Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
Handling end notes

The book I am converting from PDF to ePub has quite a few footnotes. Not on every page, but say at least one every 5 pages. And the PDF goes for over 600 pages. Now, HTML and derivates, including ePub, are free flow formats. There are no pages thus there are no footnotes. But there could be end notes. How can I manage that in Sigil? Do I make another XHTML file at the end like a glossary and try to link somehow each line with the corresponding place in the text?
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Yes, you would handle footnote with href links. you may also want to include back links at the footnote for returning to the text. Footnotes in word are handled automatically if word files are saved in html.

Footnotes can be at the end of the document or another place some people use is at the end of each chapter with a href to jump over them when you get there. Some people even forgo the traditional footnotes and including them between the paragraph where they are referenced and the next one. This is particularly useful for explanatory footnotes. You can also use a mix of the above, depending on the kind of footnote.

Hopefully some future version will allow footnotes to be pop up windows but currently this is not the case. The ePub spec for version 3.0 may define it this way.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Artha
-----

Of course, there should be a back link, just like Wikipedia if you like.

I find it very interesting to put the notes in between paragraphs. But how can one style that to make it obvious it's a note and not a regular paragraph?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
Of course, there should be a back link, just like Wikipedia if you like.

I find it very interesting to put the notes in between paragraphs. But how can one style that to make it obvious it's a note and not a regular paragraph?
You will have to hand code and assign to the note a CSS style.
You could change the font face, change the size (smaller). I would avoid changing the color unless this book will only be viewed on colour displays
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Artha
-----

Yes, my benchmark when it's all done will be a Samsung SNE65 which has an 800x600 eInk screen and runs a ADE which seems particularly fussy. So no colors. Yet, inter-paragraph notes seems messy. Guess I'll stick with endnotes.
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
Yes, my benchmark when it's all done will be a Samsung SNE65 which has an 800x600 eInk screen and runs a ADE which seems particularly fussy. So no colors. Yet, inter-paragraph notes seems messy. Guess I'll stick with endnotes.
Endnotes is fine. I usually go that route but here is one I did with inter-paragraph notes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139087

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote