don't have the 500 or 505 format.
No worries. I bought an eReader book for my Sony 500 when I first got it too.

Quote:
When I have bought from BoB and Fictionwise I have had to subscribe to their encoding system which produced a download in a .pdb file format which Calibre and the digital library do not recognise. Is there a method of purchasing a book from either of these sellers which will be recognised by my 505? (Bob suggests the Adobe PDF) Would mobipocket (PX) be the answer?
Well, this is up to you. The 505 will support the Secure PDFs but you will have to download Adobe Digital Editions software, create an Adobe ID, register your Digital Editions then register your reader via DE. Once you do that the Secure PDFs from BoB/FW will work on the 505. That is the "legal" way to do it.

Now, if you are willing to remove the DRM you can buy the MS Reader (LIT) files or the Mobipocket and use convertlit or mobidedrm to remove the DRM. Once you've done this you can import it into calibre and convert it to LRF (or ePub) for use on your 505.

Also, there is ereader2html which will let you remove the DRM from your ereader book to and then you can convert that with calibre.

However, you are on your own in obtaining these tools... google can help.

BOb
Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II

Thanks for the information Bob, now to fight the system.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the information Bob, now to fight the system.
No problem. Do you build aircraft engines?

BOb
Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II

PM inbound Bob, been busy shopping.