Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
shyswimmer
shyswimmer began at the beginning.

Device: none
What should I get based off of these requirements?

Hi fellow mobile readers, I thought a kindle would simply solve my answer until I read reviews on other readers out there that was more overwhelming as I dig deeper. What mobile readers would fit based off of my needs?

- sort ebooks by folders and subfolders
- little to no glare
- 5"- 6"
- sd/micro sd card support
- eink pearl, tft or lcd
- bookmarking
- audio mp3 for audio books (its ok if it doesn't support it)

- don't need wifi, touch screen, other languages, dictionary (bells and whistles if included)
- brand name doesn't matter
shyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyswimmer View Post
Hi fellow mobile readers, I thought a kindle would simply solve my answer until I read reviews on other readers out there that was more overwhelming as I dig deeper. What mobile readers would fit based off of my needs?

- little to no glare
- 5"- 6"
- eink pearl, tft or lcd
- bookmarking

- don't need wifi, touch screen, other languages, dictionary (bells and whistles if included)
Well, the first one severely limits your choices. Neither K3 nor Sony do that. A Nook Color will (mostly), but you want a 5-6" screen, so no go. K3 is also out because of your desire for a memory card. An original jetBook might fit, but they're not very common, and getting a bit of age.

There may not be a solution among common manufacturers. You should be looking in the crevices and corners of the ereader market.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
shyswimmer

Thank you Jack for your input. What would my options be if it has a folder option without the subfolder and mp3 audio?

Last edited by shyswimmer; 06-08-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Uluhara
Connoisseur
Uluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyswimmer View Post

- little to no glare
- 5"- 6"
- eink pearl, tft or lcd
- bookmarking

For everything (excluding No 1) - get a Sony PRS-650

- eink peal - no glare to speak of
- 6''
- sd card slot
- eink pearl
- bookmarking, annotations, hand scribbles ...
- audio mp3, but not audible files
- touch screen
- dictionaries

Why I recommend the sony, although it is a bit pricy?

Because it is dead easy to sort my books using calibre ! Next best thing for me after my own folder / subfolder structure!

If you use calibre you can give "tags" to your books, plus you can store "series information incl. number of book in series"
Now when sending your books to the reader calibre and the sony will create "collections" based on every tag and every series so that gives you a "folder" for every tag and every series ...

For me that means: if I think before I put everything on the device to be sure to know what I want I can sort my books in calibre the way I like and have all the "folders" I need on my sony ... within those I can sort for
- date
- title
- author
- filename
- order you put them on the device

and if I later think of something else I change the infos in calibre, send my books to the sony anew and get my collections created once more

hope this helps
Uluhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
While a Kindle 3 doesn't do folders or subfolders, you can arrange your books in collections. Also, even though it doesn't have a micro sd card slot, it does have 4GB of storage which I think is the most of any reader on the market. It holds 3,500 books according to Amazon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
K3 does folders it does not do subfolders.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
If you are willing to add 3rd party software, the Sonys do do folders and sub-folders.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The jetBook fits the bill as far as I know.

If you can do without the mp3, the jetBook Lite fits the bill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
shyswimmer

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I decided to get the jetbook lite since its cheaper than sony. I'm excited and I can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge with me.