Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Can we add the XO-1 to Devices?

So I just got my XO-1 through the Give One Get One program at Laptopgiving.org and have been playing a bit with the e-reader. Its pretty decent and in B&W mode the screen has better resolution (but the same pixel count) as the iREX Iliad.

I'm particularly interested in putting together a set of e-books that would be helpful for kids (and their parents) in nations where they might have an XO-1 given to them. So things like text books, "classics" (I'm scrounging titles from the PG archives), and Independent study books I think are all good candidates.

--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does the XO run FBReader yet? If so, then the Mobipocket ebooks we have here should work on it (I think). Try one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookie View Post
So I just got my XO-1 through the Give One Get One program at Laptopgiving.org and have been playing a bit with the e-reader. Its pretty decent and in B&W mode the screen has better resolution (but the same pixel count) as the iREX Iliad.

I'm particularly interested in putting together a set of e-books that would be helpful for kids (and their parents) in nations where they might have an XO-1 given to them. So things like text books, "classics" (I'm scrounging titles from the PG archives), and Independent study books I think are all good candidates.

--Chuck
That didn't really answer your question did it? Sorry.

The current plan is to wait and see how many XOs show up here, and how useful the device is as an ebook reader.

It's really not more of an ebook reader than a PDA or UMPC, not yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's really not more of an ebook reader than a PDA or UMPC, not yet.
Ya, I'd agree with that assessment.

As a dedicated eBook reader, the OLPC isn't there. My OLPC was able to use my iLiad formatted PDFs without a problem. But the text editor doesn't support ODF and RTF files take forever to load.

Also, it's not really meant to read eBooks. So powering it off makes it forget where it was in the eBook.

To answer the original question: Nope, fbreader doesn't work yet, but I figure it won't take too long for them to port it over. But the intended audience of the OLPC really doesn't need fbreader. Building a simple xo package will make a nice eBook using just HTML.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
But fbreader remembers where it was in your book, which an HTML reader doesn't. Just a thought.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
i have an OLPC XO laptop, and I did successfully install FBReader on it a few days ago.

When I turn off the backlight and rely on the sunlight-readable black-and-white ebook display, I use either the ambient light in the room or an LED book light that I found out about on these forums, a Dual Flex music stand light from Mighty Bright.

I went on a download-athon on a few free sites, especially after installing FBReader which I prefer over the built-in PDF reader.

I haven't got a dedicated ebook device, but I after getting my feet wet with ebooks on the XO, I can easily see this becoming a regular habit for this avid reader of paper books.
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabey8 View Post
i have an OLPC XO laptop, and I did successfully install FBReader on it a few days ago.

When I turn off the backlight and rely on the sunlight-readable black-and-white ebook display, I use either the ambient light in the room or an LED book light that I found out about on these forums, a Dual Flex music stand light from Mighty Bright.

I went on a download-athon on a few free sites, especially after installing FBReader which I prefer over the built-in PDF reader.

I haven't got a dedicated ebook device, but I after getting my feet wet with ebooks on the XO, I can easily see this becoming a regular habit for this avid reader of paper books.
If you were to use it strictly for an eBook reader how long will the battery last?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you were to use it strictly for an eBook reader how long will the battery last?

Dale
I'm not sure. But I'm going to hold off just a bit before I experiment with this question, as there's supposed to be a software upgrade available this month that offers improved power management.

Having said that, I have gotten at least five hours out of the battery when operating the XO with the backlight off... however, that's with the radio (wifi) on. I haven't experimented with turning off the wifi and backlight, but that's mostly because I keep alternating between reading, surfing, blogging, etc. (Like right now, for instance, when I have an ebook in one window and a browser in another. ) I know that's less battery life than a dedicated ebook reader gets, but the tradeoff is that the XO is spending that battery energy doing tasks that a dedicated ebook device doesn't do (or need to do).

Once the software/firmware upgrades are released, I'll experiment with battery life and be better able to answer your question.
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote