Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
linusnc
linusnc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can not delete specific formats

Ok I download some books in EPUB and have to convert to MOBI so I can add it to my kindle. I go into delete specific format and delete the epub. However when I go into the folder structure I can still see the epub there it says it is deleted but I see it on my computer HD. Any advice? Thanks for looking
linusnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by linusnc View Post
Ok I download some books in EPUB and have to convert to MOBI so I can add it to my kindle. I go into delete specific format and delete the epub. However when I go into the folder structure I can still see the epub there it says it is deleted but I see it on my computer HD. Any advice? Thanks for looking
It's a bug in the current release. Kovid has said that it'll be fixed in the next build. In the mean time, just delete the files manually.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just to clarify HarryT's comment - the user should still be using the Remove menu option to make sure the calibre database is updated. It is then a second step required (if you have the buggy version) to open the folder directly and delete the same book formats you chose from the file system. Not something I would personally "encourage" given the room for error but HarryT is certainly correct in that the combination will act as a workaround.

Another option (after waiting for the next release) is to use the library maintenance function to "check" the library. That will show you the orphaned file formats, and you just tick the checkboxes and click the delete button on that screen.

As an aside to Kovid - some form of multi-select would be very welcome on that screen to allow checking lots of rows at once. I had well over a hundred files that were orphaned due to this bug, and it was a bit painful scrolling and clicking each one...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I think Charles' reasoning with not providing a bulk select was to make sure you went through the items one by one to be relatively sure you knew what you were deleting. Annoying in this case, I agree, but fortunately it is a rare case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It already has the items unchecked by default which forces the user to consider them, so it seems a bit overkill to me to nanny all users with a single selection on top of that.

But as I've already done my library I'm not going to argue it further. I shall just nod my head sympathetically as every calibre user who has been actively working with their library over the last week next uses check library
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I seriosuly doubt that every calibre user will use the delete specific format function, rather like every calibre user not needing to adjust calibre's author sort algorithms

Instead, I worry about those calibre users who might be affected by this bug and in addition have copied some important files into their calibre library inadvertently at some point in the past. Adding a bulk check option will pretty much guarantee they will use it, and therefore end up deleting those files as well.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
kiwidude

I didn't mean *every* calibre user, don't you misquote me like that - you know what I meant

Was it only remove of a specific format? Was it not remove all except a format as well? I seemed to have far more books/formats than I can recall just from using remove specific format? I use all of the "Remove all formats", "Remove specific format" and "Remove all but specific format" options fairly regularly, but I didn't look at the patch to see exactly which of those was affected.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Basically any remove some formats but not delete the whole book type operation.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it only 0.8.36 that it's broken in, or does this affect earlier versions, too.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Only 0.8.36
Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - that's good to hear. I've been avoiding upgrading from 0.8.35 because of this. I'll wait for 0.8.37.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
linusnc
linusnc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you very much for your help everyone I appreciate it
linusnc is offline   Reply With Quote