Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #61
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Default font size for recipes is 12pt. It is too much for my taste too. I already started changing that in most of the recipes I developed. In the next iteration I'll take care of the rest of the recipes including Time.
That'll be good. Also, if the bugs get worked out of the Time epub conversion, that'll give even more flexibility.

One thing I've noticed is that in many of my epub conversions, the tables of contents seem a little problematic. Sometimes they work in the Calibre viewer but not on my 700, sometimes they work on my 700 but not consistently. I wonder if it's something in the conversion, or just bugginess in the Reader. Just now I was testing my own Calibre conversion of my own The Infinite Sea, and the ToC didn't work, and the Reader slowed waaayyyy down. I powered it off and back on, and it was fine again.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #62
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
One thing I've noticed is that in many of my epub conversions, the tables of contents seem a little problematic. Sometimes they work in the Calibre viewer but not on my 700, sometimes they work on my 700 but not consistently. I wonder if it's something in the conversion, or just bugginess in the Reader. Just now I was testing my own Calibre conversion of my own The Infinite Sea, and the ToC didn't work, and the Reader slowed waaayyyy down. I powered it off and back on, and it was fine again.
You mean the table of contents accessible by the menu or an embedded table of contents. Typically, problems that can be solved with a reboot of the reader indicate bugs in the reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #63
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You mean the table of contents accessible by the menu or an embedded table of contents. Typically, problems that can be solved with a reboot of the reader indicate bugs in the reader.
Well...I've not done a systemic test, so I'm not sure. I've been puzzling over the two different tables and couldn't figure out whether they were two views of the same thing, or different tables altogether.

So I just tried my Calibre epub conversions of Sunborn and The Infinite Sea again. On the Reader, I can use the embedded ToC that I assume come from the mobi source file, at the front of the book. But the menu-accessible Contents pages are empty. In Calibre's viewer, I can use both kinds of contents pages.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well...I've not done a systemic test, so I'm not sure. I've been puzzling over the two different tables and couldn't figure out whether they were two views of the same thing, or different tables altogether.

So I just tried my Calibre epub conversions of Sunborn and The Infinite Sea again. On the Reader, I can use the embedded ToC that I assume come from the mobi source file, at the front of the book. But the menu-accessible Contents pages are empty. In Calibre's viewer, I can use both kinds of contents pages.
Send me these epub files.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #65
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Send me these epub files.
Sent PM. Can't remember how to attach files to a PM, though.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #66
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Sent PM. Can't remember how to attach files to a PM, though.
Well, here's The Infinite Sea. The Sunborn one I can't post publicly, because it's part of my "send me a receipt and I'll send you a free ebook" offer.

This one's up for free on my website, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	20342  
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Infinite Sea - Jeffrey A. Carver.epub (358.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #67
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I've downloaded .124, and while I haven't tested it yet for those Contents page problems on my own books, I did try a conversion of another long book (.prc) that had previously failed. This time Calibre produced an epub version, but it had some display problems, and attempting to use the Contents function on my Reader caused the Reader to freeze up.

I've opened a ticket and uploaded the files on the Calibre site.

It's never easy, is it?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #68
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The EPUB output will improve only as fast as I get get reports about problems with it. It took about 6 months for the LRF output to mature, I expect a longer period for the EPUB, since EPUB is a far more complex format.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #69
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

As long as I'm helping, not driving you crazy, by posting all these problems.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm renowned for my mental stability
Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #71
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
I'm renowned for my mental stability
Ah, I guess I'm just bound and determined to test both your stability and Calibre's.

Just pushed it to the limit on a 4MB dictionary that I bought in mobipocket and deDRMed. This time I was converting to LRF. Alas, it did not work. Here's the error:

isinstance() arg 2 must be a class, type, or tuple of classes and types
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\__init__.pyo", line 144, in dispatch
File "main.py", line 1068, in book_converted
File "main.py", line 1335, in job_exception
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 618, in gui_text
TypeError: isinstance() arg 2 must be a class, type, or tuple of classes and types

Do you want me to email you the source file?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hold off till the next release. I'm working on some more stability fixes. Try it with that and then if it doesn't work send it to me.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #73
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Hold off till the next release. I'm working on some more stability fixes. Try it with that and then if it doesn't work send it to me.
OK. One more data point: the deDRMed mobipocket file opens fine in Mobi Reader. It does not, however, open in the Calibre Viewer.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
mobi2oeb book.prc
[WARNING] Unknown codepage 3291908735. Assuming cp-1252
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "reader.py", line 726, in <module>
File "reader.py", line 712, in main
File "reader.py", line 264, in extract_content
calibre.ebooks.DRMError: Paradise Earth 2: Revelations

I get this error using 0.5.14. 0.5.13 did it as well. The book does not have any DRM. Mobipocket Reader can display this eBook just fine.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-29-2009 at 07:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #75
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's one of the MOBI books with "content encryption", search in the forums for that and you'll find out how to deDRM it