Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
How to prevent cover being replaced when sending book to device?

I have an epub with a PNG cover image. When I import the book into Calibre, the cover gets converted to JPG and stored in the Calibre library. Then when I send the book to my device (or save to disk), it seems that Calibre converts its JPG cover into PNG and uses that to replace the original cover in the epub.

This means there is a PNG --> JPG --> PNG conversion taking place for every book with a PNG cover, resulting in a loss of image quality.

How can I prevent Calibre replacing the original PNG cover with the JPG cover kept in the Calibre library?

Alternatively, is there a way to prevent Calibre converting the cover to JPG in the first place?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have an epub with a PNG cover image. When I import the book into Calibre, the cover gets converted to JPG and stored in the Calibre library. Then when I send the book to my device (or save to disk), it seems that Calibre converts its JPG cover into PNG and uses that to replace the original cover in the epub.

This means there is a PNG --> JPG --> PNG conversion taking place for every book with a PNG cover, resulting in a loss of image quality.

How can I prevent Calibre replacing the original PNG cover with the JPG cover kept in the Calibre library?

Alternatively, is there a way to prevent Calibre converting the cover to JPG in the first place?
<Not tried>
Tick No Cover in the device driver settings? I don't know if this option removes an existing cover, or just prevents one from being updated/added
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Shouldn't calibre be embedding the JPG???

I don't think there is any way.

@theducks -- where is that option?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Shouldn't calibre be embedding the JPG???

I don't think there is any way.

@theducks -- where is that option?

It is an Conversion Output option
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
covers in calibre are always jpg. JPG->PNG is lossless. PNG->JPG is not. There is no way to prevent calibre from updating covers when ending books, short of disabling the EPUB metadata writer plugin.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Okay, so the workaround I have found is to edit metadata to remove the cover before sending the book to the device, and then add the cover back and upload the thumbnails with the KoboUtilities plugin. This results in JPG thumbnails but with the original PNG cover inside the book.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote