Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon Announces Cloud Player and Cloud Drive

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...rd_i=163856011

5GB free storage, only for music for now. But they must be thinking other media in the future.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also an Android app to stream the music remotely-very nice! And it's available on both the Amazon App Store and the Google Android Market-which I did not expect.
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post

5GB free storage, only for music for now. But they must be thinking other media in the future.
It's worth noting that any music you purchase from Amazon is stored for free; the 5GB is only for music you upload to the cloud. The rates for additional storage aren't that bad.

If (when) this gets rolled out to the UK (it's US-only at the moment) I'd certainly appreciate it for my Amazon purchases and would definitely consider moving my music/audio collection to it. It only supports MP3 and AAC though, and most of my music is WMA - so I'd have some work to do there...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post

The help pages suggest that you can add and access any sort of document already:

Quote:
Amazon Cloud Drive is your hard-drive in the cloud. Securely store your music, videos, photos, and documents online and access them from anywhere.

All you need is a web browser to upload, download and access your files from any computer. Back up your files to ensure that your music, photos and personal documents are available to you wherever you go.
But the Cloud Player apps only work with MP3 and AAC. As you say, the strategy must surely be to extend this to video and perhaps to merge the Kindle storage options with it for book reading.

Graham
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nice idea, but I have no need to access my files from other computers. If I had a pocket-sized Android device I might think differently.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nice idea, but I have no need to access my files from other computers. If I had a pocket-sized Android device I might think differently.
There's a Blackberry client as well, BTW.

I think that Dropbox is still the better solution for general documents, because of the way it synchronises seamlessly, but given that I do have a pocket-sized Android device, and travel a lot for work, I can see myself using this for music and video.

Really, it's when you have two mobile Android devices that this will really come into its own (after all I could simply copy my music collection to an SD card and put it in my phone).

Graham
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You can also get an additional 20GB for one year with the purchase of an MP3 album. The cheapest MP3 album I see is 69cents.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000667531
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It would be far more useful if it was a webdav share.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I'm not nearly so sanguine...

I already bought an Amazon mp3 this morning, and it offered me the option to save either to my computer (as normal) or to save to an Amazon Cloud Drive.

What scares me is that someday the option may go away, and I HAVE to save to the Cloud Drive...

And then I can only listen to my music while connected to the Internet...

And then they extend the model to e-books...

And then others extend the model to e-books...

And then I can only read my e-books while connected to the Internet...

And THAT would seriously annoy me!

I don't mind (in fact I have) a Dropbox-style cloud drive, that I can CHOOSE to use. And I hope I'm just being paranoid in my imagined scenario. But, I am afraid it's the top of a slippery slope...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Amazon Cloud Player and Amazon Cloud Drive are available for US customers only
Mmm, whatever !

Quote:
And THAT would seriously annoy me!
Me, too. But I don't think they would do that. Let them try, and we'll vote with our wallet.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
kjk

From the Terms of Use:

Quote:
5.2 Our Right to Access Your Files. You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files: to provide you with technical support and address technical issues; to investigate compliance with the terms of this Agreement, enforce the terms of this Agreement and protect the Service and its users from fraud or security threats; or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service or comply with applicable law.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

If (when) this gets rolled out to the UK
It wouldn't be legal in the UK. You can't copy music in any circumstances, even if it is only for your own use.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
It wouldn't be legal in the UK. You can't copy music in any circumstances, even if it is only for your own use.
That is self evidently false, otherwise using an iPod would be illegal, as it requires you to copy music from your iTunes library to your iPod.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I certainly wouldn't put anything secure there (anything that I wouldn't want to see on the front page of the New York Times doesn't go online, period) but it does look useful for storing things like my books-wanted list so I can access it from my netbook, random other people's computers, etc., in the event that I don't have my ebook reader with me.

As for the MP3s ... can you download them to your computer normally after storing them online? I like the idea of online storage (I buy a fair number of songs from Amazon) but I wouldn't want something I couldn't play on my car stereo.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That is self evidently false, otherwise using an iPod would be illegal, as it requires you to copy music from your iTunes library to your iPod.
http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6947326_c...p3-player.html

Presumably Itunes grants you permission to copy them to an mp3 player when you buy from there, but that permission won't extend to anything else.

It is also illegal to make your own mp3s from CD, vinyl or tape without permission from the copyright holder. (Though not something that is actively prosecuted these days).
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote